Greg Cosell On R Wilson, Kap…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
There's a difference between a 2-14 team that's perennially that bad, and the 2011 Colts. That team had gone to the playoffs 11 times the 12 years prior to Manning behing hurt. And their O-line was a disaster that year. The defense too (28th). You can't win with Painter. No team wins with Painter. That dude should be an ACTUAL Painter instead. Not taking anything away from Luck, because he had a great rookie year, but was it really THAT great?

Let's do a little contrast. Bradford's rookie year vs Luck's rookie year.*

Luck threw for 54 yards more per game than Bradford.
Luck had a 54% completion percentage. Bradford had a 60% completion percentage.
They both had the same exact QB rating (76.5)
Luck had 5 more TDs, but a higher interecption total and interception %.
Luck got sacked 41 times - Bradford 34.

In a vacuum, it doesn't look like one QB is that much better than the other. The Rams' TEAM, however, lost 4 games by a margin of 4, 2, 1, and 3 points before their receivers started dropping like flies - one after the other. A little bit of 'Luck' of their own, and the Rams could have been 11-5 themselves. But as it turns out, they lost in OT to the 49ers, lost by 1 point to Tampa who scored in the last second of the game, bad bounce here, defensive let down there...

*Disclaimer: Luck is clearly a better QB and was 100% more ready for the pro game, but he's 1 of 53 on that team.

I think QB rating is overrated. The higher interception/% total I would attribute to Luck having more of a gunslinger mentality(some people like that, others don't) and having no running game(Bradford did). And that sack total should be MUCH higher than it is but it isn't because Luck has good pocket awareness and is VERY underrated in mobility. He's just as athletic as Cam Newton.

V3

Hall of Fame
I stand corrected...on this part. :cool:

I have never contended that Luck in not a GOOD QB, I just feel he is over-hyped. Also, I am admittedly biased, but IMO, he's no better than Sam. As for his "experience", I know it's not NFL experience, but Luck has now had 5 years in the same offence as well.

I will definitely concede the same offense portion. That does make a difference.

As for Luck and Sam, I hope you're right about Sam being just as good as Luck because I think Luck will be a great one.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I will definitely concede the same offense portion. That does make a difference.

As for Luck and Sam, I hope you're right about Sam being just as good as Luck because I think Luck will be a great one.
Would be fun if the next "QB rivalry" (if this mythical event actually existed) was Sam and Luck instead of Manning/Brady...with Sam having an overwhelming winning advantage, of course.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Zn says this all the time, Indy relies on one player Andrew Luck, while shitchickens and SF rely more on their overall team (and adderal). That's why Russell Wilson and Colin Kaeperwhatever have the lowest amount of pass attempts, they just don't rely on the pass as much. These guys are good QBs, but not so these superstar QBs the media makes them out to be.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think QB rating is overrated. The higher interception/% total I would attribute to Luck having more of a gunslinger mentality(some people like that, others don't) and having no running game(Bradford did). And that sack total should be MUCH higher than it is but it isn't because Luck has good pocket awareness and is VERY underrated in mobility. He's just as athletic as Cam Newton.
The gunslinger mentality is fun to watch, for sure. Until it gets you 7 interceptions in consecutive playoff games. Then it's not so fun. But I do wish Bradford took more chances down the field. Perhaps it's by design that he doesn't. Only the coaches know that. I disagree about their respective run games though. I think you mean to say they didn't have Steven Jackson. So what? They had 1416 rushing yards to the Rams' 1515 (subtracting QB yardage for both). That's 6 yards less per game, so they most certainly had a running game. It was just distributed to more than one guy.

Again, this is taking nothing away from Luck. It's just correcting a few misnomers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think when it's all said and done, Russell Wilson will be a stud. But right now, he's too reliant on scrambling and isn't comfortable enough in the pocket.

Kaepernick? I don't think highly of him.

Alan

Legend
Thordaddy's theory of relativity:
Gotta disagree about Luck if you look at the three teams records before and after those three guys ascended ,it's clear Luck isn't JUST better ,he accounts for most of a remarkable improvement.
When you replace Curtis painter at QB you don't have to be great to greatly improve your team.