Grading the 2016 Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is something that I think is fun to do as we go forward in years 3+ and we see what guys really become. Thinking about Littleton's development while in the other thread got me thinkin about it, so here's a quick set of grades given production vs draft spot:

1. Goff: A+. His stats in his first 3 years are on par with the greatest QBs in this game's history. Super Bowl challenger in year three. Anything less than an A+ is MFing wrong.

4. Higbee: B+. He gets this grade due to the round 4 selection and the fact that he's started for us since. Not an impact player, but more a blue collar type starter that you can't have enough of on a team. As a TE he's a stout blocker and can make some plays for you in the passing game.

4. Cooper: C-. Started off looking like a core teams guy who could play a bit in the slot. Ended up with a broken psyche after the 2017 playoff meltdown on returns. Gets this grade due to his teams contributions before the talent squeezed him off the roster.

6. Hemingway: F. Typical Fisher type selection, which I am fine with by the way in round 6. But in spite of his size/length/athleticism he never became a core teams guy and never developed as a TE.

6. Forrest: F. Same as above. This guy should have been a teams demon.

6. Thomas: B-. Core teams player since his drafting, demonstrated ability as a plus gunner. Made McVay's roster in his final year of team control. Might be a starter down the road but it probably won't be for the Rams.

UDFA Littleton: A+. Core teams player early. Has grown into a Pro Bowl level starting ILB, good vs the run and pass. Remarkable find.

Overall grade: A. Rams ended years of futility by manning up and going and getting their franchise QB, which is a successful draft in any year. But they also managed to find a Pro Bowl LB and a solid TE starter. Not amazing or record breaking, but the kind of draft that you build a team around nice job Les Snead and company, and I include Jeff Fisher in that as well.