Greg Gaines 'trimmed down,' built up muscle ahead of training camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_10429593.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | July 25, 2019 10:37 am ET

Rookie Greg Gaines has some big shoes to fill at nose tackle after Ndamukong Suh left the Rams to sign with the Buccaneers in free agency. He’ll try to fill them with a slimmed-down physique and more muscle than he had back in OTAs and minicamp.

Gaines arrived for training camp on Wednesday, along with the rest of the rookies and quarterbacks, and told the media that he spent the offseason slimming down and building muscle.

“I’ve been trying to lean down a little bit. Dropped down to about 307 pounds now, so gonna be a little faster,” he said. “I was like 315, so trimmed down a smidge – think I built up some muscle this offseason. I’m just trying to be in the best shape I can be and compete on the field.”

Gaines is a powerful player and came into the NFL with good size. He still has the build to play nose tackle, but being faster and quicker will only help him on the interior. That’s part of what makes Aaron Donald as great as he is – among other things, of course.

Gaines made it seem like slimming down was no big deal for him, boiling it down to simply working out and eating healthier.

“Work out a lot, eat better,” he said. “I just have a little cheat meal once a week if there’s something I really wanted. I’d go to In-N-Out maybe.”

Gaines will compete with Sebastian Joseph-Day for the starting nose tackle job, which is where Suh played 16 games last season. The coaching staff was quick to praise Gaines after the team landed him in the fourth round, saying he’s a candidate to step in right away as the starter in the base defense.

Only time will tell who wins the job, but Gaines has a great chance to start alongside Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In-n-out cheat meal soundin reaaaaallly good right now...

56d856fb2e526543008bafc7-750-563.jpg

oldnotdead

Legend
Torturer!!!! I wish I could eat like that. I used to and that's why I can't now.

MY ADVICE TO ALL MY FELLOW POSTERS: DON'T GET OLD and if you do don't die. Don't become one of the walking dead we see every day. People just going through the motions not appreciating the gift of life.

Back to Gaines....I think AD's influence is showing. Quickness and power is what you need playing inside in a one gap scheme. He may surprise many but having watched him for years, I know what the Rams have in him. You have to love the commitment and work ethic he's already showing. He already has a good power game, so if he can improve his quickness watch out!

What I didn't like about Suh was his on again off again drive. Suh could have been one of the greats....so much better than he is even now. Gaines is nonstop 100% on every down. It's why I think the Rams got better in the middle. Gaines is going to be far more consistent.

Geez can you imagine if they develop into AD & AD jr inside.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I’m not sure another AD is what they want. They want a nose tackle type, and that’s not what AD is.

oldnotdead

Legend
This is a one gap penetrating defense. That is absolutely what they want. He is more than willing to eat up blockers. What better way then to force a double team. If Gaines is explosive off the ball the center is in a bind. Which way does he block? Can his OG make the block?

That is exactly what the one gap penetration concept is all about. You have 3 guys to block two. Which guy are you going to single up on? If it's Gaines, then Gaines need to beat that block and blowup the pocket. It's pick your poison. Don't mistake this for a standard 3-4 where the NT is playing a 0T and it's a two gap concept. In that concept AD wouldn't be expected to make plays, his job would be to control gaps and eat up blockers allowing for the LBs to make the plays. Gaines will be playing a 1T and expected to attack the A gap. That is why he's trying to get quicker and stronger. He's no longer just there to eat up blockers as he was at UW.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
They wouldn’t have drafted a tank if they wanted a missile, otherwise they would have drafted a missile. But they drafted a tank who was not known for getting to the quarterback, but was known for taking up space so others could get to the quarterback. He was also known for being good against the run.

Now are you saying that the Rams drafted him to be something he’s never been? That my friend would be bad drafting, something that McVay and Snead just don’t do. Now is that what you want them to do?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They wouldn’t have drafted a tank if they wanted a missile, otherwise they would have drafted a missile. But they drafted a tank who was not known for getting to the quarterback, but was known for taking up space so others could get to the quarterback. He was also known for being good against the run.

Now are you saying that the Rams drafted him to be something he’s never been? That my friend would be bad drafting, something that McVay and Snead just don’t do. Now is that what you want them to do?

He had 4.5 sacks last season. He was improving as a pass rusher from all reports. Yes, he was drafted primarily as a guy who will fill up a LOT of space in the middle, but also as a guy who can do so while still intimidating the QB. I don't expect him to get a ton of sacks, but I do expect him - either in 2019, or to develop into - to be a guy that offenses have to game plan to prevent him from breaking their QBs into tiny bits. And based on this article, the Rams and Gaines are hoping that is sooner rather than later.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wasn't one of the 'issues' with Suh in the Rams/Philips 3/4 that he tended to 'instinctively' penetrate rather than 'stay home' and eat blockers ? Gaines may be the better fit because his role has most always been to provide that traditional run stuffing NT ability. At least at the beginning of Gaines' career, perhaps for those more obvious pass rushing downs, maybe Brockers should still be inside next to Donald. jmo.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
No that wasn't an issue with Suh. Consistent effort was the issue with Suh.

Early in his time at UW they were one of the few programs that ran a 3-4 defense. It was a traditional 3-4 not a hybrid. Therefore Gaines was a 0T NT. As such his role was to be a 2 gap stuffer so his role wasn't to penetrate on passing downs. Last year Gaines played in a one gap system and he showed he could become a factor in the pass rush.

You don't honestly think he transformed himself strictly on his own without consulting the team that drafted him do you? He obviously was doing it during OTA's. He's becoming the player they envisioned when they drafted him.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
If anyone is worried about Gaines "trimming down" and ability to play his position ... just look up Geno Atkins and/or Kyle Williams. Very similar statures and usage. And neither of those guys had an Aaron Donald to play next to. His height gives him the advantage of leverage. Combine that with even more improved strength ..... well ... look at AD....

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Torturer!!!! I wish I could eat like that. I used to and that's why I can't now.

MY ADVICE TO ALL MY FELLOW POSTERS: DON'T GET OLD and if you do don't die. Don't become one of the walking dead we see every day. People just going through the motions not appreciating the gift of life.

Back to Gaines....I think AD's influence is showing. Quickness and power is what you need playing inside in a one gap scheme. He may surprise many but having watched him for years, I know what the Rams have in him. You have to love the commitment and work ethic he's already showing. He already has a good power game, so if he can improve his quickness watch out!

What I didn't like about Suh was his on again off again drive. Suh could have been one of the greats....so much better than he is even now. Gaines is nonstop 100% on every down. It's why I think the Rams got better in the middle. Gaines is going to be far more consistent.

Geez can you imagine if they develop into AD & AD jr inside.

Just got my blood work and it's all good except for the bad cholesterol. I'm eating avocados instead of in n out!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
From what I saw on day one, and I was real close, Jo-Day was bigger, quicker and more in tune than Gaines. Not saying Gaines was bad, he wasn't, just that Day was better. Noticably in better condition that last TC. Good compitition.

Lets see how they look today.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Just got my blood work and it's all good except for the bad cholesterol. I'm eating avocados instead of in n out!
Hawthorn Berry improves heart health, lowers bad cholesterol and boosts antioxidant levels.

nighttrain

Legend

e.

OLD AGE AIN'T FOR SISSIES!

THIS I KNOW!
TRAIN

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Lot of people are going to be surprised by how quick Gaines is for his size and look. He is a leverage guy first but when he gets a seam he can burst through it.

Wait until we have a few pads practices. Guy like him is simply not gonna show until physicality factors in.

And if SJD beats him out I will be happy, since it means we are now 2 deep on the nose. But I doubt he will be able to hang with Gaines once he settles in.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey Greg, just got a Hawaiian with extra ham in honor of your slimming down goals! @RamFan503 It has delicious chunks of pineapple all over it:rockon:

oldnotdead

Legend
That's cool Bubba....kinda hard to see from my balcony, the Modelo bottle on the railing gets in the way. Thanks for the first hand input....appreciate it!!

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
[QUOTE="LoyalRam, post: 1215818, @RamFan503 It has delicious chunks of pineapple all over it:rockon:[/QUOTE]

Uhh-boy...here we go :fuelfire: :ROFLMAO: