Grading the Top Free Agent Signings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nimite

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I forget this grade :

Rams sign OT Andrew Whitworth (3 years, $36M; $15M guaranteed): C Grade
It seems as though the Rams have made a huge mistake by trading the farm for Jared Goff. However, they won't know for sure until they make sure his protection is adequate. Signing Andrew Whitworth will help in that regard, at least in theory.

I think the Rams should get an "A" for effort here. They're trying, and unlike the Browns' strategy of "hurrr durrr let's give lots of money to someone who has tried hard once in his career," Los Angeles has signed a player with a lengthy track record of performing on a high level. Whitworth has been one of the better left tackles in the NFL for a very long time.

However, I can't give the Rams an "A" overall. This signing seems suspicious to me, almost as if Whitworth has gone to Los Angeles to retire. Why would he leave a perennial playoff contender to join one of the worst franchises in the NFL? I think Whitworth knows he doesn't have much time left, so he took the most money to effectively cash out, all while living in nice weather. That's what I would do if I were a worn-out 35-year-old NFL player. Instead, I'm a worn-out 35-year-old fat football writer.

An "A" for effort and an "F" for execution averages to a "C," which sounds about right. The Rams are paying on past production, which seldom works in any regard.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pierre Garcon's numbers before turning 26 weren't all that great either and he had an in prime Peyton Manning throwing him the ball in several seasons.
Admittedly, Woods numbers don't pop off the page however if you've ever seen a Buffalo game you'd know why. He is at best 3rd option at LOS and Tyrod either throws to 1st option or takes off

(y)

I was going to post something similar earlier.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Woods was a solid signing. I'd give it a B, at least. A D+ is absurd.

There is a place in the McVay O for a young, healthy WR that runs good routes, has good hands, blocks very well, and makes proper sight adjustments. Did I mention that he holds onto the damn ball?

Goff is gonna love his new chain moving safety net WR.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think he totally missed on Woods grade, he doesn't take situation or contract detail into consideration.

I do think it was kind of funny that he took the opportunity to take a shot at the disaster that is TA's contract.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Walterfoorball is the biggest joke ever. The trash they put out year after year is mind boggling.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Seriously guys ? Complaining about Woods contract ?

If he pans out, and I have little doubt he will based on past performance & ceiling upside, this contract will look like a steal 4 or 5 years from now. The manner in which the CAP moves every year coupled with the value of young, proven vet WR's, you will likely be laughing at your complaints sooner than later. We've taken an under appreciated 24 year old receiver with quality hands, instinctive route running & blocking skills, ... and tied him up for the next 5 years. This guy is precisely what the Rams need as our new #2. I can't wait to see whom the Rams pair him with on the opposite side for 4 or 5 years, although I do know he isn't on the roster yet. We may or may not have to go with a stop-gap this season, but if not this year, i'm guessing our #1 WR could be hovering somewhere within the grasp of our 2018 1'st round draft choice. jmo.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Good read... but the analysis seems to be based only on stat lines that do not tell the whole story.
Woods is a better player than this article suggests, not elite but a quality WR and his impact to this team goes well beyond being a good blocker on the edge.
Absolutely love your point.So many times, stat lines become the sole scale for judging a players
worth or potential.
Woods will be a very solid,long term acquisition for us.IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This signing seems suspicious to me, almost as if Whitworth has gone to Los Angeles to retire. Why would he leave a perennial playoff contender to join one of the worst franchises in the NFL?
High character guy....maybe he sees this as, he got off before the Titanic hit the berg....and he believes in Sean McVay...Plus, Cinn...I know you called us the worst...geez that hurts...but Cinnci is in some trouble...They HAVE TALENT, and still can't win....wtf is wrong with THEM????

Woods, quite frankly, sucks at football. He has never eclipsed 700 receiving yards in a season. He had one touchdown last year. One! He hasn't averaged more than 11.7 yards per reception in three years. He has played all 16 games just once in his 4-year career. He's just ... bad.
There was an old Ice Cube song that starts out something like, "here's what they think of you.....got DAMN I'm glad yall said it all..."
Woods should tape this kinda shit to his locker.

I can't wait to see whom the Rams pair him with on the opposite side for 4 or 5 years, although I do know he isn't on the roster yet.
Kenny Golladay and/or Robert Davis
http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/g...mparisons-nfl-combine/lerE5bKj0zgLdh8DmMwMuK/
First among all wide receivers with a broad jump of 136.0 inches.

• Second in the vertical jump among wide receivers with a 41.0-inch leap.

• Third among wide receivers in the bench press with 19 repetitions of 225 pounds.

Davis was a first-team all-conference pick at Georgia State, averaging 16.1 yards per catch in 2015 (61-980, six TD) and leading the Sun Belt in receiving yards per game (77.8) and averaging 43.8 yards on his five touchdowns in 2016.

His measurements drew the quick eye of some NFL researchers:

View: https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/838066843017359360

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-for-these-prospects/?utm_term=.d7a9a8b9fbb5
I walked into the bench press arena just as Georgia State receiver Robert Davis strode across stage. I had seen Davis on tape but was floored by how much he looked like a basketball player. The 6-3, 220-pound receiving prospect then threw up 19 reps of 225 pounds on the bench in front of the assembled crowd in the Indiana State Convention Center. The next day, he leaped 41 inches on the vertical jump, went 11-feet, 4-inches on the broad jump and then blazed a 4.44 in the 40-yard dash. He showed why, and how, he broke all of Albert Wilson’s (Kansas City Chiefs) receiving records at Georgia State.
I'm taking either of these guys in the 4th or 5th rounds....maybe both...and shaking a bunch of what's left after Fish...

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Reminds me of my grades in Math during my college years...Anyway some liked the Woods signing more than I did because of him coming home and when leaned upon (Seahawk) game Woods did come shinning through. I'm hoping that Woods being a great leader can assist some of the other WR's to improve their game and I still believe there is plenty of upside in his game as long as durability is not a concern.
In weighing Barwin and Whitworth's Value/Grade I'm looking at the scheme they came from vs the scheme they will be in. I think they grade out better than is posted!! JMHO! I can't wait to see what Phillips does with them!!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I can't wait to see what Phillips does with them!!

Well, @DaveFan'51 Phillips won't have anything to do with Andrew Whitworth besides some kind words or muttering "Curses, foiled again." when going up against Whitworth in practice.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

wow, i can't believe how they go on about woods contract. it's an average of $6.8m per year. it's not like they broke the bank for him. if he pans out it will be a great contract, even with the incentives added on. if he doesn't he can be cut with no dead money cap hit.

stupid idiots.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well, @DaveFan'51 Phillips won't have anything to do with Andrew Whitworth besides some kind words or muttering "Curses, foiled again." when going up against Whitworth in practice.
Of course, Phillips will use Whitworth as a Teaching tool against his "D" why wouldn't he!! He'd be stupid not to!!

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
You do not "grade" personnel moves until after you have performances to study.

I know it is the offseason and I know there is little else to discuss.

But, to give any credence to any of these "grades" gives them much too much importance. People who make such "predictions" remind me of those folks who like to ramble on and on.....overjoyed with hearing themselves speak.......only this time in print.

We will soon see just how asute the McVaySnead moves were and it will be the play on the field which yields the only meaningful assessment.

Frankly, I think we have done quite well....although I doubt I would have accepted the Hayes trade.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I look at the Woods contract as a win-win. Basically a one year prove it contract with a bonus. If he sucks, you can dump him next season without a cap hit. He he performs really well, you have him locked up for years on a good contract. I haven't seen the details of Webster's deal, hopefully his contract is similar.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I look at the Woods contract as a win-win. Basically a one year prove it contract with a bonus. If he sucks, you can dump him next season without a cap hit. He he performs really well, you have him locked up for years on a good contract. I haven't seen the details of Webster's deal, hopefully his contract is similar.

Webster
3/13/2017: Signed a two-year, $8 million contract. Another $4 million is available through incentives.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Frankly, I think we have done quite well....although I doubt I would have accepted the Hayes trade.
this^ pretty much sums it up for me!!(y)(y) And I too think the Rams let Hayes go too Cheap!!!:shades:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The comments about the Whitworth signing I find interesting as he refers to the Bengals as a perennial playoff contender, IMHO, Whitworth left a franchise he knows is trending down for one that is arrow has to be pointing up and while embracing Horace Greeley's philosophy of heading west. Whitworth spoke about having his first opportunity to experience free agency and the Rams made him priority one. I guarantee you the Rams will have a better record than Cincinnati in 2017 which will be Marvin Lewis last season. "A perennial playoff team, that has never won a post season game under Lewis, egad!