Great Write Up on Gaines

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
To summarize, even though it is PFF (and people hate it) Gaines has actually been one of the best CBs in the league so far.

Among the 72 cornerbacks who played at least 50 percent of their teams’ coverage snaps this year, Gaines ranks 14th in the NFL having allowed just 1.01 yards per coverage snap this season, according toPro Football Focus (subscription required). That number ranks second among the 12 rookies who have played 25 percent of their teams’ coverage snaps, while he also leads all the rookies in coverage snaps per reception.

Overall, PFF ranks Gaines, with an overall rating of 6.6, as one of the top 10 cornerbacks who has played at least 50 percent of their teams’ snaps this year.

tied for 11th in the NFL with 10 passes defensed through nine starts

according toPFF, Gaines has not allowed any receptions this season that have gone for longer than 23 yards. While he has broken up multiple touchdowns, he’s only allowed one: a 12-yard touchdown on a slant by Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrance Williams in Week 3.

Should Gaines finished on the positive end of PFF’s grading spectrum, he’d be just the fifth of those cornerbacks to do so, joining 2007 fourth-round Fred Bennett, 2008 fourth-round pick Dwight Lowery, 2010 fourth-round pick Alterraun Verner and 2011 fifth-round pick Richard Sherman (Washington Redskins fourth-round pick Bashaud Breeland, who has eight starts this year and a minus-1.5 overall ratingfrom PFF, could also end up joining that group).

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Awesome. Just awesome. We really found ourselves a great player. If he gets a few more interceptions he will be in the pro bowl.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-rookie-review-week-10-wagoner.32249/#post-445360

Having CB's Jenkins-Johnson-Gaines on the field playing together healthy for the first time this season is very big. Gaines selection with the #188th pick looks about as good as the Seattle's selection & find of Richard Sherman with the #154th pick. I prefer EJ's demeanor myself.

Having now safeties Barron, McDonald & McLeod on the field together with those Ram starting corners in the Big Dime defense is also very very big.

I also would add due to the nagging leg injury to starting reserve DE William Hayes with Chris Long still out & DT Alex Carrington nagging (quadriceps). Its time to insert DT Ethan Westbrooks back into the line up!

Being on our own home fast turf I would plan to turn Donald & Westbrook ripping in from the interior. It should vaporize :heh:the famous Manning pocket this Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Ew, the combination of 49er-fan-owned Bleacher Report and PFF's fake stats!!

Kidding... nice to see Gaines getting recognition regardless of the source.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So...who is your Rams rookie of the year so far? Gaines? Donald?

For me it's Donald right now. He influences both the passing game and running game. I bet every OC that will be facing the Rams D is making it a priority to slow him down when they are prepping for the game.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
It's worth the read. He really is the best CB on our team I think. I don't think any of us Mizzou fans ever had a doubt that he was gonna be damn good.

I agree he is having a great rookie year but one of my concerns with this team is that players do not seem to progress like they should. there are to many players that have good rookie years then don't seem to get better. Jenkins,givins,baily,ogeltree,stacy,austin and brockers had realy promising rookie years but don't seem much better now. quin and quick are the only 2 who have increased their production that I can think of right off hand. anyway I hope gaines keeps getting better then we should have a shut down corner

Big Willie

Starter
For me it's Donald right now. He influences both the passing game and running game. I bet every OC that will be facing the Rams D is making it a priority to slow him down when they are prepping for the game.
I agree, but based on the way Gaines has been the only consistent CB in playing time and performance, it is a lot closer between the two than I would have expected. GRob has a chance to be added to this list as well (provided he continues to improve over the next few weeks).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So...who is your Rams rookie of the year so far? Gaines? Donald?

I say Gaines has been under much more extreme pressure in comparison to Aaron Donald however Donald's play has been much better as far as play-making.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To summarize, even though it is PFF (and people hate it) Gaines has actually been one of the best CBs in the league so far.

Gaines gave up a TD to Michael Crabtree.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Gaines made two one-on-one plays in the endzone to deny TD's vs AZ.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't see why Gaines would need to move to the slot/nickel position when Jenkins is up to full speed, considering Gaines has outplayed him in 9 games.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't see why Gaines would need to move to the slot/nickel position when Jenkins is up to full speed, considering Gaines has outplayed him in 9 games.
IMO, TJ and Gaines are better. I'd like to see if JJ performs better in the slot. I haven't really been impressed with Joyner there anyways and think he's better suited for FS where I don't get the love by the coaches for McLeod.

V3

Hall of Fame
Because I think the Rams choose a ROY for the team.
Do people pay attention to that stuff? I get ROY for the league, but for the team? As long as they're good, I'm fine with whatever they say. Donald is most likely a frontrunner for DROY for the league, though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO, TJ and Gaines are better. I'd like to see if JJ performs better in the slot. I haven't really been impressed with Joyner there anyways and think he's better suited for FS where I don't get the love by the coaches for McLeod.

Evening V3, as far as JJ sliding into the slot with Gaines remaining outside....I sure have no issues with that. I seem to think that JJ is the quickest of the corners but I could be wrong. I sure like Gaines on the outside too.

Reference Joyner as the deep free safety....that seems to play into his skills presently. I seen where teams have tried to get their bigger taller wide outs in the slot to favor a better match up of the short under 5-8 Joyner i.e. Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, Dwayne Bowe & Dez Bryant. I think that Joyner has the motor, speed & smarts to be a very good FS where his ability to big the hit with the Tackle. I looked this up to just see just how quick JJ is when compared.

40 Yard Dash
#1-Jenkins-4.46
#2-Gaines-4.51
#3-Joyner-4.55
#4-Johnson-4.61

20 Yard Shuttle
#1-Jenkins-4.13
#2-Johnson-4.15
#3-Gaines-4.28
#4-Joyner-4-4

3 Cone Drill
#1-Jenkins-6.95