Graham Gano is available if Rams are interested

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Graham Gano is available if Rams are interested

The Los Angeles Rams have three young kickers in training camp and they seem at terms with them competing to take over for Greg Zuerlein, who departed to the Dallas Cowboys in free agency after eight seasons with the team.

However, if the Rams want to bring in a veteran, an interesting name has become available. The Carolina Panthers released Graham Gano on Thursday. He has played in the NFL since 2009, but did not play last season and in the final four games of the 2018 season due to an injury to his left, plant leg.

View: https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1288872171973087232?s=21

Gano, 33, has been reliable in the past. He has converted 82.1 percent of his field-goal attempts in his career. If he can prove he is healthy, the Rams could consider him.

The Rams are currently green at the position. They drafted Sam Sloman in the seventh round and added untested kickers Lirim Hajrullahu and Austin MacGinnis in the offseason. Not having any preseason games to judge the young kickers in game-pressure situations could hurt the Rams, so going to a proven vet like Gano could be the way to go in this strange season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well that position is already a clusterfuck in terms of what the staff has to sort through. Haven't really watched Gano so not sure if he's any good but remember when the Rams discussed Sloman they were very focused in on his ability to make outdoor kicks in tough weather. Does Gano bring that ability?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Would prefer to see what we have in Sloman. I don't think Gano does kickoffs, so that's another reason why I don't want him.

oldnotdead

Legend
Lirim is the most likely to get the position. He's been battled tested, with good range and better accuracy than Greg. I've seen way too many college rookies meltdown in the NFL. It takes them a couple of years for most to really acclimate to the NFL game. After missing the playoffs last year to Zuerlein's misses I don't see the Rams taking the chance on a rookie if Lirim simply looks as advertised in practice. This is especially true since there are no preseason games to see Sloman. The Grey Cup is a lot closer to the NFL than a college bowl game and Lirim's consistency over the years can't be ignored. IMO Sloman makes the protected part of the PS where he can't be poached or have to go through waivers, as COVID insurance.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
Lirim is the most likely to get the position. He's been battled tested, with good range and better accuracy than Greg. I've seen way too many college rookies meltdown in the NFL. It takes them a couple of years for most to really acclimate to the NFL game. After missing the playoffs last year to Zuerlein's misses I don't see the Rams taking the chance on a rookie if Lirim simply looks as advertised in practice. This is especially true since there are no preseason games to see Sloman. The Grey Cup is a lot closer to the NFL than a college bowl game and Lirim's consistency over the years can't be ignored. IMO Sloman makes the protected part of the PS where he can't be poached or have to go through waivers, as COVID insurance.

^This^