Gordon's Tipsheet: Making the case for Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Tipsheet: Making the case for Sammy Watkins
By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_d8c63c1b-88df-5e4f-93a0-e650d6f49862.html

NFL Draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. agrees with many offense-starved Rams fans.

He believes this team should draft playmaking Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins with the second overall pick, putting off an offensive tackle play until later in the draft.

He nominated Virginia’s Morgan Moses in the second round. Kiper also recommended Florida State linebacker Christian Jones for the third round.

Here is what he wrote for ESPN.com:

I actually have a few players rated slightly higher than Watkins on my Big Board, but I'm looking at this roster as the GM. I think I have one season to find out if Sam Bradford is my quarterback for the long haul, so I need to give my coach the best chance to score more points and win football games. Ultimately, I decide to draft the guy I think can make plays and upgrade my offense immediately. And really, Watkins isn't much of a leap in terms of value. The extra first-round pick gives me the courage to take the high-upside offensive talent at No. 2. (Ha Ha) Clinton-Dix is a no-brainer given the need at safety with the top three OTs gone at No. 13, and then I get the tackle I need in Round 2. Moses isn't a left tackle, but he can play as a rookie if needed, and I need help on the right side. I'm pretty happy with two of my linebackers -- James Laurinaitis and the raw but talented Alec Ogletree -- but add some versatility and potentially a rookie starter in Jones. You hope Bradford is good, because this roster sure is.

This is not an impossible scenario. Increasingly, NFL experts see the Houston Texas taking aspiring sackmaster Jadeveon Clowney with the first overall pick.

That would render the No. 2 overall pick less attractive for a trade-up. If the Rams had to use the pick, Jeff Fisher and Les Snead could obviously grab one of the top offensive tackles.

As Jim Thomas notes, the Rams seem to favor Jake Matthews over Greg Robinson – an intriguing athlete that needs more developmental time. Matthews appears more prepared to play right away.

But would Matthews really be worth the second overall pick? Or would adding Watkins do more to change the team?

The Rams already added big receiver Kenny Britt in free agency. The team really likes 2013 picks Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey. Chris Givens still offers explosive speed. And the front office has maintained its public support for perpetual prospect Brian Quick, who is still learning how to do more besides run blocking.

Should the Rams draft Watkins, the team would concede defeat on Quick. Then again, sometimes leaders must swallow some pride to put the best possible team on the field.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Now I know I don't want this pick to go Watkins, but TBH I didn't before but when he said Quick would go if we drafted Watkins and NOT Pettis I sort of think he's not in tune with the pecking order,Britt comes in on the LIFO plan and Pettis on the FIFO plan.