Greg Cosell with Cusumano (audio)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I feel kinda validated about my earlier opinion that Clemens is more apt to throw the ball downfield than Bradford has been as of late. That's not a knock on Bradford, and neither me nor Cosell is suggesting that Clemens is the answer at QB for the Rams. It's just an observation based on his previous play, that he has more of a gun-slinger mentality in that he's always got his eyes downfield.

That could work for or against the Rams for obvious reasons. Maybe he'll connect on more intermediate range throws. And at the same time, he could also NOT connect on those and throw more picks, which would subsequently put us in a hole very early. If there's one thing that I'm excited about as it relates to Clemens, it's that he'll take chances and force some throws. My only concerns are that (a) he'll hold the ball too long and get the snot knocked out of him and (b) we don't know how effective the routes are going to be run. He could throw the ball to a predetermined spot, but there's still a chance nobody will be there to catch it.

It's gonna be interesting fo sho.
Here's the interview (also talks about defense, Fisher, penalties, run game, etc)

[av]http://www.insidestlaudio.com/Pressbox/102513-2PB.mp3[/av]
http://www.insidestlaudio.com/Pressbox/102513-2PB.mp3

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
And every game that I watch with another QB, when they pull the trigger on intermediate throws the whole game, they have at least 2, if not more picked off, or should have been picked off, not to mention receivers getting clocked. Defenses defend this part of the field better than they ever have, because of the athleticism of hybrid LB's, and safeties. I am of the firm opinion that he is coached to not make those throws unless they are very low risk. Hell I've heard it from Sam himself, when he said before this season started that coaches said that he needed to live with checkdowns and not force things, in part to circumvent pressure and sacks. We drafted players to make plays off of those checkdowns. To this point they haven't been successful.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And every game that I watch with another QB, when they pull the trigger on intermediate throws the whole game, they have at least 2, if not more picked off, or should have been picked off, not to mention receivers getting clocked. Defenses defend this part of the field better than they ever have, because of the athleticism of hybrid LB's, and safeties. I am of the firm opinion that he is coached to not make those throws unless they are very low risk. Hell I've heard it from Sam himself, when he said before this season started that coaches said that he needed to live with checkdowns and not force things, in part to circumvent pressure and sacks. We drafted players to make plays off of those checkdowns. To this point they haven't been successful.
Well, I'm not anticipating Clemens throwing *all* intermediate passes, but he does have a tendency to look for those first. Which is why I said that could potentially work against us, and as you affirmed above. I'm sure he'll be coached roughly the same way Sam has, but it's up to the QB after that to make his own reads and determine on his own what throw he wants to make. That's sorta the difference between the two, IMO. And if Stacy is successful early, then some of those plays will be there for the taking. I respect Cosell a lot (and I suspect most everyone else does as well), so when he says that he expects Clemens to try to make some of those throws out of sheer habit, then I think that's something we should all look for.

How it works out is another story entirely. It could be very bad, or it could be very good. And I don't want anyone to misconstrue what I'm saying here. I don't think Clemens is the better QB, nor do I think he'll do better. I just expect a different *look* out of the offense in his absence. I hope he does well, because I want the team to succeed above any single player on the team doing well.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well, I'm not anticipating Clemens throwing *all* intermediate passes, but he does have a tendency to look for those first. Which is why I said that could potentially work against us, and as you affirmed above. I'm sure he'll be coached roughly the same way Sam has, but it's up to the QB after that to make his own reads and determine on his own what throw he wants to make. That's sorta the difference between the two, IMO. And if Stacy is successful early, then some of those plays will be there for the taking. I respect Cosell a lot (and I suspect most everyone else does as well), so when he says that he expects Clemens to try to make some of those throws out of sheer habit, then I think that's something we should all look for.

How it works out is another story entirely. It could be very bad, or it could be very good. And I don't want anyone to misconstrue what I'm saying here. I don't think Clemens is the better QB, nor do I think he'll do better. I just expect a different *look* out of the offense in his absence. I hope he does well, because I want the team to succeed above any single player on the team doing well.
You mentioning Stacy is huge, or more on point a running game, because that keeps the linebackers from being able to take those deep drops that take away the middle. It's no coincidence that the offense started opening up when the running game opened up, and that is just one of the reasons. BTW, I didn't remotely think you were saying that he would ONLY, or MOSTLY throw intermediate passes, but there should be more open now that we have a P/A game again.

I do respect Cosell, and I was very happy to hear when he was not only mentioned the coaching, but also that he didn't know what the play was, or what the QB could see. Like I've mentioned in other posts previously, you can't scout what you don't know, all you are doing is making a guess, and probably a wrong one. A QB can't spot a receiver on the far side of the field on a 3 step drop, if a play is set up for a Tavon bubble screen for instance. You also can't look someone off on a 3 step drop as some have suggested in the past, because if he tries that he gets a reach around at best, lol.

I expect a different look too. I expect for Kellen to bail early and then the whole field will be his oyster. The receivers will have to get open, or break their routes, and I hope that they have enough sense to do that, or he's gonna get picked off, or miss completely. That is what I expect to see. He does have the benefit of what Sam didn't until the last couple games, the threat of a running game. Teams might stack the box, and make him try to win, instead of the other way around. Could be interesting.