Gordo's Tipsheet: Experts love Rams' picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Tipsheet: Experts love Rams' picks
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_2b5ef067-71d1-5900-a97d-8d7920fa5c7c.html

Day 1 of the NFL Draft was pretty dull out at Rams Park.

Jeff Fisher and Les Snead did not trade out of their No. 2 overall pick to collect additional picks. They did not trade up or down from No. 13 overall.

They passed on Johnny Manziel twice after failing to bait another team into trading up to select him.

They were ready to move up from the second round to get a third first-round pick, but that opportunity didn't quite arise.

So the Rams settled for adding one blocker and one tackler to their front lines. The selection of tackle/guard Greg Robinson at No. 2 and defensive tackle Aaron Donald at No. 13 drew solid reviews from national observers.

Here is a sampling:

Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.com: "I had wide receiver as a need for the Rams, but it's also the deepest position in the draft, and they added two potential Pro Bowl players with their two picks. Robinson needs work as a pass protector, because he's far more dominating as a run blocker and, as colleague Jon Gruden noted, can grab too often, but he's a freak athlete with a sharp learning curve. He can be very good, and helps Sam Bradford potentially as much as a very good wide receiver. Donald helps make that D-line scary. I mean, think about how dominating Robert Quinn was last year, then factor in Chris Long, and the emerging Michael Brockers. Yikes. I think the secondary could have used a little help, but it actually gets help in the form of more pressure. Donald is bordering on a steal at No. 13."

Nate Davis, USA Today: "Little surprise they snared the draft's best tackle, Greg Robinson. But landing the top defensive tackle, Aaron Donald, was a somewhat unexpected bonus. Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick can't be thrilled, but convalescing Rams QB Sam Bradford sure is."

Gregg Rosenthal, NFL.com: "The Rams were lying behind the scenes about Johnny Manziel all along. It doesn't matter how much they liked Aaron Donald — we like him too — they would have taken Manziel at No. 13 if they truly had any interest. St. Louis had a lot of media folks believing they were in on Manziel, but it was a smokescreen all along. They passed on him twice. And no one wanted Manziel enough near the top of the draft to give up much for him. With that said, we love what the Rams did. Greg Robinson can transform their running game. Donald gives the Rams a ridiculous defensive line with Robert Quinn, Chris Long, Michael Brockers and Donald. The NFC West is scary. Sam Bradford is getting at least one more real chance to prove why he was a No. 1 pick."

Don Banks, SI.com: "The Rams' already scary-good defensive line just got scarier. And better. Pitt defensive tackle Aaron Donald was the draft's most coveted defensive tackle and a player who had a breakout draft season starting with a superb week at the Senior Bowl. He's an athletic and penetrating playmaker who gives the Rams yet another weapon on a defensive line that already includes stud defensive ends Robert Quinn and Chris Long, as well as an emerging defensive tackle in Michael Brockers. All four of the presumed defensive line starters in St. Louis are now first-round picks, and it appears the Rams have decided their best path to compete in the rugged NFC West is by building a dominant defensive front. The slightly undersized Donald was the NCAA leader in tackles for loss (28.5) last season, with 11 sacks, four forced fumbles and three passes defensed. I still think the Rams need to score more and find ways to match the likes of Seattle, San Francisco and Arizona in terms of offensive playmakers, and I would have gone for Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins at No. 2 rather than Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson. But there are different ways to skin the cat in the NFL these days, and Jeff Fisher, with his longtime ties on the defensive side of the ball, has made his choice."

Mike Tanier, Sports on Earth: "Donald gives the Rams the NFL's best front four, though they may have already had that. So either Robinson and all of those young skill-position players finally combine to stop the Rams from listing sideways on offense, or all of their games will be preempted to broadcast the film All Quiet on the Western Front, which features less trench warfare attrition."

Frank Schwab, Yahoo! Sports: "The 49ers, Seahawks and Cardinals better take a moment before Friday's second round starts to make sure they have a plan to fix any offensive line issues. Because the Rams' front seven is coming. St. Louis might have the best defensive line in the league after Thursday night. Robert Quinn and Chris Long are two dangerous ends. Michael Brockers is a space-eating tackle. And the Rams added Pitt defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who should provide a great interior pass rush against single blocking. All four of the Rams' starting linemen were drafted in the top half of the first round. Good luck blocking them all."

Doug Farrar, SI.com: "The Rams have gone a long way to truly establishing themselves as a power team — and a potential NFL powerhouse — with this (Robinson) pick. Taking him this high indicates a left tackle spot, but I believe that he could very well be the best guard in the NFL over time – he has the build, the attitude and the ridiculous functional strength to dominate in short areas. And he could be taught to pull as most guards must — with his short-area lateral movement skills, he could be truly special. As a pure left tackle … well, there’s work to be done. Robinson has a rare group of athletic talents, but there’s more to that when it comes to blind-side pass protection. As a right tackle, taking on bigger ends and personifying a more physical, aggressive approach, he could be equally dominant. No matter. The Rams totally aced this pick."

Will Brinson, CBSSports.com: "And the haul for the Robert Griffin III trade is complete. Man is it good too. I mean, like, really good. Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Isaiah Pead, Rokevious Watkins, Alec Ogletree, Stedman Bailey, Zac Stacy and Greg Robinson ended up being the players nabbed by Les Snead and Jeff Fisher, understanding they did lots of maneuvering in order to land those players. Robinson is a mammoth road grader who's going to turn Zac Stacy into a fantasy favorite. And Aaron Donald almost feels like an excess pick, but that means Robert Quinn, Brockers, Donald and Chris Long are going to destroy people. Terrifying defensive line."

REJECTING JOHNNY FOOTBALL

When push came to shove, NFL GMs couldn't bear to gamble on the whole Johnny Manziel thing. The Cleveland Browns finally traded up to the 22nd pick to grab the charismatic Texas A&M star and thrill their fan base.

ESPN.com columnist Ashley Fox had this take:

No one wanted Johnny Football. He dropped and dropped and dropped, experiencing the type of public free fall on draft night that only a select few, including Aaron Rodgers, have experienced. He wasn't the first quarterback taken. Heck, he wasn't even the first or second player from Texas A&M taken. That honor belonged to tackle Jake Mathews, who went sixth to the Atlanta Falcons, and wide receiver Mike Evans, who went one pick later to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

But a funny thing happened. This probably was the best thing for Johnny Football. Hopefully, Johnny Football stayed in the green room at Radio City Music Hall on Thursday night. Hopefully, Johnny Manziel emerged humbled, hungry and, as Rodgers did all those years ago, dedicated to prove to every team that passed on him -- and, ultimately, 19 did -- that they made a horrible decision.

The Browns and their long-suffering fans deserve as much.

MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE

Questions to ponder while wondering if the reclamation of Kenny Britt will help Rams fans cope with the absence of Sammy Watkins:

How does Manziel really feel about going to Cleveland?

Who convinced Browns ownership to take the Johnny Football plunge?

What was he drinking in the green room?

MEGAPHONE

"I think I have a lot to prove to people. That's what I'm looking forward to, proving a lot of people wrong. I'm just ready to get down and get going with the Houston Texans."

Pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney, after going first overall to the Texans.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
"Donald gives the Rams the NFL's best front four, though they may have already had that."

This is actually a pretty sobering point to ponder... WITHOUT Donald, the Rams may have already had the best Front Four.

AND even if the unthinkable happened, and we had Quinn, Long, Brockers and Donald all injured... the Rams line still might be better than some.

If we can shore up our secondary, then no one's going to be able to say we have talent issues on D.

Speed

UDFA
"Donald gives the Rams the NFL's best front four, though they may have already had that."

This is actually a pretty sobering point to ponder... WITHOUT Donald, the Rams may have already had the best Front Four.

AND even if the unthinkable happened, and we had Quinn, Long, Brockers and Donald all injured... the Rams line still might be better than some.

If we can shore up our secondary, then no one's going to be able to say we have talent issues on D.
yes they have tremendous depth... listen I don't think I would have preferred either Robinson or Donald... but I'm not crying foul or anything. There is more than one way to skin a cat. The Rams defensive front is sick

Memphis Ram

Legend
Some of those praises are probably going to die out if the Rams don't address the positions those writers want them to address with these other selections.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Mike Tanier, Sports on Earth: "Donald gives the Rams the NFL's best front four, though they may have already had that. So either Robinson and all of those young skill-position players finally combine to stop the Rams from listing sideways on offense, or all of their games will be preempted to broadcast the film All Quiet on the Western Front, which features less trench warfare attrition."

Perfect.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Day 1 of the NFL Draft was pretty dull out at Rams Park.
WTF? The only way our local media has anything positive to say about this team is by quoting the national media.

Who here thinks yesterday was "dull"?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
WTF? The only way our local media has anything positive to say about this team is by quoting the national media.

I think they mean because there were no wow trades. Wasn't dull for me - I can guarantee you.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I think they mean because there were no wow trades. Wasn't dull for me - I can guarantee you.
I think my bigger point is that no matter WTF the Rams did yesterday the local media would have found a way to be mediocre in response. ROD is just some much happier of a place.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick

lol exactly what I said it when I read it to Stranger.