Greg Cosell Talks Rams, Robinson, QB's, Gregg Williams + More

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Somehow I missed this the first time I read your post. Are you saying this from your own observations or did you read that somewhere? I ask because I could swear I read that too and yet I can't remember where. I've been trying to remember that for days now. :LOL: I hate when that happens.

Well stated in your post Doc! Totally agree too. :)
My own eyes, against a very good player, he had a hold that took away a huge play, and he gave up a sack. He's only playing RT, BTW. He will be a good to very good player, not trying to diss him, but I like our player too:) They really like him...Matthews.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
So do you think that GR's play so far this year, while less than stellar, is still better than Shelly's was last year?
I'll answer for me, not Bonifay. He is better than S. Smith, but he has struggled mentally. That is the difference, but in that difference, I'll take G. Rob every time, because he can, has, and will dominate, S. Smith never has, can't. or will. It's a playbook issue right now, but not because he's a dumb ass, it's because Auburn's offense is very gimmicky and non standard, IMO. Tre is probably suffering in the same way. Remember...Robinson is an underclassmen also. He WILL get it, or I will stop being a Rams fan. Strongest endorsement that I can give.

Alan

Legend
DR RAM liking GR:
I'll answer for me, not Bonifay. He is better than S. Smith, but he has struggled mentally. That is the difference, but in that difference, I'll take G. Rob every time, because he can, has, and will dominate, S. Smith never has, can't. or will. It's a playbook issue right now, but not because he's a dumb ass, it's because Auburn's offense is very gimmicky and non standard, IMO. Tre is probably suffering in the same way. Remember...Robinson is an underclassmen also. He WILL get it, or I will stop being a Rams fan. Strongest endorsement that I can give.
That's interesting. My impression of his play is almost the same as yours but I came to a different conclusion. The thing about SS is that I don't remembering him missing very many assignments or pick ups. He was usually in the right place, he just wasn't very good at anything he did. That kind of play isn't good but rarely gets your QB killed because he usually gets a piece of whoever he's pass blocking against. Ineffectual many times but but the guy wasn't going in on the QB untouched.

GR on the other hand, completely misses assignments or pick ups and a rusher comes in untouched. That is likely to get your QB killed. He may not fail as often as SS and he might be run blocking a little better than SS but if I was worried about Austin starting as our QB I'd rather have SS there.

As I've said before though, I fully expect GR to be starting by the middle of the season. Either purely through merit or due to other factors that I won't mention.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That's interesting. My impression of his play is almost the same as yours but I came to a different conclusion. The thing about SS is that I don't remembering him missing very many assignments or pick ups. He was usually in the right place, he just wasn't very good at anything he did. That kind of play isn't good but rarely gets your QB killed because he usually gets a piece of whoever he's pass blocking against. Ineffectual many times but but the guy wasn't going in on the QB untouched.

GR on the other hand, completely misses assignments or pick ups and a rusher comes in untouched. That is likely to get your QB killed. He may not fail as often as SS and he might be run blocking a little better than SS but if I was worried about Austin starting as our QB I'd rather have SS there.

As I've said before though, I fully expect GR to be starting by the middle of the season. Either purely through merit or due to other factors that I won't mention.
I'm sure S. Smith at the same point in his career wasn't stellar at nailing his assignments either, in fact, he was still in college for a couple more years. I agree with what you say about him as a Ram though. Pretty spot on. If Robinson reaches half of his potential, you will get lynched for mentioning them in the same sentence.;)

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
I prefer to think of myself as a hare thank you. More dignified.