Gordo's Tipsheet: Rams draft got Grade A results

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Tipsheet: Rams draft got Grade A results
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_b4f095d2-2217-5628-af20-db43f533e3ca.html

The Rams organization committed to rebuilding through the draft. After locking in core veterans to long-term deals, Jeff Fisher, Les Snead and Co. didn’t have a lot of money for free agency.

Instead, the team sought to continue building with youth while exploiting the extra picks gained in the Robert Griffin III trade. Fisher stuck with his emphasis on improving his team’s basic blocking and tackling skills.

Not every expert agrees with this approach. Some have been campaigning for the team to give up on quarterback Sam Bradford and/or fire offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

But Fisher and Snead stayed the course heading into Year 3 of their rebuild — earning universally high marks for their 2014 draft haul.

Here is what some of the experts were writing about the Rams:

Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN: “I've been saying this roster was going to be loaded, and it's really there. Les Snead and Co. just keep piling up talent. The draft only dips for two small reasons, but I'll get to those later. Starting at the top, Greg Robinson brings that rare potential to be a star offensive tackle. Yeah, it's projection. But Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden -- these are the names that get mentioned by really smart football people. Robinson doesn't have to start at tackle, more likely left guard, which will aid his development. Aaron Donald isn't the same type of player as Sheldon Richardson, but could be the Richardson of 2013. By that I mean the breakout rookie, taken in the same range, and plugged into a situation that was already considered a strength. Richardson blew up on a solid Jets D-line; Donald can do the same here. The kid is a stud, and the this line is terrifying. Yes, the Rams needed a corner, and not only does the certainty of pressure make the secondary better, they got a versatile talent in Lamarcus Joyner. He's undersized, but he's that hybrid in the secondary, a slot safety type who is on the field all the time. Tre Mason is solid depth at RB, and Maurice Alexander has starting potential. Garrett Gilbert isn't a player I'd consider a challenger at QB, but there's upside, and they needed the depth. E.J. Gaines adds depth at corner. While there isn't much of an immediate need for Michael Sam along the defensive line, he gives them depth in the pass rush and is a high-effort player with a chance to contribute despite average athleticism. I agree with Jeff Fisher that he's a good value late in Round 7. The Rams get dinged a little because I think they should have taken at least one WR in a draft loaded with them, and the fact that they still have a question at QB -- after all, this draft haul is tied to the fact that they opted not to draft Robert Griffin III. They have a ton of talent, but the QB question lingers.”

Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com: “General manager Les Snead killed the draft. He was loaded with extra picks the past two years, but hit on a bunch. I mentioned his first two as picks I liked, but I also liked second-round corner Lamarcus Joyner. Grade: A-plus”

Rob Rang, SportsXChange: “With two of the first 13 picks, the Rams were in an ideal position to boost their roster. GM Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher took full advantage, adding mauling run blocker Greg Robinson to significantly upgrade their physicality on the offensive line and making a very good defensive line the league's best with the addition of defensive tackle Aaron Donald to complement star Robert Quinn, rising talent Michael Brockers and steady veteran Chris Long. Snead filled arguably the team's biggest need with their next selection, nabbing a Honey Badger-like weapon in versatile defensive back Lamarcus Joyner in the second round. The addition of Tre Mason - a back some graded as the best in the class - in the third round gives the team better big play possibilities than incumbent starter Zac Stacy, a quality back in his own right. The Rams added several intriguing prospects to their secondary on Day Three of the draft, as well as Michael Sam, the co-SEC Defensive Player of the Year and the first openly gay player to get drafted into the NFL. Sam (the 249th player selected overall) is no guarantee to make the roster but given the talent on this defensive line, he'll get one-on-one opportunities off the edge and possesses the burst, strength and motor to endear him to coaches and fans, alike. Grade: A”

Doug Farrar, SI.com: “Obviously, the seventh-round pick of Missouri defensive end Michael Sam will get all the press, but realistically, Sam is little more than a backup for Chris Long. At the top of their draft, St. Louis scored two immense hits with the additions of Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson and Pitt defensive tackle Aaron Donald. Both were seen by many to be the best players at their positions, and any time you can do that twice, it’s a big deal. The Rams also took running back Tre Mason, who gained 6.5 yards per carry running behind Robinson last year, and Missouri cornerback E.J. Gaines was a nice get in the sixth round. The only possible knock on this draft is that Florida State cornerback LaMarcus Joyner doesn’t really look like a second-round talent, but with the first round St. Louis had, we’re splitting hairs. Grade: A- minus”

Eric Edholm, Yahoo! Sports: “There’s just little not to love. The Rams could have gotten cute and traded up and down all over the draft, but they mostly stayed put and loaded up the roster with quality players. They are more talented in the run game and better defensively. Have to buck up in the salty NFC West. The Rams did just that. Auburn OG Greg Robinson . . . Could be an all-pro at guard or tackle and we love the fact he is only now starting to realize his immense talent. The Rams want to be more of a power run team and Robinson is exactly what they need. Grade: A

Here are some other reactions:

Bryan Fischer, NFL.com: “Perhaps the champs of the first two days of the draft, St. Louis found some nice finds on Day 3. Alexander can get lost in coverage at times but is explosive. Gaines limited Mike Evans and has potential. There will be plenty of discussion about the pick of Sam, but on top of being historic, it gives the team another pass-rush threat for an already dangerous front seven.”

Mike Tanier, Sports on Earth: The Rams and Cardinals also gained on the 49ers, and by extension the Seahawks. The Rams kicked things off by drafting Greg Robinson, who plays with the force and subtlety of a semi with a snapped brake line, followed by defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who is as wide as he is tall and as ornery as he is wide. Running back Tre Mason is also squat and as tough as differential calculus. He carried the ball 5,000 times at Auburn -- 317 in 2013, actually -- making him perfect for coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s master plan to reintroduce 1986 tactics to the NFL.Because some downfield passing is bound to happen against even the best defensive line -- opposing quarterbacks can take the snap and treat the football like a live grenade, for example -- the Rams added cornerback Lamarcus Joyner. Joyner is built like a G.I. Joe action figure but strikes like an elite task force. Donald, Mason and Joyner illustrate that short and mean has replaced tall and mean in St. Louis. The Rams may not score many points this season, even with Robinson and Mason aerating the middle of the field, but they won't allow many either. Out-of-division opponents will suffer lots of 27-6 losses, while divisional games will devolve into 0-0 soccer draws. But then, that has been the case for two years.”

Todd McShay, ESPN.com: “The Rams' first four picks of tackle Greg Robinson (No. 2 overall pick), defensive tackle Aaron Donald (No. 13), cornerback Lamarcus Joynet (No. 41) and running back Tre Mason (No. 75) really stood out. All four ranked in the top 61 of our prospect rankings, and all four have the potential to contribute as rookies. Robinson should be a Day 1 starter at right tackle or left guard, Donald figures to make an impact as an interior pass-rusher (even if it's just in a rotation to start) and Joyner joins a secondary that could use some improvement. Mason will likely serve as the second back in a two-back rotation with Zac Stacy. The Rams put together a really good class and should begin reaping the benefits during the 2014 season.”

MEGAPHONE

"Frustration is a natural part of it. I think that's what was felt and heard when that announcement was made. I don't fault the fans for their reaction. I don't fault anyone for being disappointed. To that end, our job (is to make that) less painful. It's no different than if a player was going out during the offseason and broke an ankle or tore an ACL playing pickup hoops or doing something different. We have to build a football team that can win regardless of who's missing."

Cleveland Browns GM Ray Farmer, on the loss of receiver Josh Gordon to NFL suspension and the failure to draft a replacement.