Grading the Top Free Agent Signings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's a pretty good read (lots of players anyway) at the link.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag...barnwell-grades-big-2017-free-agent-deals-nfl

OLB Connor Barwin, Rams
Grade: B

Even though Barwin struggled in the move to a wide-nine scheme under Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz last season, there's probably still a productive pass-rusher lurking in there. Over the last two years, Barwin has taken down opposing quarterbacks once every 46.1 pass-rush attempts. That's 15th in the league among guys with 800 attempts or more over that time frame (25 per game), nestling Barwin right between Ziggy Ansah and Robert Quinn, his new teammate in Los Angeles.

Brian Robison and William Gholston are making in 2017. Barwin, 30, is capable enough to add value as a coverage guy, too, and he'll drop back more frequently as a 3-4 outside linebacker under Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. It's a little odd to see Los Angeles targeting players such as Barwin and Andrew Whitworth as part of their rebuild, but getting useful talent without needing to make a long-term commitment beats the alternative.

OT Andrew Whitworth, Rams
Grade: B+

The Rams have spent years attempting to develop their left tackle of the future -- without any success. Now they have their best left tackle since Hall of Famer Orlando Pace. Whitworth isn't quite a Hall of Famer, but he has been one of the five best left tackles in football for several years now while protecting Andy Dalton's blind side in Cincinnati. He hasn't slipped much, if at all. Stats LLC suggests Whitworth didn't allow a single sack during the 2016 season.

The 35-year-old obviously isn't going to be Los Angeles' left tackle for the long haul, which raises questions as to why a rebuilding team would hand Whitworth a three-year, $36 million deal. There are two clear arguments for the deal. One is that the Rams are really committed to Whitworth for only one year; they guaranteed the three-time Pro Bowler $12.5 million in 2017 with just $2.5 million due in guarantees the following year. That's paying Whitworth less than the franchise tag would have cost this season.

Jared Goff. Goff was a mess in the pocket as a rookie but also was beset by pass pressure; he faced the league's third-highest blitz rate (34.3 percent) and second-highest pressure rate (35.6 percent) while taking sacks an unreal 11.2 percent of the time. No quarterback was going to look remotely competent under that level of pressure, let alone somebody as inexperienced as Goff. Whitworth should take over for the massively frustrating Greg Robinson and lock down one side of the line for the time being.

WR Robert Woods, Rams
Grade: D+

After Marquise Goodwin picked up two years and $8 million from the 49ers Wednesday, the league's primal urge to sign non-Sammy Watkins receivers away from the Bills hit a fever pitch on Thursday with the Woods signing. Los Angeles committed five years and $39 million for Woods to replace Kenny Britt in their lineup, including $15 million guaranteed. This comes one year after the Rams gave Tavon Austin a four-year, $42-million extension with an unreal $28.5 million in guarantees, a deal that might be the worst contract in football this year. Unless the Rams stretch his roster bonus (which would be an even worse idea), Austin is going to get $15 million in 2017, which will be the third-highest cap hit for a wideout in football.

What are the Rams getting with Woods? It's hard to tell. He hasn't been particularly productive, despite spending all four of his seasons in Buffalo as a starting wide receiver. Among the 33 wideouts with 45 or more starts since 2013, Woods ranks 28th in receptions, 31st in receiving yards and tied for 31st in touchdowns. He's still young -- Woods turns 25 in April -- but there isn't much evidence that he is developing as a pass-catcher.

The other benefit to Woods is his blocking as a wideout, and indeed, he might be one of the best blockers in football on the edge. He offers value there, but how often do teams really value blocking in their wide receivers? Isn't it likely that the Rams could have picked up a decent blocker on the edge at wideout for a fraction of Woods' price? Woods feels like a weak-hitting first baseman with a good glove, where the secondary skill is useful but doesn't do nearly enough to mitigate his missing bat.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Reminds me of my grades in Math during my college years...Anyway some liked the Woods signing more than I did because of him coming home and when leaned upon (Seahawk) game Woods did come shinning through. I'm hoping that Woods being a great leader can assist some of the other WR's to improve their game and I still believe there is plenty of upside in his game as long as durability is not a concern.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Good read... but the analysis seems to be based only on stat lines that do not tell the whole story.
Woods is a better player than this article suggests, not elite but a quality WR and his impact to this team goes well beyond being a good blocker on the edge.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still funny they're grading Woods off of the front line numbers.Wood's contract is 5 years at $34 million. With another $5 M in bonuses and escalators if he meets performance numbers. Woods 2018 salary and roster bonus becomes guaranteed on the 5th day of the league year. So if he tanks this year we could get out of the deal for 1 year $7 million.

TexasRam

Legend
Fair grades. I for one did not like the Woods signing. The article is spot on in regards to Woods. Blocking is nice but a WR must be able to get open first and foremost. WR's that can't get open stall drives and handicap offenses. There is a possibility that Woods can ascend as a pass WR with the Rams but projection is the Downfall of many a coach.

At least the contract has a blackout plan.

Barwin and Whitworth are excellent signings.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still funny they're grading Woods off of the front line numbers.Wood's contract is 5 years at $34 million. With another $5 M in bonuses and escalators if he meets performance numbers. Woods 2018 salary and roster bonus becomes guaranteed on the 5th day of the league year. So if he tanks this year we could get out of the deal for 1 year $7 million.

They're only journalists. They can't think that hard. Basic numbers are all they can process.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fair grades. I for one did not like the Woods signing. The article is spot on in regards to Woods. Blocking is nice but a WR must be able to get open first and foremost. WR's that can't get open stall drives and handicap offenses. There is a possibility that Woods can ascend as a pass WR with the Rams but projection is the Downfall of many a coach.

I think his route running allows him to get open just fine.
Its not his fault that he has mostly been behind Sammy Watkins on a run-first team with shit QBs who cant go through progressions or put the ball where it needs to be for the WR to catch it.

No, he isnt Torry Holt or Isaac Bruce, but he isnt Brandon Gibson either.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think his route running allows him to get open just fine.
Its not his fault that he has mostly been behind Sammy Watkins on a run-first team with crap QBs who cant go through progressions or put the ball where it needs to be for the WR to catch it.

No, he isnt Torry Holt or Isaac Bruce, but he isnt Brandon Gibson either.

I am really anxious to see Woods. He's still very young which would imply upside... but on the surface I can see why some would call it an over-pay.

Interesting to me the Rams chose Woods over Garçon or Jackson, with those ties to McVay. While Woods comes cheaper, they could have made the others work if they wanted.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
These grades are harsh. A D+ for Woods?? Gtfo. Woods is a solid C+, possible B-. He brings more than stats reveal.

Wentworth is an A+ signing and Bars in is a B+.

This writer blows.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
A little harsh but Woods is a prove it guy. All his points were valid but maybe a bit harsh. Many receivers have come into their own at 25 and we are hoping Woods will. The contract is not a steal deal nor is it a desperate display of overpaying.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I don't mind the grades for Whitworth or Barwin just based on age. But the Woods grade is a joke. They take into no account the scheme changes. If we were gonna run the run first pass never offense that Buffalo runs, then yeah this deal was shit. But that's not going to be our offense, and Woods will turn out to be a B+ signing.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Nobody is going to give Robert Woods a good grade until they see what he does in our system. McVay will get him over 1,000 and then nobody will even bat an eye at that contact.

jap

Legend
I can't wait for Robert to meet Isaac and Torry and glean nuggets of knowledge from their experiences, especially Isaac who was as complete a receiver as has ever competed in the NFL. Conner has been around long enough that he may not need extra knowledge from Horns' alum, Kevin Greene, but it would still be pretty cool for them to meet. I can also see Andrew socializing with 'Lando Pace in due time.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Blocking is nice but a WR must be able to get open first and foremost.
If the one good thing about a receiver is his blocking....you're in trouble. But Woods is more than a glorified tackle at wideout.
They're only journalists. They can't think that hard. Basic numbers are all they can process.
Oooh weeee! couple writers in here are about to attack! LOLOLOL

Interesting to me the Rams chose Woods over Garçon or Jackson, with those ties to McVay.
Did we choose Woods over them? Or did D-Jax and Garcon choose their respective teams over us? And Garcon got a sweet deal...D-Jax's wasn't bad either...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did we choose Woods over them? Or did D-Jax and Garcon choose their respective teams over us? And Garcon got a sweet deal...D-Jax's wasn't bad either...

Well... good question and I can't possibly answer without speculating.

My assumption is having Garçon or Jackson would significantly help deploy McVay's offense... but they elected not to do that.

They must have weighed the cost of acquiring one of those guys, vs the benefit of having their experience. In doing so; chose Woods.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I see it similarly. The grades are a bit hard on us with good reason, as it's the Rams. If the Patriots had signed Whitworth it would have been "A- bringing in the best LT of the offseason for an affordable rate, still at the top of his game but a short contract, blah blah blah." Regardless it was an enormous move and one I didn't think we had a snowball's chance in hell of pulling off without grossly overpaying him. For me it is a clear A because he is still playing at the top of his game and the Rams did not overpay, and lastly can get out from under it if and when age catches up to him.

The Woods signing was a bit of desperation to get a good route runner in here who also is a fit for the culture. It is what it is. But I'll add that there is a chance it ends up being not so much of an overpay simply due to the fact that he's moving from a run-centric scheme to one that will be passing a lot more. D+ is another low grade, but they did overpay so whatever. I'd go with a C myself on him for now, simply due to contract value vs production.

Barwin was a big surprise to me. He's not elite but he is a fit in scheme and locker room. The contract value is not too bad given him being a pass rusher, so I'd give it a B range grade.

When I look at the FA period overall I expected us to move Saffold to LT and rebuild the interior of the line and suck it up for a season. But the Rams exceeded my expectations. Upgrading LT with the only true option on the market and not overpaying while other teams overpaid far lesser options demonstrates that this team is on a different playing field with McVay and this staff in town. For that reason alone this offseason has been a success, now they just gotta have a strong draft.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pierre Garcon's numbers before turning 26 weren't all that great either and he had an in prime Peyton Manning throwing him the ball in several seasons.
Admittedly, Woods numbers don't pop off the page however if you've ever seen a Buffalo game you'd know why. He is at best 3rd option at LOS and Tyrod either throws to 1st option or takes off

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't buy that Woods is replacing Britt, we're still looking for our true # 1 WR, i'm more inclined to see Woods as Quick's replacement. Better yet, Woods' catching percentage exceeds that of Britt and blows away Quick.

Woods' age, upside, route running skills and hands make this a very solid pick-up for the Rams. Grade : B+

Last edited:

nimite

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
walterfootball.com (don't like all of his analysis but it's an opinion like another) :

Rams sign DE/OLB Connor Barwin (1 year, $6.5 million): A- Grade
Connor Barwin struggled this past year, but is two seasons removed from collecting 14.5 sacks. Some might point to age (31 in November) for Barwin's decline, but it really was the fact that he was miscast as a 4-3 defensive end in 2016. Barwin has performed well in the 3-4 throughout his career, which is good news for his outlook going forward.

The Rams have been utilizing a 4-3 for a very long time, but that's changing. In the wake of the Wade Phillips hire, Los Angeles will move to a 3-4, so that's why the Barwin signing makes a lot of sense. He's the favorite to start across from Robert Quinn.

This is a very good move. Barwin is a high-effort player who provides experience and talent, and he should be a strong contributor for the Rams. He could begin to decline soon, but he should be fine for 2017, and it's not like the Rams are taking a risk anyway.

Rams sign CB Kayvon Webster (2 years, $8 million): C- Grade
Kayvon Webster received a lot of attention this offseason for a cornerback who hasn't proven anything in the NFL. Webster was a third-round pick in the dreadful 2013 NFL Draft, but has played behind some stellar corners in Denver, so he's never been able to see that many snaps.

Webster, however, hasn't been good when he's been given the chance. Torched on a high percentage of his snaps, Webster didn't deserve anything close to $4 million per year. This is an overpay, though at two years, $8 million, it's not an egregious one.

Still, I have to grade the Rams negatively. With a great group of 2017 NFL Draft Cornerback Prospects coming in, there was no reason to dish out $4 million annually to someone as underwhelming as Webster. It's nice that Webster can play for Wade Phillips again, but that's not enough to save Los Angeles from a C-.

Rams sign WR Robert Woods (5 years, $39 million): MILLEN A YEAR WITHOUT KIELBASA Grade
I'll admit when I'm wrong. I was wrong today. I said the Browns signing Kenny Britt would be the worst signing of the offseason. That was an incorrect statement, and I'm ashamed of myself for not thinking that another incompetent franchise could one-up the Browns, but yet, here we are.

I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't in some sort of horrible nightmare when I saw the financial terms of this contract. The Rams should be utterly embarrassed that they offered this sort of money to Robert Woods. On my Facebook wall, I compared the Browns signing Britt to a millionaire spending thousands on stale bread. Well, this is like a millionaire spending thousands on moldy bread with rat feces on it. That's how bad Woods is.

Woods, quite frankly, sucks at football. He has never eclipsed 700 receiving yards in a season. He had one touchdown last year. One! He hasn't averaged more than 11.7 yards per reception in three years. He has played all 16 games just once in his 4-year career. He's just ... bad.

The Rams are getting the worst Millen ("F") grade thus far. If Millen thought that the Britt contract was worth giving up kielbasas for a day, this one will keep him kielbasa-free for a year.