Greg Cosell on Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/05/05242012120123.mp3[/rp3]
http://www.101sports.com/templates/audi ... 765&type=s

About 2:30 in

(Have your evaluations of Bradford changed because of what happened last year?)
I would say they haven't changed. I think he's still, from a physical standpoint, can be a very very good NFL QB. He's a better passer than Andrew Luck. I'm not saying who's a better player, because many things go into that, but I think the arm talent is clearly there. The thing I wrote about that most concerned me was (and there were reasons for it), you must be tough in the pocket. You have to be able to stand there and function in the eye of the storm. You have to step into your throws or move around in the pocket. It's easy to say the O-line was poor, and it was; it's easy to say the receivers struggled to win one-on-one, and they did. But when a QB begins to perceive pressure that's not really there, I get a little concerned.

(Was it a temporary thing because of all that stuff swirling around him?)
I think you can help it significantly with how you approach your offense. All QBs with very few examples need to be manipulated by scheme and playcalling. There's not many Aaron Rodgers in the world. Bradford is a very, very good thrower. But he's primarily a pocket QB, and scheme has to help him. There's no question that this can be fixed. They have a nice backfield now with Pead. You can help your receivers get open with shifting and creating mismatches. It's incumbent upon Brian Schottenheimer to make sure that happens as a part of what he's doing - starting now - so that Bradford regains his confidence and he can look like he did two years ago.

(on Schottenheimer being ousted by the Jets)
Look, I'm not as smart as these guys. They watch way more than I do. These guys work SO hard. Just to make flippant criticisms of, "oh, he's being outcoached" or "he's a bad playcaller" ... I don't play that game. Does it happen? Sure it does, but I don't approach it that way. I think Schottenheimer probably got a raw deal because his QB was an inconsistent, erratic player, and he suffered the consequences for that.

(I wondered whether Bradford had the tools to be a real good deep thrower)
I think it's a valid point. I think he's at his best as a timing, rhythm guy, and those guys tend to not be real good deep ball throwers. I think he's very much a "hit his back foot, plant deliver." Although, he does have the arm strength to sit on his back foot and sit in the pocket and throw strikes down the field. I think your point is valid, but I think he's a pretty complete passer. I think if everything can work out correctly, he can work out to be a very very good quarterback.