Greg Reid

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
A one-on-one interview with new St. Louis Rams cornerback Greg Reid
By Spencer Engel
May 05, 2014 9:02 am CDT
no comments
Although he’s undersized (5’8, 190 pounds), Reid was poised to have a dynamic senior season at Florida State in 2012.

He was coming off an impressive first three seasons and was looking to cap off his impressive college career with a strong senior season that would hopefully catapult him into a successful NFL career.

That’s when an unfortunate combination of events struck Reid.

He was arrested in July 2012 for possession of marijuana and driving with a suspended license. He had already been suspended for one game in the 2011 season for violating team rules, so Florida State decided to dismiss Reid from the team.

Reid transferred to his hometown college, Valdosta State, for the 2012 season but tore his ACL shortly after joining the team. As if that wasn’t bad enough, Reid found out during pre-draft workouts in 2013 that his surgery was botched and that his ACL was torn again. Reid had to go through yet another surgery and rehab while caught in football purgatory.

And yet, Reid’s athleticism and pedigree (he was a four-star cornerback coming out of high school) was enough for the St. Louis Rams to take a chance on the dynamite cornerback by signing him to a contract in March.

After toiling away for more than two years without playing a single minute of game action, Greg Reid is focused on getting back on the football field and contributing to his team.

I had a chance to interview Reid recently about his goals for the upcoming season, his training, his rehab, his recent off-field troubles and more.

Spencer Engel: How’s the knee?

Greg Reid: Great. It hasn’t been giving me any problems. Surgery didn’t go right the first time, but it’s better now.

SE: Where are you doing your training?

GR: I’ve been in St. Louis four weeks, so it’s all been here. I’m staying in an extended stay hotel suite.

SE: You had an off-field incident last month. Care to explain what happened?

GR: I was never a bad kid. I was raised right and had a good heart. I got in trouble at Florida State for minor in possession. The arrest a few weeks ago was a technical violation. I supposedly didn’t report in even though I called my P.O. (parole officer) a bunch of times with no callbacks. I found out about my warrant on a radio show. I was in Atlanta on my way to St. Louis to get a jump on training when I learned of the warrant. So I was heading to Valdosta to turn myself in, and they saw my car and pulled me over. It’s all handled now.

SE: Do you have any family around this offseason in St. Louis?

GR: Nope, it’s just me. I’ve got a son back home named Ayden. He’ll be two in June. I’m hoping to see him really soon.

SE: Have you explored St. Louis yet?

GR: I haven’t done much in St. Louis, but I did go down to the city last Saturday to Ballpark Village. Also went to 360, which was a really cool spot.

SE: What did you do last year when you were out of football?

GR: For the first couple months I wasn’t able to do anything. Once I was able to walk, I went down to Miami. I worked with Mike Smith from D2D Performance. I just really committed myself to faith and rehab.

SE: Why the Rams? Did you have other teams inquiring about your services?

GR: Other teams wanted me to visit, but once I got to Rams Park, I knew this was the place I wanted to be. It was similar to my college decision with Florida State. I just knew it was right. The enthusiasm, the defensive coordinator and the players all influenced his decision.

SE: How about Jeff Fisher and Les Snead? Tell me a bit about what they’re like to work with.

GR: I’m really looking forward to it. They’re two great, honest individuals. Coach Fisher is someone I can look forward to working with. He really knows what he’s doing and is a trustworthy man.

SE: How do you envision your role on the Rams?

GR: Just being a great player and teammate. Working hard to make everyone better. I know God blessed with me the talent.

SE: What’s the most memorable play you’ve had in your football career?

GR: Everyone brings up the hit on Lattimore, but I had a great return against Maryland my freshman year that helped us keep Bobby Bowden’s bowl streak going.

SE: What are your short-term and long-term NFL goals?

GR: My short-term goal is making the team and making an impact. Long-term goal is finding me a house in St. Louis and being here for years. Also being nominated to the Pro Bowl and winning a ring. I want to put St. Louis back on the map!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
R: My short-term goal is making the team and making an impact. Long-term goal is finding me a house in St. Louis and being here for years. Also being nominated to the Pro Bowl and winning a ring. I want to put St. Louis back on the map!

Loved this, great read!

bluecoconuts

Legend
He's saying it's his parole officer and not his probation officer. What's the difference @bluecoconuts ?

Probation is sentence by a judge, usually in lieu of prison time, parole is granted by a prison board for those being released early, if they break rules usually they get sent right back to prison, depending on what you did of course.

Alan

Legend
Thanks blue. That's what I thought but just making sure.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Good to hear he has been working hard and staying busy in StL. Sounds like a good guy that got caught up in a bad law and injury. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the team.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good to hear he has been working hard and staying busy in StL. Sounds like a good guy that got caught up in a bad law and injury. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the team.
You know how big it would be if we essentially already have Lamarcus Joyner on our roster in Greg Reid. We could suddenly see a pretty deep secondary if the Rams decide to draft a FS and CB in the draft. I'm getting a little giddy with excitement!

rdw

Pro Bowler
Good interview and I'll be rooting for him to succeed for the Rams and for him and his family.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I thought the parole violation might be something like that. It seems that most POs don't give two shits about the people they are over-seeing. One of my employees had almost the exact same thing happen on a couple occasions. And yes... I verified.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
This guys is a player. Two ACL's doesn't mean he can't play; it his time away from football that hurts his chances of success this year---but even then this guy is a PLAYER! He isn't a long shot, I think McGee will be the long shot...THey will draft another corner too. Reid will replace Janoris as a slot corner when Janoris hits the bench in 2015....Janoris will be elsewhere in 2016.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

I hadn't seen this... Whoa! Marcus better hope he doesn't meet Greg on the gridiron this year!

bluecoconuts

Legend
I thought the parole violation might be something like that. It seems that most POs don't give two shits about the people they are over-seeing. One of my employees had almost the exact same thing happen on a couple occasions. And yes... I verified.

Most don't, many parole/probation officers deal with so many guys that are turds, when they get someone who's really trying to turn it around, they're so jaded from the other guys they're almost numb to it. Some are just A-holes, some are great guys. It all depends on who you get and how that person is. Since there isn't really much else coming from this situation, I think that Reid's parole officer is a pretty nice guy, and likely went to back for him. Hence why it was a quick easy thing, they have to bring him in for the paperwork, but I'm sure his PO came in and cleared it up. I wouldn't worry about anything in terms of off the field stuff.