Great Song Covers by Average Joes and Street Musicians

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
This thread is for great song covers that you find on the inner webs. By cover I mean just some normal Joe rather than one band covering another band.

There are a lot of very talented people out there singing on street corners and from their bedrooms on youtube. I've found a couple recently that were pretty compelling and thought it would be a fun ROD topic.

I'll kick it off with Jesse Morris live from a BART station doing Johnny Cash doing "Sunday Morning Coming Down":

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ylStg9yD8

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Good thread idea..

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Think I'll go ahead and dedicate this one to my wife

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Nice live version of The Who classic.

I love Rush, one of my top 5 of all time. I just saw an excellent documentary about them and they have had a charmed and fascinating career as a group and as friends. What a hoot it had to be for them to play covers of other stuff.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I love Rush, one of my top 5 of all time. I just saw an excellent documentary about them and they have had a charmed and fascinating career as a group and as friends. What a hoot it had to be for them to play covers of other stuff.

They put out a compilation of covers called Feedback for their R30 (30 year anniversary) tour in 2004. My favorite was their cover of Neil Young's Mr. Soul. I've had the privilege of seeing them several times over the years, but that tour was their best. They were truly at their peak as musicians. I saw them in Salt Lake City and San Diego. Summertime / outdoor amphitheaters / 3 hours of Rush... heaven

CodeMonkey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My family went on an Alaskan cruise earlier this year and the last stop was in Victoria, BC Canada. There is an area known as Market Square where there are a bunch of street musicians ("buskers"), artists and others catering to the tourists. We saw this guy in this exact spot four years after this video was recorded. We sat and listened for quite a while. He sings, plays guitar, has a harmonica on a harness, and plays the drums with his feet. Good folky type stuff, Dylan, etc. He's been there quite a long time, apparently, and I can attest he's still kicking. If you ever go on an Alaskan cruise, make it a point to see Dave Harris at Market Square on the Victoria port. This is a nice recording including some interesting comentary by him...Dave Harris.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtXo7xtEOD8

SierraRam

Recreational User
@CodeMonkey, I totally missed the entire thread title! Rush may portray themselves as average Joes, but street musicians? nope..

Anyway, this Finnish band covers a lot of familiar metal classics:

CodeMonkey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@CodeMonkey, I totally missed the entire thread title! Rush may portray themselves as average Joes, but street musicians? nope..

Anyway, this Finnish band covers a lot of familiar metal classics:
Hey don’t sweat it, Sierra. Thanks for participating!

You aren't crazy. The truth is that I actually asked PT to change the title to be more descriptive of the thread intent. It originally just said "great song covers" and I clarified my intent in the OP. So, the title wasn't clear enough and it's easy to see why you'd be confused.

I certainly appreciate great song covers by Rush or other great bands. Everybody sings everybody else's stuff...sometimes even better. But, that's really in the domain of the "Song of the Day" thread and I didn't want to overlap with that but felt there was a niche of music by amateurs and hard-working yet unrenowned street professionals that create a lot of wonderful art and deserve due. I often run across these type of vids as I'm just roaming around YouTube and sometimes they're quite compelling. It seemed like it could be a fun thread.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My parrot LOVES this one... this girl's voice calls to him. Soooooo funny hearing him sing along.

Last edited: