Greg Cosell loves Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

It's Sammy Watkins, then everyone else.

Everyone, including anyone since A.J. Green and Julio Jones.

2014 NFL Draft

That's how highly NFL Films producer Greg Cosell views Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins and his place among the elite prospects in the 2014 NFL Draft.

"To me, there is no debate here. I think Sammy Watkins, based on what I've seen, is the best receiver in this draft," Cosell told the Midday 180 radio show in Nashville (8:40 mark). "And I think you can make the argument that he's the best wide receiver to come out since the A.J. Green, Julio Jones 2011 draft. I mean, he's got size, speed, hands, shiftiness, explosion. I think Sammy Watkins is hands down the best receiver in this draft."

Watkins made a career-high 101 receptions for the Tigers as a junior for 1,464 yards and 12 touchdowns, prompting his early entry into the NFL. NFL Media analyst Charles Davis' latest mock draft projects Watkins to land with an NFL team that has historically been attracted to speedy wide receivers: The Oakland Raiders with the No. 5 overall pick.

Other top receivers projected by Davis for the first round include Southern Cal's Marqise Lee (No. 13 to Rams), Texas A&M's Mike Evans (No. 15 to Steelers), LSU's Odell Beckham (No. 26 to Browns), Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin (No. 30 to 49ers) and Penn State's Allen Robinson (No. 32 to Seahawks). For Cosell, however, Benjamin presents a better package of skills for the NFL than does Evans.

"I actually liked Kelvin Benjamin from Florida State a little more than I liked Mike Evans. He's basically as big, and I thought he had a little more natural quickness and athleticism than Evans," Cosell sai

[www.nfl.com]

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd take Alshon over Watkins. But yea, beyond Alshon, he is the best WR prospect since Green and Jones. But that's not saying much either.

I also vehemently disagree with him on Benjamin vs. Evans.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not surprising he is a gifted guy who does he have drafting him? Apparently it is not the Rams

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'd take Alshon over Watkins. But yea, beyond Alshon, he is the best WR prospect since Green and Jones. But that's not saying much either.

I wonder how Alshon would have done if he didn't have Brandon Marshall take him under his wing and show him the way. Maybe if the Rams draft him he busts. I don't have that same worry with Watkins.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder how Alshon would have done if he didn't have Brandon Marshall take him under his wing and show him the way. Maybe if the Rams draft him he busts. I don't have that same worry with Watkins.

I highly doubt that. Seems like that's the sort of argument you could make for any player with red flags. Alshon succeeded because of the work he put in. I'm sure Marshall helped ease the transition but in the end, the only guy that could put in the work for Alshon was Alshon.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Jeffrey a lot but he's not in Watkins league. We will never agree on this but you are going to see how good this man- child is. I just hope it's with the rams.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If only we could get him and Clowney... then fix the OL on top of it.

Meh, I have the same delima every year. Hopefully we spend whatever money we free up on the OL. Mack and Cogs would be a welcomed sight. (Cogs because I feel he's a good fit and the NFL will hate us more.)

In the end, I think I'm leaning towards Clowney. He can take Chris Long's place in a few years. Doubt it happens. The closer the draft comes the more I think some desperate team will fall in love with a QB. Can you say... PAY DAY!!! :D

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I highly doubt that. Seems like that's the sort of argument you could make for any player with red flags. Alshon succeeded because of the work he put in. I'm sure Marshall helped ease the transition but in the end, the only guy that could put in the work for Alshon was Alshon.

Maybe. But as you said, Alshon did have red flags. He was overweight and that scared off teams. And maybe if Marshall wasn't there for him, then he doesn't put the work in. I'm just saying you have to factor that in when you draft a guy. If Watkins and Alshon come out the same year, it would be Waktkins as the better overall selection when you weigh all the factors.

RFIP

Absolutely correct. Alston suffered from Marquis Lee-ites. Both would have been top 10 picks had they came out 1 year earlier. And in Jeffrey's case he got fat and lazy where by Lee got injured.

Maybe. But as you said, Alshon did have red flags. He was overweight and that scared off teams. And maybe if Marshall wasn't there for him, then he doesn't put the work in. I'm just saying you have to factor that in when you draft a guy. If Watkins and Alshon come out the same year, it would be Waktkins as the better overall selection when you weigh all the factors.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Absolutely correct. Alston suffered from Marquis Lee-ites. Both would have been top 10 picks had they came out 1 year earlier. And in Jeffrey's case he got fat and lazy where by Lee got injured.
Lee is moving up on almost everybody's boards. I'm curious to see what he runs, and how his hands look in the drills. I've seen him play a lot. He's a player. I don't think the Rams view a WR as a need.

RFIP

Lee is moving up on almost everybody's boards. I'm curious to see what he runs, and how his hands look in the drills. I've seen him play a lot. He's a player. I don't think the Rams view a WR as a need.

You will have to trust me on this one my friend, the Rams DO view wr as a BIG need. This is the sand bag season we are in now though.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Has Cosell evaluated Alshon?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I've been thinking the same, except Snead made a comment that they don't need a big WR since they have Quick. I took that to mean they wouldn't take an Evans or Benjamin, but they may take a Lee.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You will have to trust me on this one my friend, the Rams DO view wr as a BIG need. This is the sand bag season we are in now though.
I think we need a big, physical receiver myself. I feel we'll roll with what we have, unless a real value pops up in the draft.