Greg Olson QB Coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Found this on reddit.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blo...b-derek-carr-reveals-why-greg-olson-was-right

The Greg Olson hire wasn’t about yards or points for Jaguars coach Gus Bradley.

It was about protecting quarterback Blake Bortles. That was evident from my conversation with Oakland quarterback Derek Carr on Wednesday afternoon. Carr spent his rookie season working under Olson, the Oakland offensive coordinator last season.

When Bradley hired Olson last week, the first stat that stood out was that the Raiders were last in total offense.

Carr says there’s another stat to focus in on. One that makes more sense for the Jaguars considering the team surrendered a franchise-worst 71 sacks last season.

Despite facing nearly the heaviest amount of blitzes in the league last season, Carr was only sacked 24 times.

“Coach Olson taught me so much about protections,” Carr said. “We were one of the top two or three most-pressured teams in the NFL while still being one or two in least amount of sacks. His big deal is eliminating hits on the quarterback. That’s something that Gus probably liked when interviewing him. I’m sure he wanted to eliminate hits on their franchise guy.”

Bortles was sacked 55 times last season. Carr already has an idea of how their first few days of working together will go.

“Day One, as soon as Blake gets with coach Olson, all they’re going to talk about is protection,” Carr said. “All they’ll talk is blitzes.”

Carr threw for 3,207 yards with 21 touchdowns and 12 interceptions last season in 16 starts, after being selected in the second round (36th overall). He believes working with Olson will be beneficial as he tries to build on his first season.

“Being under coach Olson and learning from him, I’ll have a protection plan for the rest of my life,” Carr said. “Just spending that one year with him. There won’t be a look or a pressure that I’ll see where I have no clue what to do. I’ll know exactly how I want to pick it up and exactly how to pick it up, because of how he taught me and what he taught me.”

Bortles reached out to Carr to get a sense of Olson. Bortles threw for 2,908 yards with 11 touchdowns and 17 picks last season.

“Blake’s going to love him,” Carr said. “I talked to Blake about him and told him ‘Dude, you got a good one,’ because I love coach Olson. He’s a friend I’ll have for the rest of my life. I think Blake will really enjoy learning from him.”

Well I'll be damned, they want to teach the kid how to protect himself!!!

What an earth-shattering concept... I thought that every Rams QB since 2002 is supposed to get pounded into a chunky pulp of inconsistency, injury and in-escapability...

Sounds like McVay wants to give Jared an education in how to protect himself against National Football League Defenses.

Well.. that aint how we do it 'round these parts, Coach McFancy Pants, this is the RAMS and we like watchin' our Quarterbacks get the everlivinshit beat out of 'em, LIKE A MAN, not like some nimbly pimbly Derek Carr or that pussy Drew Brees...

...shoot, next thing ya know they'll want to "Improve the offensive line".
...I tell ya, I just dont feel like this new staff cares about our traditions...

bluecoconuts

Legend
Found this on reddit.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blo...b-derek-carr-reveals-why-greg-olson-was-right

It was about protecting quarterback Blake Bortles. That was evident from my conversation with Oakland quarterback Derek Carr on Wednesday afternoon. Carr spent his rookie season working under Olson, the Oakland offensive coordinator last season.

When Bradley hired Olson last week, the first stat that stood out was that the Raiders were last in total offense.

Carr says there’s another stat to focus in on. One that makes more sense for the Jaguars considering the team surrendered a franchise-worst 71 sacks last season.

Despite facing nearly the heaviest amount of blitzes in the league last season, Carr was only sacked 24 times.

“Coach Olson taught me so much about protections,” Carr said. “We were one of the top two or three most-pressured teams in the NFL while still being one or two in least amount of sacks. His big deal is eliminating hits on the quarterback. That’s something that Gus probably liked when interviewing him. I’m sure he wanted to eliminate hits on their franchise guy.”

Bortles was sacked 55 times last season. Carr already has an idea of how their first few days of working together will go.

“Day One, as soon as Blake gets with coach Olson, all they’re going to talk about is protection,” Carr said. “All they’ll talk is blitzes.”

Carr threw for 3,207 yards with 21 touchdowns and 12 interceptions last season in 16 starts, after being selected in the second round (36th overall). He believes working with Olson will be beneficial as he tries to build on his first season.

“Being under coach Olson and learning from him, I’ll have a protection plan for the rest of my life,” Carr said. “Just spending that one year with him. There won’t be a look or a pressure that I’ll see where I have no clue what to do. I’ll know exactly how I want to pick it up and exactly how to pick it up, because of how he taught me and what he taught me.”

Bortles reached out to Carr to get a sense of Olson. Bortles threw for 2,908 yards with 11 touchdowns and 17 picks last season.

“Blake’s going to love him,” Carr said. “I talked to Blake about him and told him ‘Dude, you got a good one,’ because I love coach Olson. He’s a friend I’ll have for the rest of my life. I think Blake will really enjoy learning from him.”

That already makes McVay smarter than any coach we've had the past decade.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Well I'll be damned, they want to teach the kid how to protect himself!!!
Well.. that aint how we do it 'round these parts, Coach McFancy Pants, this is the RAMS and we like watchin' our Quarterbacks get the everlivinshit beat out of 'em, LIKE A MAN, not like some nimbly pimbly Derek Carr or that wuss Drew Brees...

...shoot, next thing ya know they'll want to "Improve the offensive line".
...I tell ya, I just dont feel like this new staff cares about our traditions...

THAT SH!T was H I L A R I O U S to read badnews!

I almost spit up my water laughing

Spits-drink.gif

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know anything about him so I'll just hope he is better than Weinke for now.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I don't know anything about him so I'll just hope he is better than Weinke for now.

I don't know a great deal about him either but surely anyone that's been hired (or is yet to be hired) by McVay has to be an upgrade surely.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Yes. But Goff's mechanics can always get better. He was by far the best QB in the draft in terms of mechanics, but even guys like Brady and Matt Ryan have used offseason time to work with coaches like Tom House to perfect their mechanics. You can always get better. Which is why I would have preferred a coach who is a bit more meticulous when it comes to that aspect of the game.

At the end of the day, though, if Goff wants to work on that part of his game, he can find outside coaching. I hope he does. His mechanics are quite good, but they can get better.

I have a feeling McVay may be that Anal coach when it comes to mechanics

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well we tried this experiment once already but QB coach might be fine. He hasn't exactly been successful anywhere in the NFL for his career.

Like his experience . He will add a lot to the coaching staff. Wonder what Stan is paying him.

80,000 for a preseason game. Chargers will play in a 30;000,

Why take QB vs OC ?? NFL says it's a lateral movement. I think pay is a game changer .

Didn't read H & N bergs quote first. Have to agree with pay.

Last edited:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
the first stat that stood out was that the Raiders were last in total offense
Obviously not having your young QB get pounded is a no-brainer, but can't gloss over that little "dead last in offense" thing as a result. Just having your QB get rid of the ball to save his own ass with a lot of short dump offs is not the answer. Olson was no doublt traumatized watching Bulger getting killed, but I hope he teaches the goal is that sweet spot where a QB attacks and imposes his will on a defense while still not, y'know, getting himself killed. Of course it remains to be seen if the Rams get the OL or protection schemes to do so.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Obviously not having your young QB get pounded is a no-brainer, but can't gloss over that little "dead last in offense" thing as a result. Just having your QB get rid of the ball to save his own ass with a lot of short dump offs is not the answer. Olson was no doublt traumatized watching Bulger getting killed, but I hope he teaches the goal is that sweet spot where a QB attacks and imposes his will on a defense while still not, y'know, getting himself killed. Of course it remains to be seen if the Rams get the OL or protection schemes to do so.

That Raiders team also wasn't talented at all. It's the Raiders team that we beat 59-0 or something like that. Carr did about the best he could with what he had around him.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
That Raiders team also wasn't talented at all. It's the Raiders team that we beat 59-0 or something like that. Carr did about the best he could with what he had around him.
52-0. But yeah, his best weapon that year was Kenbrell Thompkins.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like his experience . He will add a lot to the coaching staff. Wonder what Stan is paying him.

80,000 for a preseason game. Chargers will play in a 30;000,

Why take QB vs OC ?? NFL says it's a lateral movement. I think pay is a game changer .

Didn't read H & N bergs quote first. Have to agree with pay.
Well there also is the fact that Buffalo is on its 4th Head coach (and staff) in the last 6 years. At least with the Rams our leadership has shown patience with its Head Coach (even if its to a fault)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My guess is that Goff's dropback mechanics were poor - he hasn't really had to do it. Will prob need work on that. Someone somewhere said that McVay wants to change his release point. We'll see...

The first thing, and only thing to date I have heard McVay reference with Goff's mechanics is his throwing angle. Probably going to have him going more over the top.

Good thing is his feet are excellent, and he's got a good motion/release, so we're not talking mechanics overhaul or anything.

Scirca

Rookie
The first thing, and only thing to date I have heard McVay reference with Goff's mechanics is his throwing angle. Probably going to have him going more over the top.

Good thing is his feet are excellent, and he's got a good motion/release, so we're not talking mechanics overhaul or anything.

Where did you hear Sean Mcvay wanting to change Goff's throwing angle, because I've heard him say and I quote "Jared can change his launch point", what he was saying is that Jared can throw from various arm angles.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Found this on reddit.

This would be fantastic because Goff has a huge weakness in holding the ball.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Where did you hear Sean Mcvay wanting to change Goff's throwing angle, because I've heard him say and I quote "Jared can change his launch point", what he was saying is that Jared can throw from various arm angles.

That's a good observation, and to mix up those angles because not every launch point will be the same play after play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

It might have been launch point that he mentioned, but changing that requires some arm angle adjustments from his in-pocket throws. My presumption on hearing it was that he wanted to use Goff's height and eliminate batted balls.

And again that stuff isn't a big deal, it's normal QB stuff but what I like is that Sean has looked at tape of Jared and has adjustments in mind to strengthen his game. It bodes well for us.