Grading the Rams' Positional Coaches

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah, so I'm bored, and aside from the fact that we have zero chance to lose this weekend, I really hate bye weeks. So I decided to grade out the different positional coaches based on my own armchair observations, and also I have avoided getting into discussion on the coordinators as they are well-nuked already:

GRADE A (This is the kind of job production that gets dudes selected for coordinator jobs!)

Frank Cignetti - his job getting Austin Davis prepared has really paid off this season, so far that is. The difference in the kid's play from last year is nothing short of profound. He also has reportedly been working with Keenum, although hopefully we won't see anything but Davis if things continue to go well.

Rob Boras - probably the most impressive job of all the coaching staff in my estimation. Cook is off to a great start. But where his coaching is really showing is in the depth. Kendricks looks excellent, after having myself wonder if he'll ever become a good passing threat. Harkey, much like Kendricks, gives the Rams a second TE who can block very well and still be a threat you can trust in the passing game. And of course Bayer, who has already been made active after being a UDFA addition to the roster. Outstanding job to Mr. Boras, IMO.

GRADE B (Excellent job developing his guys but not quite lights out)

Ray Sherman – he deserves a strong grade alone for the development of Quick, it is that huge for this team going forward to have a WR that teams know they have to put their top CB on. But his effect goes deeper… Drop issues across the entire WR corps seem to have been rectified. Britt looks good enough that the Rams got a 1 year bargain on him, think we can say that. Bailey still needs to show that next level jump, but he continues to look like he’s on track. Austin, well, can’t have everything, but he has been slowed a bit by injury and there’s a lot of season left.

Paul Boudreau – he has done a pretty good job so far with a mostly veteran group that looks like it could use an upgrade. Unfortunately, the DLs they have gone against the last two games are garbage. Also, I am irked by the fact that our admittedly outstanding OL coach couldn’t just focus GRob in on OG and have him ready, as it sure would be nice to have a dominant, road-grading interior. Still, overall I am happy with the unit.

GRADE C (Earning his paycheck)

John Fassel – I don’t like the way he settled with the returns, the selection from among the talent available could have been better from day one with more utilization of Mason and/or some of the glut of DBs like Reid being featured. Seems like a continuation of last year with strong coverage (which I do think is most important) and lots of room to improve consistency-wise on the returns.

Chuck Cecil – I wanted to give him a B, given the way the young DBs have come in and provided significant roles. Jenks looks great, and he has had to deal with the loss of Johnson who may be the best CB on the roster. Our two young safeties seem to be coming along, as well, in a new defense that is a little more complicated in that it allows some deviation and decision making. But the defensive backfield has had some rookie-like breakdowns so he gets a C.

Ben Sirmans – he seems to be doing a pretty good job. Stacy wasn’t exactly lights out from the start of the season, but there were many issues with the blocking and focus on him as the Rams established that teams had to respect their QB. He has brought Cunningham along nicely and seems to have reduced his fumbling tendency. Watts sure adapted quickly as well, impressive for a UDFA to be getting snaps already. But Mason not being involved is my issue with him and why he’s in the C range.

GRADE D (Not impressed)

Mike Waufle – there have been bright spots, but overall this DL unit is not getting the job done thus far. The loss of Chris Long was a blow, granted, but his group has been plagued by blown assignments and overall they are not getting it done.

Frank Bush – I have been very irritated by the overall LB play. They get caught in traffic, miss gaps, have trouble beating blocks, and burned by misdirection. The two guys who are to be on the field at all times need to raise the bar with the rest of the front seven. As with the DL group I expect a weekly uptick to their play and production as they settle in with the calls and execute them but for now they’re underwhelming.

So overall... There is a clear association between the struggling groups and the addition of a new DC. Of those groups the secondary has performed the best, which makes me think Williams very much focused on them in his integration with the staff in ensuring his scheme is well understood and executable. Did he perhaps not focus as much on that front seven? Maybe, who knows, but I would guess that is the case given that they are mostly a vet group. So, as I have mentioned before, I expect big strides by the two units comprising the front seven in the next couple weeks. Hopefully they'll make a statement against Philly, lord knows we'll need it.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I don't really know much about the coaching staff. But either way, this was a good read. The crappy thing, the two coaches that got D grades arguably have the most talent on the team. Waufle is obvious with the d line. But Bush with JL55, Ogletree and Dunbar should have been doing a better job. I'm sure they'll get it together, it's still early.

iced

No way I can give Rob Boras a high grade with Jared cook's blocking - it's just laughable at times.. whether its effort or technique, its on the coaches to get the most potential out of him - and he's clearly not doing it with our highest paid player in his group.

I personally think Kendricks is a better all around tight end and I'd rather keep him over cook.

Boudreu would get a B for me - both Center and RG are playing too poorly for me to grade higher.

Only one who gets an A is cignetti - not for just his work with Davis, but also for Bradford when he was in the first two preseason games. He looked like a much different qb than we've seen the past few years

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
What's puzzling is that Mike Waufle has always been a top notch DL coach. Did he forget how to do his job during the offseason or is it that the players that are not responding? It could also be that Chris Long is "the straw that stirs the drink" and without him the DL is not responding as well.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
What's puzzling is that Mike Waufle has always been a top notch DL coach. Did he forget how to do his job during the offseason or is it that the players that are not responding? It could also be that Chris Long is "the straw that stirs the drink" and without him the DL is not responding as well.

The problem is NOT Waufle. It is the stupid blitzes Williams uses that take great rushers like Quinn and put them playing contain or coverage. It's the appalling lack of offensive holding calls on obvious plays. Combine that with the offensive gameplans designed to limit sack exposure and the lack of C Long and I'd say Waufle is the least of our concerns.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The loss of Long does hurt. But the way I see it, if they're that bad without him, maybe they weren't all that great to begin with.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Like @leoram , I think it's scheme with the DL....loops & stunts...plus the 3 man line bullsh!t....Overall like your assessments....I still think the DB's & LB's can do a bunch more to help....Poor open field tackling, and staying deep at the single high safety.....But the DL has played the worst of any unit. I like what Westbrooks brings....

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Sherman gets an A from me right now. The WRs are on point, Quick looks terrific, Austin Pettis is looking great and better than he ever has, Britt is getting open and making plays, he's done nice work with Bailey, just overall he gets an A from me. Yeah, Tavon isn't where we would like him to be, but he's still developing and that's not Shermans fault, it takes time, and Givens hasn't been anything like his rookie year the past couple years, but that's on him for lack of effort not the WR coach. Sherman has been doing a great job in my opinion, our receivers are looking very effective.

Similarly, the same thing with Boras. He's getting the most out of the TE group. We have a lot of weapons suddenly on this offense.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Bailey still needs to show that next level jump, but he continues to look like he’s on track.
This statement confounds me. Bailey made that jump last year. When he got suspended everyone was talking about what a great lose it was ect... Now that Quick is catching the ball and Bailey has not been playing he has been cast aside like a nobody. Bailey is IMHO still the Rams best receiver and offensive play maker. Shotty needs to get this guy in the game plan. To not do so is ridicules. It should have been Bailey on the end around last game not Cook. It should have been Bailey targeted in the end zone last game not Cook. In fact I would bet that if you lined Bailey up in the TE spot he would out play Cook in every facet including blocking.