Greg Cosell loves Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe. But as you said, Alshon did have red flags. He was overweight and that scared off teams. And maybe if Marshall wasn't there for him, then he doesn't put the work in. I'm just saying you have to factor that in when you draft a guy. If Watkins and Alshon come out the same year, it would be Waktkins as the better overall selection when you weigh all the factors.

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion but as I said, my opinion then and now is that Alshon was the better prospect. I never bought into the red flags.

And it sounds to me like it's a no win situation for Alshon. Marshall didn't put the work in, Alshon did. Marshall eased the transition I'm sure by showing him how a top WR conducts his business on the field. But at the same time, Marshall's character has always been questioned too. It just seems to me that it's a way to avoid admitting that the red flags were overblown.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Jeffrey a lot but he's not in Watkins league. We will never agree on this but you are going to see how good this man- child is. I just hope it's with the rams.

He's not in Watkins's league. You're right. He's beyond it. ;)

Best pair of hands since Fitzgerald came out. Deceptive deep speed. Big body and knew how to use it. Very physical. Absolutely destroyed top competition in college except Jenkins. Lit up a number of CBs that were high draft picks.

Lee is moving up on almost everybody's boards. I'm curious to see what he runs, and how his hands look in the drills. I've seen him play a lot. He's a player. I don't think the Rams view a WR as a need.

This is one area where we do differ. I'm not a fan of Lee. IMO, he doesn't have natural hands. And that's a huge problem for me.

If only we could get him and Clowney... then fix the OL on top of it.

Meh, I have the same delima every year. Hopefully we spend whatever money we free up on the OL. Mack and Cogs would be a welcomed sight. (Cogs because I feel he's a good fit and the NFL will hate us more.)

In the end, I think I'm leaning towards Clowney. He can take Chris Long's place in a few years. Doubt it happens. The closer the draft comes the more I think some desperate team will fall in love with a QB. Can you say... PAY DAY!!! :D

Swap Saffold for Mack (if we can bring him back for less) and I'm on board, especially if Long is healthy game 1 an O line of Long/Incognito/Jones/Saffold/Barksdale (y)
Trade down to 4 with Cleveland
Draft Watkins, Dennard, Proyor or Clinton-Dix

Only problem is we'd go into day 2 of the draft without any glaring holes :D.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Swap Saffold for Mack (if we can bring him back for less) and I'm on board, especially if Long is healthy game 1 an O line of Long/Incognito/Jones/Saffold/Barksdale (y)
Trade down to 4 with Cleveland
Draft Watkins, Dennard, Proyor or Clinton-Dix

Only problem is we'd go into day 2 of the draft without any glaring holes :D.

Trade down from #13 and swap Dennard for Verrett and Joyner for Pryor/Clinton-Dix and I'm 100% with you. ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be happy with the Verrett for Dennard swap, less so with the Joyner swap.

I love me some Joyner. Does it all and the guy is fearless. Probably is the best tackler in this class among the top safeties despite being 5'8" 195 and he'll knock you out. Love his attitude, instincts and athleticism. Kid is going to be a heck of a player in the NFL. Whether that's at FS or CB. I think he'd make the greatest impact at FS.

I love me some Joyner. Does it all and the guy is fearless. Probably is the best tackler in this class among the top safeties despite being 5'8" 195 and he'll knock you out. Love his attitude, instincts and athleticism. Kid is going to be a heck of a player in the NFL. Whether that's at FS or CB. I think he'd make the greatest impact at FS.

Maybe it's just my hatred for all things FSU but I'd rather have the other two, but if we can get Joyner in the second, and that's the way Snisher want to go I wouldn't moan about it.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Best pair of hands since Fitzgerald came out. <Yes, that is Sammy Watkins alright! Deceptive deep speed. <Nope, Watkins has world class speed! Big body and knew how to use it. <Agreed, that is exactly what Sammy has/does. Very physical. <Yep, see prior Watkins comment! Absolutely destroyed top competition in college except Jenkins. <This is exactly what Watkins did and would have chewed up Jenkins too! Lit up a number of CBs that were high draft picks. <LOL, Watkins was an equal opportunity destroyer, he killed the dream of all college cb's...and will do same in pros! :p

This is one area where we do differ. I'm not a fan of Lee. IMO, he doesn't have natural hands. And that's a huge problem for me. <And this is one area where you and I actually AGREE! :eek:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, that is Sammy Watkins alright!

No, that's not at all Watkins. Watkins has a nice pair of hands but they don't measure to Jeffery's. Not even in the same league. It's not arguable.

Agreed, that is exactly what Sammy has/does. Yep, see prior Watkins comment!

No, that's not Watkins. He doesn't have a "big" body for a WR(6'1" 205 isn't small but it's not big) and he's not extraordinarily physical when the ball is in the air.

LOL, Watkins was an equal opportunity destroyer, he killed the dream of all college cb's...and will do same in pros!

I'm actually struggling to come up with any top DBs that Watkins really produced against other than Victor Hampton. Alshon lit up Alfonzo Dennard(Patriots starting CB), Casey Hayward(Packers starting CB), Dre Kirkpatrick(1st round pick by the Bengals), Dee Milliner(#9 pick by the Jets in 2013 Draft), Mark Barron(#7 pick by the Buccaneers) and Byron Maxwell(Seahawks starting CB that took over for Browner). If you can think of any for Watkins that I missed, I would appreciate it as I might have missed someone. But Alshon just mercilessly torched top competition at CB. Guys that are starting on NFL teams and were 1st round/top 10 picks. Janoris handled him well though.

Look, I've already said that I think Watkins is the best WR in this class and a top 5 talent but lets not exaggerate his skill-set. The kid isn't Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson and Jerry Rice all combined into one. ;)

He has plenty of strengths and his hands are one of them. But there's a difference between having impressive hands and having hands like Alshon Jeffery/Larry Fitzgerald. There's a reason why those guys seem to shock you week after week with the catches they make. They have ridiculous hands. It's like having speed like Chris Johnson did coming out. There are not a lot of guys who run a 4.35 40 and it's impressive if you do but they don't have 4.24 speed like Chris Johnson did.

Here's Alshon vs. Janoris for those who are curious:

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe it's just my hatred for all things FSU but I'd rather have the other two, but if we can get Joyner in the second, and that's the way Snisher want to go I wouldn't moan about it.

I hate FSU too but I can appreciate talent. Same with Clemson and Georgia. When I see talent, it doesn't matter what uniform they're wearing. I will go nuts if Joyner ends up on the Rams. Would make my draft day.

I hate FSU too but I can appreciate talent. Same with Clemson and Georgia. When I see talent, it doesn't matter what uniform they're wearing. I will go nuts if Joyner ends up on the Rams. Would make my draft day.

I know what you mean, but I also recognise my subconscious bias.

Russell Wilson for example I thought could become a day 1 starter and do well in the NFL, but I'm sure my liking of Wisconsin played into that. I also didn't rate Alec Ogletree and was disappointed when we drafted him but also said that that could be because I disliked Georgia. It's always going to be in my mind that I've liked/disliked player x for 2/3/4 years, so I've got a higher/lower opinion of him.

That's why I'd make an awful scout, I could only look at the players I have no connection with (that and a lack of scouting ability :whistle:).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Russell Wilson for example I thought could become a day 1 starter and do well in the NFL, but I'm sure my liking of Wisconsin played into that. I also didn't rate Alec Ogletree and was disappointed when we drafted him but also said that that could be because I disliked Georgia. It's always going to be in my mind that I've liked/disliked player x for 2/3/4 years, so I've got a higher/lower opinion of him.

That's why I'd make an awful scout, I could only look at the players I have no connection with (that and a lack of scouting ability :whistle:).

I guess that's one of my strong points. I love the game of football so much that I can put aside my allegiances when it comes to evaluating players. I just love talent. It's fun for me to try and spot it then compare how I do with the best of the best.

Wilson is one of those guys I am kicking myself on. Loved the guy at NC State and Wisconsin. Thought the world of him. But I over-analyzed him when it came to the draft. Didn't think he could overcome the height to become a good or great NFL starter. I did mock him to the Rams once or twice in the mid rounds but I thought he'd just be a great backup/spot starter type. I should have trusted my gut on him. Wilson really changed my outlook. It's part of the reason why I want Aaron Donald so badly. I think people are making the same mistake with him that I made with Wilson. Everything is there except the height.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Maybe we need to move this into the Valentines Day thread,it does have the right title you know

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The biggest discriminator between Alshon and Watkins is YAC. Watkins is clearly superior after the catch. I won't be surprised if he runs under 4.4 next week. But whatever he runs it will blow away Alshon.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He's not in Watkins's league. You're right. He's beyond it. ;)

Best pair of hands since Fitzgerald came out. Deceptive deep speed. Big body and knew how to use it. Very physical. Absolutely destroyed top competition in college except Jenkins. Lit up a number of CBs that were high draft picks.

This is one area where we do differ. I'm not a fan of Lee. IMO, he doesn't have natural hands. And that's a huge problem for me.
Let's not break up over it:LOL: Lee, IMO, has an unconventional way of catching the ball, but I still think he has good hands. Bruce, for instance, wasn't conventional. I bet that Lee will change the way he catches it before the combine. Like I said, I'm looking forward to it. I think Watkins is good, but don't put him on the level of CJ, so I just don't know if the value is there. The Rams could think differently.

For the record, I'd be a fan of the Rams taking either player as long as it's not at 1.2, and I would put Watkins over Lee, but I still think Lee is special, and I think we have greater needs than WR.

RFIP

:eek::eek:
No, that's not at all Watkins. Watkins has a nice pair of hands but they don't measure to Jeffery's. Not even in the same league. It's not arguable.

Watkins hands are the rival of Holts and second only in the league to "maybe" Fitz.

jeffrey? Please.

No, that's not Watkins. He doesn't have a "big" body for a WR(6'1" 205 isn't small but it's not big) and he's not extraordinarily physical when the ball is in the air.

He is as solid a 6'1" that walks this planet. And plays like Lynch with th erock in his hands. I am honestly thinking you really have NEVER watched this guy play?

I'm actually struggling to come up with any top DBs that Watkins really produced against other than Victor Hampton. Alshon lit up Alfonzo Dennard(Patriots starting CB), Casey Hayward(Packers starting CB), Dre Kirkpatrick(1st round pick by the Bengals), Dee Milliner(#9 pick by the Jets in 2013 Draft), Mark Barron(#7 pick by the Buccaneers) and Byron Maxwell(Seahawks starting CB that took over for Browner). If you can think of any for Watkins that I missed, I would appreciate it as I might have missed someone. But Alshon just mercilessly torched top competition at CB. Guys that are starting on NFL teams and were 1st round/top 10 picks. Janoris handled him well though.

Look, I've already said that I think Watkins is the best WR in this class and a top 5 talent but lets not exaggerate his skill-set. The kid isn't Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson and Jerry Rice all combined into one. ;)

He has plenty of strengths and his hands are one of them. But there's a difference between having impressive hands and having hands like Alshon Jeffery/Larry Fitzgerald. There's a reason why those guys seem to shock you week after week with the catches they make. They have ridiculous hands. It's like having speed like Chris Johnson did coming out. There are not a lot of guys who run a 4.35 40 and it's impressive if you do but they don't have 4.24 speed like Chris Johnson did.

Here's Alshon vs. Janoris for those who are curious:

Actually no, I am not curious to watch that tape however I would be to see the one of Jenkins vs Taint, either round 1 or round 2 of this past year. You got that one? Because after people see it they will think that if Jenkins could shut down Jeffrey that would be a major black mark AGAINST AJ.

And by the way, we better all PRAY Jenkins never has to line up opposite Sammy Watkins because Watkins would run through him, by him and OVER HIM, with out breaking stride.

jjab360

Legend
RFIP said:
Watkins hands are the rival of Holts and second only in the league to "maybe" Fitz.

He is as solid a 6'1" that walks this planet. And plays like Lynch with th erock in his hands. I am honestly thinking you really have NEVER watched this guy play?
:ROFLMAO:

You've officially lost it, RFIP. You have taken Sammy Watkins and placed him on the pedestal of which no mere mortal could ever possibly reach. Best hands in the league??? Runs like Marshawn Lynch???

You're just messing with us here, right??

jjab360

Legend

Personally, I don't even have a favorite or least favorite college football team, the only reason I watch CFB is for individual prospects.

RFIP

Watch. His. Tape.

:ROFLMAO:

You've officially lost it, RFIP. You have taken Sammy Watkins and placed him on the pedestal of which no mere mortal could ever possibly reach. Best hands in the league??? Runs like Marshawn Lynch???

You're just messing with us here, right??