Greg Cosell on KFNS (very good interview)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
These are just my notes while listening, and I may have left some things out while trying to keep up. Just listen for yourself.

[rp3]http://media.kfns.com/Podcasts/1949/04-25-12%20segment%204.mp3[/rp3]

Nephew of Howard Cosell and host of NFL Films, Greg Cosell

(On your mocks)
I'm not trying to guess or speculate what teams are going to to do. I just evaluate and assess players, then put them in a draft format while looking at teams needs. Doesn't mean I'm right. It's just my opinion.

(You have the Rams selecting Fletcher Cox. Why?)
I happen to think Fletcher Cox is one of the 5 or 6 best players in this draft. The Rams have a lot of needs, but this kid is the kind of player that fits exactly what the Rams are looking at for a defensive player. He's a DT, DE, he can rush the QB, play the run, multi-positional, multi-dimensional, and I just think he's one of the 5 of 7 best players in this draft.

(Floyd, Blackmon - who's better?)
Blackmon will be a nice intermediate receiver. He's somewhat of a one-speed receiver without much verticality (?) to him. Floyd reminds me of Bowe. He's bigger than Blackmon, and will be better on the perimeter. I like both, but neither fit into the category of the big name receivers in the NFL today.

(Are there picks in the 2nd rd to help the Rams at WR?)
Oh yeah. This is a deep receiver draft. The one thing we don't know is what their draft board looks like. It's easy to look at a team with needs and say the Rams need a receiver. What happens if you have Cox rated as the 6th best player on your board, and Blackmon rated 24. Do you take Blackmon anyway?

(that's a stretch)
No, it's not a stretch. I have some scouts that don't even have Blackmon rated as a first round pick. That may seem ridiculous to you, but I'm talking about people in the league, so it's not NECESSARILY a stretch.

(well, every mock I've seen has Blackmon rated at least in the top 12)
Who's doing the mocks that you're seeing Blackmon rated 6? People who don't know anything about how teams, including myself, don't have any idea how teams rate or grade players. (sounds like he's getting pissed here).

(Minnesota at 3. You have them taking Gilmore at corner. Do you think they'll trade that pick?)
Maybe. Everybody talks about trades and how the new CBA effects the ability to do that. I don't see Kalil as a Joe Thomas type player. If they do, they can likely take him. If they like Claiborne, they could take him. I like Gilmore more. You can't underestimate the value of the corner in today's NFL with the spread offense.

(RGIII is the best prospect in this draft? Why do you rank him ahead of Luck?)
I think RGIII is just a better passer. I think the best PLAYER in this draft is Trent Richardson. Again, I understand the devaluation of the RB in the draft and the NFL. I think he's just that special of a player. So to me, he's the best PLAYER in this draft.

(Would it be a reach to take Floyd at #6?)
Well, again, reach and over-draft are terms I struggle with. Because if a team has a player rated that high, it's not a reach. If you draft a player and he becomes good, does anyone talk about that 3 or 4 years down the road? Again, because nobody knows the draft board. Reach and over-draft are media terms, not a function of the player.

(if they don't address the receiver position in the first round, they HAVE to do it in the 2nd rd. Do you have some names?)
There will be a lot of people there in the 2nd. It depends on who you like. I don't think Randle will be there. They'll be looking for a perimeter receiver, not a slot receiver. I like A.J. Jenkins from Illinois quite a bit, I think Marvin Jones from California is an interesting prospect, McNutt from Iowa, Cunningham from Michigan State, Givens from Wake Forest... there's receivers. It just depends on where you have them rated. If Blackmon and Floyd are your top rated receivers, and then the drop-off is severe, then I can understand taking one of them early even if they're not in your top 5 or 6.

(where do you view Bradford now?)
I think he has all the tools. I just hope he's not shell-shocked now. He came in his first year and was able to look down the gun-barrel and make some throws. As we like to say, he started to see some ghosts last year, got a little cabin fever, and you can't play in the league like that. I'm hoping with a new coaching staff and a new approach that they can get him back to being a confident guy because I think he can make any... I think he's a really talented thrower.

(Who would you rather have for the next 5 years. Bradford or Cam Newton?)
[long pause] Uh, probably Cam Newton. Because he's a physically imposing guy and I think he throws it really really well too, but that's not an easy answer. At the end of the day I'm a pocket QB guy, that's the game, and Newton was really good in that area which is why he's a good NFL QB. But Bradford is really a good thrower. I think a lot of people lost sight of that because of last year, but Sam Bradford's a really good thrower.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Greg Cosell is on point. Easily one of the most underrated talent evaluators out there.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Seems to be contradicting himself...

(Are there picks in the 2nd rd to help the Rams at WR?)
Oh yeah. This is a deep receiver draft. The one thing we don't know is what their draft board looks like. It's easy to look at a team with needs and say the Rams need a receiver. What happens if you have Cox rated as the 6th best player on your board, and Blackmon rated 24. Do you take Blackmon anyway?

(that's a stretch)
No, it's not a stretch. I have some scouts that don't even have Blackmon rated as a first round pick. That may seem ridiculous to you, but I'm talking about people in the league, so it's not NECESSARILY a stretch.

(well, every mock I've seen has Blackmon rated at least in the top 12)
Who's doing the mocks that you're seeing Blackmon rated 6? People who don't know anything about how teams, including myself, don't have any idea how teams rate or grade players. (sounds like he's getting pissed here).

(Would it be a reach to take Floyd at #6?)
Well, again, reach and over-draft are terms I struggle with. Because if a team has a player rated that high, it's not a reach. If you draft a player and he becomes good, does anyone talk about that 3 or 4 years down the road? Again, because nobody knows the draft board. Reach and over-draft are media terms, not a function of the player.

So if a team rates a guy that highly, it's not a "reach" to them, but since other teams don't rate him the same, it's not the right pick. But only if he ends up being a stud in 3 or 4 years, he's the right pick.

:idk?: :idk?: :idk?:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He has some interesting opinions of players and I look forward to how the draft and the players pan out over the next couple years.

He is right that teams have their own draft boards and parameters for judging players. It happens every year during the draft when the media proclaims a player is falling....He's not falling he is going to get drafted where he should be. Not where the media says he should. Much like Kiper proclaiming Clausen being better than Bradford and watching Clausen fall like a rock out of the first. Oh the humanity!!!!. Reason was Clausen sucked and teams knew it.

Most mocks are done by assigning a player to a need of the team not the bpa within a area of need. Most mocks just copy another except for the guys that go counter to create hype for themselves.

What really throws a wrench in to teams big boards is owners and pandering to the fans.

One thing I totally agree with is corners are at a premium and so will pass rushers. And while I'm predicting the new WIL's will really be a SS and the SS will be a FS. The rules favor passing so a team is foolish not to take advantage of it.