Grade the Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
I think grading the draft immediately after draft is fun, but also pointless. Time will always tell. That being said, it's time to grade the draft from 3 years ago.

2014 - RAMS

SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
2 Greg Robinson T Auburn
13 Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
41 Lamarcus Joyner CB Florida State
75 Tre Mason RB Auburn
110 Maurice Alexander SS Utah State
188 E.J. Gaines DB Missouri
214 Garrett Gilbert QB Southern Methodist
226 Mitchell Van Dyk T Portland State
241 Christian Bryant DB Ohio State
249 Michael Sam DE Missouri
250 Demetrius Rhaney

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
upload_2017-4-29_18-59-57.jpeg

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Went back and looked at a few draft grades for this draft, the Robinson picked was loved by almost everybody. Just goes to show you that you shouldn't get too hyped or depressed by these grades.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
That was actually an excellent draft. If you get two or more starters, it's an A+. We got Donald, Robinson, Joyner, Alexander and Gaines. Hell, even Tre Mason produced for us.

FRO

Legend
Probably the most successful draft in the Snead/Fisher era due to Donald alone. HOF talent and production. Too bad Robinson busted.

FRO

Legend
Hey what was so bad about Michael Sam? Wasn't he pretty decent?
He got cut in preseason. Instead of focusing and trying to make the team he tried cashing in on being the first openly gay player. That sort of distraction from a seventh rounder doomed him. Plus Westbrook was simply better.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Probably the most successful draft in the Snead/Fisher era due to Donald alone. HOF talent and production. Too bad Robinson busted.
Robinson is not a bust. He gets such a bad rap here. Watch him prove you wrong this year and dominate the right side. You'll barely hear his name.

TexasRam

Legend
I personally think EJ had a down year due to nagging injuries and will be back for a strong year. I completely see Robinson as a bust.

All things considered, it was a
Solid draft. A HOFer and some solid starters.

Solid B

FRO

Legend
Robinson is not a bust. He gets such a bad rap here. Watch him prove you wrong this year and dominate the right side. You'll barely hear his name.
The team moved him for a reason. To this date he hasn't live up to expectations. He isn't an abomination, but he hasn't played too well either.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Robinson - F. I'm not picking on him but I can't possibly give this a passing grade. 2nd overall pick, supposed franchise LT who's a healthy scratch in year 3 and the Rams most heavily penalized offensive lineman since Alex Barron and Richie Incognito. Fatal flaw for coaching staffs, overestimating their ability to "coach 'em up".

Donald - A+. Goes without saying. I believe Merlin Olsen is the only other Ram player to make the Pro Bowl in each of his first three seasons.

Joyner and Alexander I'd give a B, Mason a D. Not quite a fail because of a respectable rookie year. Maybe they should've seen the issues with him earlier, maybe not. Gaines is a C+. Looked like a steal in year one but two disappointing seasons since.

If Gaines can come around I'd say the Rams hit on four of their first six picks which overall deserves a solid B, B+. The no 2 overall pick in the draft was a golden opportunity and to not cash in keeps this draft from a A.

FRO

Legend
Robinson - F. I'm not picking on him but I can't possibly give this a passing grade. 2nd overall pick, supposed franchise LT who's a healthy scratch in year 3 and the Rams most heavily penalized offensive lineman since Alex Barron and Richie Incognito. Fatal flaw for coaching staffs, overestimating their ability to "coach 'em up".

Donald - A+. Goes without saying. I believe Merlin Olsen is the only other Ram player to make the Pro Bowl in each of his first three seasons.

Joyner and Alexander I'd give a B, Mason a D. Not quite a fail because of a respectable rookie year. Maybe they should've seen the issues with him earlier, maybe not. Gaines is a C+. Looked like a steal in year one but two disappointing seasons since.

If Gaines can come around I'd say the Rams hit on four of their first six picks which overall deserves a solid B, B+. The no 2 overall pick in the draft was a golden opportunity and to not cash in keeps this draft from a A.
Totally agree with this assessment.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If we could grab a HOF player (Donald) every draft, imagine how good we'd be! For that reason alone this draft gets an "A".

Joyner, Gaines, and Alexander are good players.

Robinson might not ever live up to the 2nd overall spot, but he's going to have a long career in this league at RT or guard and maybe another shot at LT. With the Rams or elsewhere. Hardly as bust, IMO.

It's an "A" draft, no question in my mind. Statistically speaking we could have grabbed other players and made this an A+++ but if that kind of hindsight can be bottled... pass me some.