Gov.Nixon Outlines Stadium Priorities

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamBill

Legend
Bernie: Nixon outlines stadium priorities
• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_0a858490-b7b8-5104-8e1a-92863cbbaece.html

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon had a prime seat at the Scottrade Center for Saturday’s annual Braggin’ Rights basketball game between Mizzou and Illinois. Nixon’s favorite team lost a heartbreaker, 62-59, on a 3-point shot that beat the buzzer and the Tigers. It was a stunning way for the Tigers to go down and it left Nixon and his fellow MU loyalists deflated.

That’s sports. You win some, you lose some, and you try again. And Nixon, the impassioned sports fan, is striving for a major victory on another front: keeping the Rams in St. Louis.

I asked Nixon what he’d say to Rams fans that will walk into the Edward Jones Dome for Sunday’s game against the Giants, worried that the team will be moving to Los Angeles.

The Rams can jump from their dome lease after the season, and owner Stan Kroenke has been eyeing the Los Angeles market. But it appears increasingly unlikely the league will allow any team to move to LA for the 2015 season. ESPN reported Saturday that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has already told the Rams, Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers that no team will be in LA next year.

Nixon, however, still wanted to offer assurances to Rams fans.

“We’ll be as competitive to keep the Rams and make sure this is a top-quality NFL city as the Rams were in Atlanta when they won the Super Bowl,” Nixon said in an interview during halftime of the basketball game. “We’re really focused on the task at hand.”

Nixon is awaiting a report on a new-stadium proposal from his two-man task force, former Anheuser-Busch executive Dave Peacock and St. Louis attorney Bob Blitz.

Peacock and Blitz have a Jan. 28 deadline, but sources familiar with the process say the report almost certainly will be delivered much sooner, perhaps early January. At that point some details — including venue location and an artist’s rendering — will be shared with the public.

Peacock and Blitz have made swift and significant progress in their difficult mission to come up with a long-term stadium plan to secure the Rams’ future here.

Late last month Peacock traveled to New York to meet with NFL executive vice president Eric Grubman to get the league up to speed on the urgency of the St. Louis effort. Peacock showed Grubman preliminary plans for a stadium near the Mississippi River north of the Gateway Arch.

Peacock has also reached out to MLS commissioner Don Garber to lay the groundwork for obtaining a soccer franchise for St. Louis during a future round of MLS expansion. The soccer team would play in the Rams’ stadium.

I can add something else: the proposed stadium will be one part of a major development of the northern St. Louis riverfront, which is loaded with mostly unoccupied buildings.

While Nixon declined to confirm those details, he shared his primary objectives in this stadium drive.

Nixon referred to them as “the core principles,” that must be fulfilled for the project to go forward. Here are Nixon’s six priorities, presented verbatim. And I included my comments where appropriate.

1. “The project’s got to be sited on land that will result in the eradication of existing blight as well as establish a location that wouldn’t be developed in the foreseeable future but for the stadium project,” Nixon said.

Comment: This sure sounds like a description of the northern riverfront.

2. “The tract needs to be certified, as required in an environmental cleanup,” Nixon said. “In order to get this thing done that’s important.”

3. “The construction phase is going to have to provide jobs that pay competitive wages, and we’re going to try and source as many materials here to get the major economic benefit,” Nixon said.

4. “The project has to also incorporate a plan to maximize the ongoing economic value of the current dome, so that we can continue to show a benefit, long range.”

Comment: Sources familiar with Nixon’s thinking said the goal is to “repurpose” the Edward Jones Dome to make it a more viable lucrative facility for hosting conventions and other major events.

5. “The stadium will be held as a public asset, not as a private asset,” Nixon said. “So we’ll have more flexibility.”

Comment: In other words, Kroenke and the Rams won’t own the stadium.

6. “There’s going to be no new tax burden on taxpayers in the local region or the state of Missouri,” Nixon said. “And that includes no proposals submitted to the voters for the purpose of increasing taxes for this.”

Comment: That’s a crucial aspect to this attempted project. But without new taxes, where’s the funding source? The parameters presumably will be included in the Peacock-Blitz report. According to sources familiar with the basic plan, much of the funding will come from the existing bonds that are paying off the Edward Jones Dome.

The bonds are due to run out in 2021, and apparently an attempt will be made to refinance and extend the bonds and roll them over to a new stadium/riverfront development. Moreover, the NFL and the Rams would contribute as much as $400 million to $450 million (combined) to the project. That’s in accordance with the NFL’s “G-4” stadium fund.

“That’s the frame of where we are,” Nixon said of the core principles. “How does that frame play out? That’s what Dave and Bob are working on, to try and put together a proposal for me to look at.”

Nixon reiterated that plan must be big on development. He isn’t interested in a stadium-only concept. And he is confident that Peacock and Blitz will present something more sweeping and substantial in scope.

“We’re working with the right people to make sure that there’s not only a benefit to sports fans, but much more importantly an economic benefit to the region, both in the short run and long run,” Nixon said. “And this assists in the continued transformation of the area downtown. And continues to add value to the region and our state.

“What we’re looking at here is solid economic development to keep the Rams here. While you want to have the basic underlying piece of this make sure that you’re an NFL city. What that means for us is — we want to keep the Rams. But there’s much more to it than that.”

Peacock and Blitz have received positive feedback from Grubman and Goodell. League officials like the tentative plans and have encouraged the St. Louis task force to keep moving forward on the stadium pursuit.

“I think it’s fair to say the NFL has appreciated their relationship with St. Louis,” Nixon said. “They see it as a good place. Now they’re looking for concrete, positive action by public and private interests here that we want to compete (for the Rams). And in my view we will do that before the mid to late part of January.

“It’s important to both Rams fans as well as St. Louisans to know we’re a major-league city. And to know that the Rams are a team that we support.”

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Beautiful! You couple feel a lot of optimism in those words and I really like the direction this is going. :cheers:

FRO

Legend
Any other St. Louis native a little worried that Nixon is involved? After royally fouling up the Ferguson situation I hope he doesn't screw this up. I can't wait to see the renderings and look through the proposal.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
So the same news as the last few months then?
Nope, not the same news as the last few months. One of the main things to come out of this is the fact that the NFL is not allowing ANY team to move to L.A. in 2015. The fact that Peacock met with Grubman and Goodell and have received positive feedback for their plans thus far isn't the same news that was reported months ago.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Any other St. Louis native a little worried that Nixon is involved? After royally fouling up the Ferguson situation I hope he doesn't screw this up. I can't wait to see the renderings and look through the proposal.
I'm not. Two totally different things, plus the fact that Peacock is involved makes me feel really good about this. I'm anxious to hear about the proposal as well.

FRO

Legend
I'm not. Two totally different things, plus the fact that Peacock is involved makes me feel really good about this. I'm anxious to hear about the proposal as well.
Peacock sounds like our savior, I'm just worried Nixon will get too involved and screw it up. Until the Rams sign on for another 40 years I will be a nervous wreck.

#5 seems like a tough hurdle. Especially if you expect the organization to chip in 7 figures. All in all it doesn't matter where they play...just get them out of the Dome. Please.

FRO

Legend
#5 seems like a tough hurdle. Especially if you expect the organization to chip in 7 figures. All in all it doesn't matter where they play...just get them out of the Dome. Please.
Yeah it's hard to imagine a guy like Stan not having involvement in the development and owning of the building. I get the sense from almost every report I read that he wants to move the team. The only thing that can save St Louis is the NFL.

And I agree football in a warehouse sucks.

Ramathon

...I get the sense from almost every report I read that he wants to move the team. ...

What actual 'reports' have you heard. I've heard nothing but a LOT of rumor and innuendo. SK has said absolutely nothing. Demmof has said only that 'all options are on the table' (or words pretty close to that).

The talking heads on ESPN like LaCanfora & Schefter are nothing more than the sports world equivalent of Hollywood Gossip Columnists.

FRO

Legend
What actual 'reports' have you heard. I've heard nothing but a LOT of rumor and innuendo. SK has said absolutely nothing. Demmof has said only that 'all options are on the table' (or words pretty close to that).

The talking heads on ESPN like LaCanfora & Schefter are nothing more than the sports world equivalent of Hollywood Gossip Columnists.
Yeah I guess with La Confora's track record I shouldn't be listening to anything he says.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I get the sense from almost every report I read that he wants to move the team.

The only thing that can save St Louis is the NFL.

And I agree football in a warehouse sucks.

It's posts like this that get every source of new information on this topic blocked. I could carve you up like a butcher does to a fat cow right now but will refrain because I do not want this blocked for as long as possible.

All have to say is we get it, there's several that share your opinion , so please join them on Rams Talk. This NOT a speculation of relocation thread. We don't do that here. This is a "RAMS NEW STADIUM NEWS" thread. Huge difference! Figure it out or :gtfo:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Nope, not the same news as the last few months. One of the main things to come out of this is the fact that the NFL is not allowing ANY team to move to L.A. in 2015. The fact that Peacock met with Grubman and Goodell and have received positive feedback for their plans thus far isn't the same news that was reported months ago.

I dunno, seems like the same old stuff to me. "We're working on a plan, we'll show you later, we want to keep them here" pretty standard stuff.

As for the LA bit, its pretty well known there's not even a plan for a stadium there, of course there's not going to be a team there next year. However if the article is true that he reached out to San Diego, Oakland and St Louis personally, then that would indicate all three teams are very strongly considering it.

But at this point it's all nothing. Stan met with the mayor of Inglewood last month, doesn't mean anything. None of this means anything, LA makes these articles all the time showing they have movement for a stadium and are closer than ever. The only difference is those threads aren't allowed here.

I'm not saying they are or aren't going to move or they should or shouldn't, I'm just saying they aren't telling us anything new. Personally I think it's a bit of a disservice to totally ignore evidence to the contrary, but to each their own. I just wouldn't get my panties in a bunch over a stadium proposal. We already saw one, and LA has come up with like 3 or 4/ that are viable. Doesn't mean much yet.

Walter

Rookie
Downtown would receive an incredible makeover with a new stadium, new bridge and the Arch project. This will be great for the Rams and the city. Can't wait to see the design.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm curious to see the proposal. The stadium being publicly owned is interesting and probably something Kronke is not going to like.

FRO

Legend
It's posts like this that get every source of new information on this topic blocked. I could carve you up like a butcher does to a fat cow right now but will refrain because I do not want this blocked for as long as possible.

All have to say is we get it, there's several that share your opinion , so please join them on Rams Talk. This NOT a speculation of relocation thread. We don't do that here. This is a "RAMS NEW STADIUM NEWS" thread. Huge difference! Figure it out or :gtfo:
Dude calm down. I'm a St Louis native and a season ticket holder. My opinion is I want the Rams to stay in St. Louis. I'm excited about the new stadium proposal. I don't think the dome is a good venue. I'm torn on the open air stadium concept because I'm a pansy when it comes to cold weather, but so are the blue bloods who scream for everybody to sit down.

I think however there are concerns about Stan not going for a stadium he doesn't own and control. There have been reports of him wanting to move to LA. Are they accurate? I don't know, a lot of what gets reported is inaccurate. I don't know who to trust or believe when it comes to the media. So in my prior post that was the concern I was sharing. You should show posters a little more respect than what you showed me. This isn't Ramstalk. We have quality posters on here. You jumped the gun on me.

FRO

Legend
I'm curious to see the proposal. The stadium being publicly owned is interesting and probably something Kronke is not going to like.
That was a point I was making. That being said the article mentions the governor wanting this to be a stadium/land development project. Kronke develops land. So essentially they could cut a deal with him giving him the land to develop around the stadium. Who knows?

Rest assure there will be answers in early 2015. I doubt the organization is willing to risk low sales throughout the entire 2015 season due to the "what ifs." An open-air stadium with the Arch in view would be pretty sweet. I know it's not California weather, but it's about time the Rams become an outside team again. Every year I go see the Rams play the 49ers in the Bay and I have to say.....Levi stadium is the sh**.

FRO

Legend
The best thing about a new stadium will be no more red seats.

Open air or retractable roof? I vote retractable roof , but I think they go with open air.

Status
Not open for further replies.