Greg Robinson and the Bye week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What will Greg Robinson's role be after the Bye week vs. Philly?

• He will play and he will start

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • He will play and see snaps on the O line but he won't start

Votes: 36 48.0%
  • He will not play

Votes: 24 32.0%

• Total voters

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I voted no except for as a injury replacement.
The team did him no favors moving him between LT and G during camp even after he admitted he was struggling. If they wanted him to start at G he should have been coached as a G from the first OTA.

Irish

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
1. Most rookies don't pay dividends right away.
2. Quick is a perfect example of why calling a draft pick a waste after one season is a f'n joke.
3. We're three games into the season and even if he doesn't play this season, no draft pick is a wasted pick after one damn season.

Don't be so short-sighted. That's PD forum talk.

If our GM was that way, our best offensive player this season wouldn't be on the team.
While I mostly agree with you, the numbers (at least so far this year) really don't prove the point

1- Clowney. Was starting but got hurt. Was dynamic in game when he played
2- Robinson. hasn't seen meaningful snaps
3- Bortles. Came into the game yesterday, will start first game next week at hardest position in league.
4- Watkins. Difference maker and best WR on his team
5- Mack. In 3 games has a total of 19 tackles, 5 of which were solo and a pass defended
6- Matthews. Starting in ATL and playing well
7- Evans. WR2 on a pitiful team. 138 yards through 3 games on 21 total targets averaging 10.6 yards per play including a long of 36
8- Gilbert. Not playing great, struggling to play in NFL so far this season, but has faced prolific offense in NO which hurts
9- Barr. Absolute play maker. 17 total tackles along with a sack and a pass defended
10- Ebron. Not really a difference maker yet, but his team is stupid talented. Megatron, Taint, Bush and Bell would take targets from ANYONE, let alone a rookie TE.
11- Lewan. Starting for Tennessee
12- Beckham Jr. Has been injured thus far. Can't imagine he is a game breaker this year with a pitiful Giants team
13- Donald. has flashed game breaking ability, has yet to really put it together for 4 qtrs. Part of stacked rotation
14- Fuller. Hero of Sunday Night Football last week. Incredible ability
15- Shazier. 19 tackles and a pass defended. Has been battling knee injury
16- Martin. Day one stater on maybe league's best offensive line
17- Mosley. 22 tackles and 2 passes defended
18- Pyror. Through 2 games has 9 total tackles and 2 passes defended

You get the point. So far, the 2014 draft class has provided 14 difference makers, 2 injured players, and 2 players that you could call disappointing in Gilbert and Robinson. The #2 pick was a premium this year, and deserves a huge portion of criticism, especially as each of these players grows and develops in legitimate game day environments.

Each day that Robinson doesn't see significant playing time on Sundays is another day he falls behind the rest of his draft class.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
While I mostly agree with you, the numbers (at least so far this year) really don't prove the point

3- Bortles. Came into the game yesterday, will start first game next week at hardest position in league.
5- Mack. In 3 games has a total of 19 tackles, 5 of which were solo and a pass defended
7- Evans. WR2 on a pitiful team. 138 yards through 3 games on 21 total targets averaging 10.6 yards per play including a long of 36
8- Gilbert. Not playing great, struggling to play in NFL so far this season, but has faced prolific offense in NO which hurts
9- Barr. Absolute play maker. 17 total tackles along with a sack and a pass defended
10- Ebron. Not really a difference maker yet, but his team is stupid talented. Megatron, Taint, Bush and Bell would take targets from ANYONE, let alone a rookie TE.
12- Beckham Jr. Has been injured thus far. Can't imagine he is a game breaker this year with a pitiful Giants team
13- Donald. has flashed game breaking ability, has yet to really put it together for 4 qtrs. Part of stacked rotation

You get the point. So far, the 2014 draft class has provided 14 difference makers, 2 injured players, and 2 players that you could call disappointing in Gilbert and Robinson. The #2 pick was a premium this year, and deserves a huge portion of criticism, especially as each of these players grows and develops in legitimate game day environments.

Each day that Robinson doesn't see significant playing time on Sundays is another day he falls behind the rest of his draft class.

Two words: Brian Quick.

One more word: Patience.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

First off, Taylor Lewan isn't starting. Roos is at LT and Oher is at RT.

And when guys like Evans and Ebron are getting the 'difference maker' tag, I think you're handing out that distinction pretty liberally.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
1. Most rookies don't pay dividends right away.
2. Quick is a perfect example of why calling a draft pick a waste after one season is a f'n joke.
3. We're three games into the season and even if he doesn't play this season, no draft pick is a wasted pick after one damn season.

Don't be so short-sighted. That's PD forum talk.

If our GM was that way, our best offensive player this season wouldn't be on the team.

Yeah my original post said we picked him for the future. That does not relieve the FO for looking like they missed on guys who could have played now.

PD that

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Saffold would slide over to RG replacing Joseph who has not played well and Robinson would be our LG.

That could be Allan, but Saffold & Long left side duo seems to be working much better than the Barksdale & Joseph duo. I do not think Boudreau would want to break up his best working OL side. I still maintain that keeping Saffold on that LEFT side next Jake Long is the the first protocol mandate in the Rams OL emergency plan as written @ OLT.... IF Jake Long goes down. Greg Robinson's name would not be found close to the header in that emergency plan ...IMO you would have to read far down into the Rams Emergency Plan notebook to find his name being mentioned in the Resolve section area.

If Robinson is ready to start in the NFL (very doubtful @ this time) & the weak post is ORG then he should be plugged in at the area of the issue at this point in time of the season. Making changes to 2/5th of your starters where you change starters @ two OL post to fix one problem issue is not desirable & not smart IMO. The best smart situation to be in ...is to plan & work to have a reserve ORG ready to go. Problem with that the very young green inexperience Robinson was not considered in OTA's, or training camp or preseason as a ORG reserve candidate. Robinson never saw the ORG post. Robinson has always been a LEFT side player.

Most all of the Ram OL'ers we saw playing behind Davin Joseph @ ORG in pre season are no longer on the 53 Ram player roster. What Boudreau has is Person, Barnes & Jones. Barnes saw Zero action this off season @ ORG. Tim Barnes does have some OG play under his NFL experience, but that was in the 2012 & 2013 pre seasons. Barnes did play OG early in his college career. Barnes IS the most experienced Ram reserve. Barnes has 34 NFL games under his belt & finished 5 games as a starting Ram center in 2013. Barnes is in his 3rd season with Boudreau.

Boudreau 2nd most experienced Ram OL'er is Mike Person. Person has four seasons of NFL training camps & pre season of experience. Person experience on the right side is from starting 34 straight college games @ ORT butt monkey here, none @ OG. Boudreau got Person early in 2013. This season Person played primarily @ OLT with Jake Long out for all OTA/TC. Person's other pre season playing experience was @ OLG & center. I thought Person performance @ center & OLT were much better than his play @ OLG. Person just does not have the power to play OG in the NFL. IMO the best places to use Person is as a reserve ORT/OLT & center not OG. Currently most Ram depth charts have Person listed as the reserve ORG.

IMO best possible answer to this seasons issues @ ORG might/may be the rehabbing special unit named Barrett Jones. Barrett Jones does have over 26 game starts @ ORG for a NCAA championship team. If he ever gets healthy he may be the best of the three & the best fit @ ORG post. This ORG post looks to be his 2nd best NFL post after Center.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Yeah my original post said we picked him for the future. That does not relieve the FO for looking like they missed on guys who could have played now.

PD that

I must've missed the memo that said we'll start grading out draft picks after three games. Next, we'll decide whether the pick was a bust or not based on the cut of their suit. :ROFLMAO:

jjab360

Legend
That could be Allan, but Saffold & Long left side duo seems to be working much better than the Barksdale & Joseph duo. I do not think Boudreau would want to break up his best working OL side. I still maintain that keeping Saffold on that LEFT side next Jake Long is the the first protocol mandate in the Rams OL emergency plan as written @ OLT.... IF Jake Long goes down. Greg Robinson's name would not be found close to the header in that emergency plan ...IMO you would have to read far down into the Rams Emergency Plan notebook to find his name being mentioned in the Resolve section area.
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here, but if you're trying to say that Robinson is not our top reserve option, you would be wrong, imo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here, but if you're trying to say that Robinson is not our top reserve option, you would be wrong, imo.

IMO At this place in time GR is not Boudreau's top reserve option. A month from now it should be a total different story.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam forgetting the past:
That could be Allan, but Saffold & Long left side duo seems to be working much better than the Barksdale & Joseph duo. I do not think Boudreau would want to break up his best working OL side.

Most all of the Ram OL'ers we saw playing behind Davin Joseph @ ORG in pre season are no longer on the 53 Ram player roster. What Boudreau has is Person, Barnes & Jones. Barnes saw Zero action this off season @ ORG.
Good stuff. Aa few things here though:

I agree with your observation about Saffold/long combo being much better than the Barksdale/Joseph combo but the reason for that is the inclusion of Joseph.

Would it be breaking up a successful duo or a reuniting of the even more successful duo of Barksdale and Saffold at RT & RG?

Finding a backup at RG is solved if Joseph is the backup.

Of course this is all just sitting around the pot bellied stove yakking if GR isn't ready to play.

Unfortunately Bonifay, our worst fears concerning the O-line seem to be on the verge of...I'll just stop there and throw some salt over my shoulder.

In addition to what both of us have been discussing all summer, who could have guessed that Wells play would have deteriorated so drastically? I wasn't thrilled with his play last year but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as what he's showing us now. Reminds me of the sudden precipitous fall of Bell but even worse.

iced

While looking at the rest of the first round...

Only 2 players in the first round have seen less Snaps than Robinson (9):

Marcus Smith(0) LB - Phillie , taken at 26 . Manziel....

Bridge water and bortles all got more snaps in yesterday.. Lewan has more after yesterday as well

Day 1 starting Linemen from first 2 rounds:
Matthews
Martin
James
Bitonio (2nd round)
Richberg (center,2nd round)
Mewhort
Britt

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The team did him no favors moving him between LT and G during camp even after he admitted he was struggling. If they wanted him to start at G he should have been coached as a G from the first OTA.

This.

From here on out through the remainder of this season, they should just focus on him learning to play G. They can start grooming him to play OT in the OTA's next year.

iced

This.

From here on out through the remainder of this season, they should just focus on him learning to play G. They can start grooming him to play OT in the OTA's next year.

makes me wonder if learning guard was too hard on him so they tried move him back to tackle, and then the clusterfuck just blew up

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

If Robinson is ready to start in the NFL (very doubtful @ this time) & the weak post is ORG then he should be plugged in at the area of the issue at this point in time of the season. Making changes to 2/5th of your starters where you change starters @ two OL post to fix one problem issue is not desirable & not smart IMO. The best smart situation to be in ...is to plan & work to have a reserve ORG ready to go. Problem with that the very young green inexperience Robinson was not considered in OTA's, or training camp or preseason as a ORG reserve candidate. Robinson never saw the ORG post. Robinson has always been a LEFT side player.

Most all of the Ram OL'ers we saw playing behind Davin Joseph @ ORG in pre season are no longer on the 53 Ram player roster. What Boudreau has is Person, Barnes & Jones. Barnes saw Zero action this off season @ ORG. Tim Barnes does have some OG play under his NFL experience, but that was in the 2012 & 2013 pre seasons. Barnes did play OG early in his college career. Barnes IS the most experienced Ram reserve. Barnes has 34 NFL games under his belt & finished 5 games as a starting Ram center in 2013. Barnes is in his 3rd season with Boudreau.

Boudreau 2nd most experienced Ram OL'er is Mike Person. Person has four seasons of NFL training camps & pre season of experience. Person experience on the right side is from starting 34 straight college games @ ORT butt monkey here, none @ OG. Boudreau got Person early in 2013. This season Person played primarily @ OLT with Jake Long out for all OTA/TC. Person's other pre season playing experience was @ OLG & center. I thought Person performance @ center & OLT were much better than his play @ OLG. Person just does not have the power to play OG in the NFL. IMO the best places to use Person is as a reserve ORT/OLT & center not OG. Currently most Ram depth charts have Person listed as the reserve ORG.

IMO best possible answer to this seasons issues @ ORG might/may be the rehabbing special unit named Barrett Jones. Barrett Jones does have over 26 game starts @ ORG for a NCAA championship team. If he ever gets healthy he may be the best of the three & the best fit @ ORG post. This ORG post looks to be his 2nd best NFL post after Center.

Barksdale is the highest graded OL on our team. The problem is Joseph, plain and simple.

Remember Saffold was slotted to play ORG when the season started, but slid to OLG when Robinson wasn't ready. When G.Rob is ready, Saffold will slide over and make the whole line stronger.

Now the center position is a bigger problem.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Did you forget that Robinson came into the game when Saffold went down week 1?

No but I would like to forget what I saw from Robinson during the game.....and even worse I like to forget what I observed Robinson specifically when I re-watch the game jjab360 two days later when it rained most of the day. You & I have had many disagreements on our Ram views on differing subjects over this last year but here once again I am simply not in agreement with your statement that Robinson is Boudreau's top reserve.

Thus far thank goodness the only OL post that had an injury event was @ OLG. It was the only OL post of the five that Greg Robinson might be able to not get embarrassed playing. The first reason that we saw Robinson in place of any other reserve in this injury event was it occurred very late in the first game with the score 34-3 & a Viking win well evident. So due to that element alone sending in Robinson to get his first NFL action & experience was good very needed for GR but his performance was very bad for the Rams offense. That's just me putting it very PC way.

Currently if an injury event was to occur early in a contested close game ....lets say @ center we would not see Robinson replacing Wells we would see Barnes. If the injury was to take place @ ORT we would not see GR replacing Barksdale but most likely the listed reserve OT named Mike Person. If an injury took place @ ORG would not see GR replacing Joseph it would be either Barnes or Person.

Most fans believe that Saffold is the magic problem fixer for any injury event...(Think on that for awhile Saffold being the main magic fix to an OL injury event????) I understand that but I do not fall into that cadre. Most think when Saffold is moved to fix the injury event @ another post ....its Robinson that goes to Saffold OLG post. That makes Robinson the first top reserve. I do not. I am mostly alone in this thought I also understand that too.

Yesterday we did not see Robinson on the field during offensive series or special teams. However I did see Barnes & Person on the field during several offensive plays on various series & on special teams. Like I said earlier I think Boudreau will resist yanking Saffold away from his entrenched starting OLG post & go with his two most experience reserves in Barnes & Person. I consider the experienced Barnes the first up reserve on any interior OL post. I also see Person as first up on any OT post fill in. That's me & we will see. But I also think that later on in the season as Boudreau works with Robinson the above will change.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Fisher is gonna pull an end around and start Robinson at QB! That ought to please people, or not