Great Detailed Analysis on Mike Evans -WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
· NFL DRAFT 2014

The Notebook: Can Mike Evans balance passion & volatility?
ByStephen Whiteon Apr 1 2014, 10:58a56

Mike Evans is one of the top receivers in the draft. Can the Texas A&M standout learn to channel his temper to be productive in the NFL? Retired NFL defensive end

For my money there are two wide receivers in this draft vying to be the first at their position off the board. I already broke down former Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins. Now, I'm going to take a look at former Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans.

For the purposes of this breakdown, I watched Evans play against Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU and Duke. Those games represent the third, fifth, seventh, 11th and 13th games of Evans' season, respectively. (Thanks to Draftbreakdown.com for the video.)

Getcho popcorn ready
At the combine Mike Evans checked in at 6'4, 231 pounds, which is pretty damn big for a wide receiver, but we've all seen bigger.

Calvin "Megatron" Johnson, anyone?

What I will say is that Evans seems even bigger on film. Like, the dude was physically imposing in every game no matter who he was matched up against. Not every block of his was a slobberknocker, but, man, when he got his hands on defenders things generally didn't end well for them. Even though he gets shaded about catching a lot of jump balls, as if that is something to be embarrassed about, I only tracked 12 throws his way that would qualify as catchable jump balls in my book.

And here's the really funny part ...

Come closer ...

Ready?

HE CAUGHT 1O OUT OF THOSE 12 PASSES INCLUDING THREE TOUCHDOWNS!!!

Hell, I will take that any day of the week if it was theonlything he could do.

But, it's not.

He is also a decent route runner, finding some way to change directions with that tall frame as if he was a little 5'8 jitterbug. He also has such great feet up the sideline, rarely going out of bounds without being touched.

And, man, oh man, is he physical after the catch.

Not as physical as Sammy Watkins, but Evans didn't mind handing out a few flippers or stiff arms of his own.

Still, there was something about Evans physically that stood out to me on film, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then, I checked the combine measurements and there it was.

Evans' arms are 35 inches long. That was by far the longest of the wide receivers, longer than former Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson's and longer than his college teammate Jake Matthews' arms. Those are offensive tackles, folks.

Photo: Daniel Shirey-USA TODAY Sports

Talk about one hell of a catch radius!

Basically this guy is a create-a-player on a Madden video game. I know he has been compared a lot toVincent Jackson, but I actually saw a lot ofTerrell Owens(in various ways) in Evans watching these five games. He runs well after the catch, he blocks his ass off, he goes up and gets the ball and he wins most of his one-on-one matchups. The Jackson comparisons also seemed to have been somewhat of a pejorative, referencing the Vincent Jackson of late who gets caught from behind. However, if you remember the young Vincent Jackson out in San Diego, that comparison is more apt and actually a good thing.

Fast enough
Did I mention he's fast?

I see people questioning his speed. His 4.53 time in the 40 at the combine is good, but not exactly blazing. However, I see Evans getting open downfield a couple of times in most of those five games. Not all of the throws were on the money, but it's not like Evans didn't "Moss" a few cats this past season either.

Nobody will mistake Evans for a youngRandy Moss, but I don't have concerns about his ability to get open down the field. If anything, I hope whichever team he goes to likes to take shots down the field and has a quarterback who can get it to him on target. Should make for some fireworks on Sundays this fall.

Evans has everything you need in a wide receiver.

Except ...

Volatile
Remember that T.O. comparison earlier? Yeah ...

Evans had a propensity to draw stupid penalties in the games I watched. A few times he had a point about being interfered with, but you can't have a guy lose control like that in the middle of a game. It's a major distraction and stupid penalties can cost a team games.

BASICALLY THIS GUY IS A CREATE-A-PLAYER ON A MADDEN VIDEO GAME.

I never saw Sammy Watkins lose his composure in the games that I watched. Not once. Guys who are that selfish make general mangers nervous about taking them that high. That's with good reason because it's likely that a guy like Evans will struggle at some point his rookie season and maybe even longer than that. How they react to adversity will have a major impact on how their career ultimately plays out.

Sometimes it's better to be pissed off than ...
There was an upside to Evans' temper. When he got mad he tended to go a little harder on his blocks. For as much as people may remember his bowl performance for the two personal foul penalties (on the first one I thought his arm was indeed pinned by the defender; the second was just a bad call), I remember him more for the pancake blocks that followed.

Yes, I said blocks with an 's.'

And ...

If he can channel his energy that way, the sky is the limit for Evans.

And the winner by a nose
I had a lot of fun watching both Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans play for these breakdowns. Both guys had some truly fantastic plays and both guys are special talents.

For me, I would have to go with Watkins over Evans on my board. Evans is more physically imposing, and both have great hands (for all the talk about Evans' drops I only counted two and a possible third in those five games). However, Watkins is more dynamic in terms of the things you can do with him.

The Notebook: Scouting profiles

Clemson moved Watkins all over the place to get him the ball, including in the backfield. Evans was the outside receiver on just about every play that I watched. Evans won't be a return guy and probably won't be a reverse guy either. They are about even as wide receivers, but Watkins has the edge as far as versatility.

Then there's the mindset deal. I love Evans' passion for the game, but I want a guy who is even-keeled when I'm taking a wide receiver in the top 10. That gives the player a much better chance of not crashing and burning before he ever reaches his potential. Having seen T.O. lay waste to several teams in his wake, even though he was productive, teams haven't forgotten that.

I think with the right position coach, one who won't stand for any of his shit, Evans is going to be a fantastic player. For me, I'm going with the safer choice in Watkins if I have to make a pick between the two. Besides, Watkins is a fantastic player in his own right.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I wonder if Mike Evans might be the better fit for the Rams in the NFCW. This division is a fuckin slugfest, and Mike Evans might be the better option in being more physical. Would be nice if he would be there @ 13, or trading down from #2 to say they 7th or 8th pick and getting him.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Since I first started talking to Jrry32 about the potential WR's this year, he's been on Mike Evans. I've gone back and forth thinking about which receiver is "better" but when it comes to the Rams, I think the better fit is Evans. What he is and everything he does well fits perfectly with what the Rams need. Especially the blocking. I think that attribute clearly tips the scales in his favor if Jeff Fisher is doing the looking.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I wonder if Mike Evans might be the better fit for the Rams in the NFCW. This division is a freakin slugfest, and Mike Evans might be the better option in being more physical. Would be nice if he would be there @ 13, or trading down from #2 to say they 7th or 8th pick and getting him.
I have been thinking similar . I was thinking if they trade down a little from #2 and can get their OL and then use a bit of that bounty to trade up again to get Evans .... mostlikely an A&M duo of Evans and Mathews ?

moklerman

Warner-phile
I have been thinking similar . I was thinking if they trade down a little from #2 and can get their OL and then use a bit of that bounty to trade up again to get Evans .... mostlikely an A&M duo of Evans and Mathews ?
I don't spend too much time guessing at who will end up with the Rams but the few times I've heard these two going to the Rams, my ears have perked up. Matthews and Evans in the first would be a real coups for the Rams.

RamsFan14

Starter
Ya know... His run blocking ability might be a bigger plus then people think considering we are a running team with Stacy. Snisher might find that to be a huge positive, so we should keep that as a side note. And I agree, I think he'd be a great deep target with his height, arm length, weight, and his HANDS!

Draft needs to get here already. If we take Watkins or Evans, I think we'll all figure to like the decision just cause they bring there skills to the table.

V3

Hall of Fame
I wonder if Mike Evans might be the better fit for the Rams in the NFCW. This division is a freakin slugfest, and Mike Evans might be the better option in being more physical. Would be nice if he would be there @ 13, or trading down from #2 to say they 7th or 8th pick and getting him.

I said this the other day. I think he definitely is a better fit than Watkins. We already have players similar to Watkins. Quick was supposed to be our Evans but I'm not a believer. We need big, athletic, aggressive WR's to compete with the huge DB's in this conference. Not only that, but Bradford needs a guy he can trust to just throw it up and know his guy will come down with it. Bradford hardly takes any chances right now. That could be a little on him but I think it's more an indictment on the quality and trust of our WR's because I remember him throwing it up at OU.

I feel there's no way he gets to 13 and honestly don't think he gets past Tampa at 7. He might not get past the Raiders at 5. I think my best case scenario would be the Rams trade down with Atlanta and take him there but I don't think the Rams will be able to trade down from 2.

V3

Hall of Fame

You're most likely going to have to go up to 7 then and that's going to take too much ammo. I DO NOT want to trade up at all in the first 3 rounds. It's too deep to be wasting picks. We did that last year and it hurt us.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick

I don't spend too much time guessing at who will end up with the Rams but the few times I've heard these two going to the Rams, my ears have perked up. Matthews and Evans in the first would be a real coups for the Rams.

Coincidently a draft Guru has recently notated as submitting his mock and we take both Texas A&M standouts. What you think?

http://ramsondemand.com/threads/mock-1-0-of-2014-rams-back-two-day-1-trades.25059/

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I said this the other day. I think he definitely is a better fit than Watkins. We already have players similar to Watkins. Quick was supposed to be our Evans but I'm not a believer. We need big, athletic, aggressive WR's to compete with the huge DB's in this conference. Not only that, but Bradford needs a guy he can trust to just throw it up and know his guy will come down with it. Bradford hardly takes any chances right now. That could be a little on him but I think it's more an indictment on the quality and trust of our WR's because I remember him throwing it up at OU.

I feel there's no way he gets to 13 and honestly don't think he gets past Tampa at 7. He might not get past the Raiders at 5. I think my best case scenario would be the Rams trade down with Atlanta and take him there but I don't think the Rams will be able to trade down from 2.
Perfect assessment of our WR, Bradford and Division.

Angry Ram

He (Sam) does. Remember when Danario Alexander was healthy and used? That what Mike Evans could be.

Also, if Tampa/Oakland/Detroit take Mike Evans they are fuckin stupid. They have other issues, with other players that may be more beneficial to them. You won't be able to keep both WRs for very long.

Angry Ram

I would absolutely love that. 2 guys that have been consistent through this whole process and without any "stock raising/falling" bullshit.

moklerman

Warner-phile
He (Sam) does. Remember when Danario Alexander was healthy and used? That what Mike Evans could be.

Also, if Tampa/Oakland/Detroit take Mike Evans they are freakin stupid. They have other issues, with other players that may be more beneficial to them. You won't be able to keep both WRs for very long.
Sadly, I remember DX constantly being out of sync with Bradford. He always seemed to have to be twisting and lunging for the ball and then he had that big whiff in the Seattle game. Always spinning and turning and falling down as he was trying to make those catches. He made a lot of 'em but my point is they didn't look like they'd each found something that was missing in their lives. Bradford looked a lot more comfortable with Clayton.

V3

Hall of Fame

Also, if Tampa/Oakland/Detroit take Mike Evans they are freakin stupid. They have other issues, with other players that may be more beneficial to them. You won't be able to keep both WRs for very long.

I'm confused by the "Sam does" part. He does throw it up and trust his WRs now? I don't agree with that if that's what you meant but I agree he used to with Denario and also at OU. I'm saying we need someone like that on the team now because we don't have it.

I agree that Oakland would be stupid to take him but that's Oakland. They always do that kind of stuff. Tampa's been reported to love Evans so that's why I mention them. I'm not too familiar with their team needs but it wouldn't hurt to have another WR now that they got rid of Mike Williams.

lockdnram21

Legend
Since I first started talking to Jrry32 about the potential WR's this year, he's been on Mike Evans. I've gone back and forth thinking about which receiver is "better" but when it comes to the Rams, I think the better fit is Evans. What he is and everything he does well fits perfectly with what the Rams need. Especially the blocking. I think that attribute clearly tips the scales in his favor if Jeff Fisher is doing the looking.

yea but f we draft receiver i think its Watkins. I dont think there ready to give up on Quick and fisher has said he thinks Britt will be a go to receiver. then you still have cook who is also a big threat

Angry Ram

I'm confused by the "Sam does" part. He does throw it up and trust his WRs now? I don't agree with that if that's what you meant but I agree he used to with Denario and also at OU. I'm saying we need someone like that on the team now because we don't have it.

I agree that Oakland would be stupid to take him but that's Oakland. They always do that kind of stuff. Tampa's been reported to love Evans so that's why I mention them. I'm not too familiar with their team needs but it wouldn't hurt to have another WR now that they got rid of Mike Williams.

I was refering to the "little on him" blurb. Generally I was agreeing with you.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I'd be happy with the draft. Would love the first round.
Hell, that would fix us and increase each of those player groups to allow other individual players on the team to achieve a higher level of effectiveness. One thing we'd be the talk of the draft lol