Gray/InsideSTL: Foles Taking Charge and Earning Praise With Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Shane, thanks for posting the article. Hope all is well with you and yours.

As to the article, man, the effusive praise that's being heaped on Nick Foles is more than I expected even this time of year when the Kool-Aid usually flows freely. Don't want to think there's more to it than positive reinforcement for a new player but it makes me wonder.

Thank you my friend. I appreciate the well wishes greatly. Hope you are doing well, Prime Time.

As for Foles and the praise he has been receiving, I think it is expected from Fisher and was pretty much coming regardless. That's not to say that Fisher and staff are not happy with him. I have no doubt that they are. On the other hand, I get the sense that the players are sincerely upbeat and excited about a variety of things about Foles -- both on and off the field.

STL-Rams

Starter
Shane (@STL-Rams),

Do you think that all of this positive feedback on Foles' is at all a reflection on Sam's manner? I'm just curious if Sam's low key demanor was an issue, ableit an unspoken one.

Thanks again for the great reporting.

I don't know for a fact that this reflects on Sam at all, but I get the feeling that -- to some extent or another -- there is something to that. I think several players are enjoying the change of pace being provided by Foles and the demeanor that he carries with him.

STL-Rams

Starter
We know that Foles is a Football Guy with leadership ability. I worry more about the other skill players knowing where to be. There should be no excuses for not knowing plays, stupid penalties and lack of concentration from the skill players. The young offensive line will make mistakes but, I hope they learn quickly. It's early but nice to see the players rallying around Foles and Foles being a vocal type leader. Hope he pumps some life into the offense. Nice read about the early Foles impressions Shane.

Thank you, Ram 65. Very glad you enjoyed the read.

I think Foles will make a nice transition here. He's a veteran and knows how to get things done (as we saw in 2013). As u said, he has terrific leadership qualities. Both offensively and defensively, the Rams need to cut back on the penalties. Enough. And yes, the O line will make mistakes -- or at least that would be expected, particularly with such a young group. Finally, agree with you on it being nice to see such great feedback from the wideouts, etc. They are excited about Foles. His energetic persona is very much welcomed.

STL-Rams

Starter
Foles could go without playing a single snap and still get more money than he's making this year. Brady Quinn has a 5yr 20million dollar deal and he hasn't done squat. I think the Rams should extend Foles contract before his asking price goes through the roof personally.

While in some ways it would make sense to extend Foles, I understand the Rams are going to wait and see before making a move either way.

STL-Rams

Starter
Thanks for that Shane.

I'm optimistic that Foles will work out for us. If we can keep him upright.

You're welcome, Alan. Good hearing from you again. Hope you are well.

I personally like Foles and think he fits in extremely well here with this offense.

STL-Rams

Starter
Nice article man.
If Nick Foles plays at even a Tannehill or Matt Ryan level(although I hope he plays better, i have no doubt that he can) we will make it to the wild card.
If our OL takes care of Foles, Foles will take care of the rest.

Thank you for that. Appreciate it very much.

As you allude to, the Rams should not need Foles to go out and play like Brady or Manning for this team to find success.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Hi Shane - @STL-Rams,

Good article once again, quality work.
Entertaining read.

Shane, one question I have; in your opinion is all the positive talk, just that, talk?
In other words is everyone just kind of going through the motions, towing the company line -kind of thing? Or do you sense people really are positive, upbeat and feel this could be a turning point season, at least regarding moving into the winning record territory if nothing else?

Keep up the good work my friend.

Rambitious1

RamzFanz

Damnit
While in some ways it would make sense to extend Foles, I understand the Rams are going to wait and see before making a move either way.

If he has a 2013 type season, his price is going to go WAY up I would assume. It's the one position where even above average comes with a large price tag. Next season we have a list of rookie contracts ending.

Puts the Rams in a tough spot.

Good read, Shane, thanks for dropping in too.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
If he has a 2013 type season, his price is going to go WAY up I would assume. It's the one position where even above average comes with a large price tag. Next season we have a list of rookie contracts ending.

Puts the Rams in a tough spot.

Good read, Shane, thanks for dropping in too.
I doubt he ever plays up to 2013 again. That was a crazy trend that took almost as much luck as it did skill.

But we really don't need him to be 2013 Foles again, we just need him to be average/above average and we'll be fine. If he can be passable(Which I have no reason to doubt he will.) we'll go places and it'll make him affordable.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler

Of course I agree with that and I'm sure Foles would be reluctant to extend anyways. He knows a rebound season with the Rams will raise his stock considerably. Color me optimistic but I think Foles is going to have a good year.

STL-Rams

Starter
Shane - @STL-Rams excellent read and I for one find Foles a refreshing change in many ways. He's one of the guys and many Eagle fans felt one of his greatest qualities was his resilience and his ability to make plays when the game was on the line.

The Rams did the right thing in making this deal and I feel they have their Field General for the next decade or so....Again as always thank you sir!
Thank you, den-the-coach. Great hearing from you and thank you for the kind sentiments.

I like Foles a lot. Some disagree with me, but I do think he has the capabilities of being the long-term answer, especially in ths offense.

STL-Rams

Starter
Thanks for the positive yet down to earth, realistic report...We all appreciate it very much...Your writing style is very refreshing for me, especially after having to endure so many of the "talking heads"...Most of them seem to be nothing more than cliche machines and seem to have very little idea of what's going on...Thanks again...

Mikey, I love the post. Thank you for the encouraging feedback. Always a pleasure to get that kind of response from the readers. It means a great deal to me (and other writers as well).

For my recent archive, you can always check here or bookmark this. Thanks again, sincerely, for the wonderful words: http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...Type/AuthorView/authorID/16545/ShaneGray.aspx

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Another great read Shane. I'll be honest in that I was never a big Foles guy but a lot can change in short order with such a young guy. I sure like hearing and reading what is being said about him though. Let's hope he is the QB to lead this team to the next level and maybe beyond.