Greg Robinson and 6OL formations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
This is what happens when you have too much free time ....

Was thinking about Greg Robinson starting the season as the 6th lineman. To be clear, as far as I know, the Rams haven't announced an official starting OL and most depth charts out there list Robinson as the starting guard - so this may all be even more of a waste of time than my usual posts - but you've come this far, so here goes:

Formations that use a 6th lineman are more and more common. They still aren't widely used - we are talking about less than 5% of a team's offensive snaps - but they are out there and not just on the goal line anymore.

Just for an example - here is the Seahawks using such a formation in the NFC Championship Game

(I apologize for tarnishing this board with a Seahawks highlight)

Anyway - I got to thinking about these 6OL packages with the Rams personnel.

Really what is happening - absent an unbalanced line situation - is that the extra tackle is lining up at tight end.

Something like

Robinson Long Saffold Wells Joseph Barksdale Cook
...........................................Hill...........................................................Quick

...........................................Harkey.......................................................

...........................................Stacey.........................................................

That looks like a team that can run the ball.

So, what does this mean for Robinson?

Is this letting him learn a smaller package of plays - something he can get down pat and come out and play fast without thinking too much? Or is this the opposite - giving him yet another thing to learn. He has played guard, he has played tackle, and now we would be letting him play some tight end. (yes, he is an eligible receiver out of some of these formations)

Maybe its time for another cup of coffee.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I would like to see this team implement some more of those 'jumbo' packages. The 9ers often operate out of that full house package with 3 backs in the backfield and it's usually pretty effective. With a glut of talented runners AND o-linemen, I don't see any downside with putting as many of them on the field as possible.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Robinson seems pretty athletic. I bet he could catch a pass, if he reports as an eligible receiver.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Interesting post. I hope I see more 6 man offensive line formations from the Rams this year!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
To me this screams obvious run. If I'm the coaches, I trot this out there, get Quick to set up to block and then "let" his rusher by him to go at the QB and just toss it over the line to Quick who would likely be open. If indeed they show blitz. I'm not an X's and O's guy, but this looks like a good formation to fool some defenses into thinking its a running play.

A55VA6

Legend
Would love to see something like this. That would be one hell of a run blocking o-line.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Would be a great change of pace formation and run it down their throats!!!!!! Me like

Alan

Legend
12intheBox suffering from caffeine deprivation:
It's always time for another cup of joe. :coffee:

Great post though. (y)

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
he's very athletic and if he can get out to the second level with big boys Quick and Britt blocking on the outside I'd love to see them throw Tavon in the backfield. give him some solid blocks and just a sliver of space and he's gone

Back Jlack

UDFA
Name
Back Jlack
I like it. We have 5 rb's and 5 te's on our roster, im pretty sure that's more than what the average nfl team carries. The offense is going to rely heavily on the run especially now that Bradford went down

Memphis Ram

Legend
This is what happens when you have too much free time ....

Was thinking about Greg Robinson starting the season as the 6th lineman. To be clear, as far as I know, the Rams haven't announced an official starting OL and most depth charts out there list Robinson as the starting guard - so this may all be even more of a waste of time than my usual posts - but you've come this far, so here goes:

Formations that use a 6th lineman are more and more common. They still aren't widely used - we are talking about less than 5% of a team's offensive snaps - but they are out there and not just on the goal line anymore.

Just for an example - here is the Seahawks using such a formation in the NFC Championship Game

(I apologize for tarnishing this board with a Seahawks highlight)

Anyway - I got to thinking about these 6OL packages with the Rams personnel.

Really what is happening - absent an unbalanced line situation - is that the extra tackle is lining up at tight end.

Something like

Robinson Long Saffold Wells Joseph Barksdale Cook
...........................................Hill...........................................................Quick

...........................................Harkey.......................................................

...........................................Stacey.........................................................

That looks like a team that can run the ball.

So, what does this mean for Robinson?

Is this letting him learn a smaller package of plays - something he can get down pat and come out and play fast without thinking too much? Or is this the opposite - giving him yet another thing to learn. He has played guard, he has played tackle, and now we would be letting him play some tight end. (yes, he is an eligible receiver out of some of these formations)

That would almost be unfair.

I've wished the Rams would run some plays like this for years now. Ever since the Packers used it against them years ago. They marched up and down the field and there wasn't a thing the defense could do to stop them. It was pitiful.

In fact, such a lineup would probably work great against the Vikings.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
From Rotoworld:
No. 2 overall pick G/T Greg Robinson will come off the bench to begin the season.

Robinson was beaten out for right-guard duties by May signee Davin Joseph. Robinson is listed as the top backup to both LT Jake Long and LG Rodger Saffold. His bench status is rather embarrassing for a team that had many other needs, but decided to go with the "best player available" at No. 2 overall. Robinson should make starts at some point in 2014.

Yeah, it's incredibly embarrassing to have the luxury of giving your elite prospect a little time to develop in his rookie franking season while a former Pro Bowler mans another guard spot.

GFY Rotoworld.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Both Fisher and Snead said that Robinson would play some Sunday. Let's hope it's a heavy dose of this.