Great news and a question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Up to the bye week, the Rams offense utilized a formula out of 11 personnel that was wildly successful. The close games and one loss were largely a result of defensive inefficiency. But the Lions and Bears both demonstrated how this offense can be attacked. McVay promised to adapt with three games and a bye to prepare.

In 99, Martz wasn’t really challenged or “figured out” until Tampa in the NFC Championship game. That helped the Titans in the SB come closer than they would’ve otherwise. In ‘01, it wasn’t until the first half of the Cheatriot Bowl.

The strength of McVay’s scheme is having so many options out of a single formation. But now the NFL has a formula to stop it. I doubt that would still be the case w Kupp, but that’s a different subject. Bottom line, Sean needs different options when defenses decide to load up on the running game and get to the QB along the way. Uncharacteristic errors by players aside, Sean has a chance to develop new formations and schemes and get reps in them before the real season begins. No, he won’t change the “core philosophy”, but I expect in January, we will see radically different options that provide a counterpunch.

My question to this board is what would YOU suggest he do? 12 personnel? Six OLinemen? Jared read low to high? Blythe at center w Noteboom at RG? Ideas anyone?

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think what will determine our playoff success is how the Rams OL holds up down the stretch. Seems like last year, the OL was less effective late in the year and in the Playoff game. Seems like we are seeing the same thing this year. I don't know if it is the age of Whitworth, Sullivan, & Saffold, or not, but seems like they are wearing down again.

First 8 Games - 10 Sacks (1.25/Game)
Last 8 Games* - 18 Sacks (2.25/Game)
*=Not including final game, but including playoff game

First 7 Games - 12 Sacks (1.71/Game)
Last 6 Games - 17 Sacks (2.83/Game)

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Up to the bye week, the Rams offense utilized a formula out of 11 personnel that was wildly successful. The close games and one loss were largely a result of defensive inefficiency. But the Lions and Bears both demonstrated how this offense can be attacked. McVay promised to adapt with three games and a bye to prepare.

In 99, Martz wasn’t really challenged or “figured out” until Tampa in the NFC Championship game. That helped the Titans in the SB come closer than they would’ve otherwise. In ‘01, it wasn’t until the first half of the Cheatriot Bowl.

The strength of McVay’s scheme is having so many options out of a single formation. But now the NFL has a formula to stop it. I doubt that would still be the case w Kupp, but that’s a different subject. Bottom line, Sean needs different options when defenses decide to load up on the running game and get to the QB along the way. Uncharacteristic errors by players aside, Sean has a chance to develop new formations and schemes and get reps in them before the real season begins. No, he won’t change the “core philosophy”, but I expect in January, we will see radically different options that provide a counterpunch.

My question to this board is what would YOU suggest he do? 12 personnel? Six OLinemen? Jared read low to high? Blythe at center w Noteboom at RG? Ideas anyone?

I think they need to pound the ball with Gurley, whether it works early or not...I also don't recall seeing many if any hot reads when they get after Goff...Either he (Mcvay) doesn't believe in them or the receivers and or Goff aren't seeing them ...

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I initially read this typo as "punt" instead of "pound."

Now *that* would give opponents something to think about

Ha, that would give them something to think about for sure...I think it might be time for a pass from Gurley in the red zone on second down...Not that Philadelphia thing though, I wouldn't take any undue chance of getting Goff smushed...And yeah, smushed is a word, at least in my vocabulary