Gordon: Walton Serves As Rams Fall Guy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 6ec40.html

Tim Walton is a classic sports scapegoat.

He became the Rams' defensive coordinator last year only after Jeff Fisher’s preferred hiring candidate, Rob Ryan, skipped town after attending a few staff meetings.

Ryan believes in the 3-4 defensive scheme. Fisher is a 4-3 guy. And make no mistake, the Rams run the Jeff Fisher Defense.

So Ryan bolted to New Orleans to run his own program for the Saints. His exit left Fisher scrambling for a replacement. The pool of candidates was not deep.

This gave Walton an opportunity to step up from his previous role as Detroit Lions secondary coach.

He came highly recommended by Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz, who served under Fisher with the Tennessee Titans. But Walton faced a steep learning curve.

The Rams suffered a rocky defensive start under before rallying in the second half of the season. The improvement came after Walton moved from the field to the coaching box and Fisher assumed an even bigger role with the defensive side of the team.

(Did Fisher actually take over the defensive play-calling? The Rams downplayed that media report, but clearly Fisher became more assertive with the unit.)

Naturally fans demanded Walton’s firing in our live chats on STLToday.com. From the moderator’s chair, I always noted that the Rams ran the Jeff Fisher Defense with players Fisher selected for the roster.

Fisher oversaw the defensive game-planning, too, as well as the in-game adjustments with the Jeff Fisher Defense.

So how much of last year’s slippage could you really put on Walton? And how many coordinators would Fisher go through before making the Jeff Fisher Defense work to full capacity?

Walton’s primary problems came in the secondary, which had been his area of expertise. His zone defenses featured soft cushions, allowing the Carson Palmers of the world to play pitch-and-catch for hours at a time against the Rams.

But personnel issues handcuffed Walton. Cornerback Cortland Finnegan might be Fisher’s favorite player in the whole world, but the man lost a couple of steps last season.

Finnegan couldn’t keep within arm's reach of his guy in man-to-man coverage. Before shutting down for the season with an eye injury, he spent most of his time playing futile games of tag.

Second-year cornerback Janoris Jenkins struggled mightily. He kept gambling and losing in man-to-man coverage, biting on pump fake after pump fake.

He quit making big plays, so his risk-reward ratio went haywire. Jenkins proved much better at talking trash and earning penalties than actually covering people.

Cornerback Trumaine Johnson showed promise but he, too, was penalty prone. Poor Brandon McGee tried to learn his craft while playing through injuries, with generally dismal results.

Rookie T.J. McDonald suffered a broken leg, making a suspect safety corps even worse. Rodney McLeod could have been a fine handyman for the secondary, but he wasn’t a great starting free safety.

Given all of that, could you really blame Walton for playing it safe with his coverage? Here is what Post-Dispatch Rams reporter Jim Thomas wrote back in December:

You can debate whether the Rams have the right players on the back end — and it’s clear it’s the weakest position overall on the roster. But it’s also a case of the Rams being simply too young in the secondary to compete effectively on a week in, week out basis.

A suspect secondary has a domino effect on the rest of the defense. It lessens a unit’s ability to blitz and change up looks.

Now Gregg Williams is back at Rams Park as the new/old defensive coordinator, fully rehabilitated from his year-long "Bountygate" suspension and a season on the Tennessee Titans staff.

The coaching staff got a lot better with his return. Now the front office has to get to work on the roster.

The Rams better give Williams an upgraded secondary and the opportunity to unleash his front seven. Why bring him back if he can't do his thing?

After 7-8-1 and 7-9 seasons, the Rams musts reap the benefits of an extending rebuilding process. One more NFL Draft bonanza should give them the personnel needed to take that step.

It's time to win some games. The Rams are running out of excuses and scapegoats.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sometimes, when you keep tripping, you fall....all by yourself.

RamsFan14

Starter
I do feel kind of bad for the guy, but I don't believe it was the right fit. He barely got a year, and he wasn't able to show if he could improve or not. Kinda sad, but I think this move might be the best for the Rams. If Greg Williams was Fishers number 1 choice (well 2 years ago he was right?!?!) then I think this was the best decision for the team. Fisher knows defense, if he gets someone he really likes and knows, then you'd think we'd be able to maximize our ability to succeed on defense since these two have very very similar philosophies. Hopefully Walton gets a chance somewhere else soon, it's unfortunate he didn't have a chance to rebound. But it is what it is, I am excited to see what Greg Williams can do! If we all thought our defense was aggressive and in your face... Oh boy, think Williams is going to take that to a new level!

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do feel kind of bad for the guy, but I don't believe it was the right fit. He barely got a year, and he wasn't able to show if he could improve or not. Kinda sad, but I think this move might be the best for the Rams. If Greg Williams was Fishers number 1 choice (well 2 years ago he was right?!?!) then I think this was the best decision for the team. Fisher knows defense, if he gets someone he really likes and knows, then you'd think we'd be able to maximize our ability to succeed on defense since these two have very very similar philosophies. Hopefully Walton gets a chance somewhere else soon, it's unfortunate he didn't have a chance to rebound. But it is what it is, I am excited to see what Greg Williams can do! If we all thought our defense was aggressive and in your face... Oh boy, think Williams is going to take that to a new level!

I wonder if Schwartz will pick him up?

RamsFan14

Starter
I wonder if Schwartz will pick him up?

Good question, guess we'll see how valuable Walton is to Schwartz. Just didn't make much sense, Walton was the secondary coach in Detroit back a few years ago... Didn't they have a bad secondary?!?!?! That's what surprised me about the hire, I didn't think it made too much sense at the time.

I am kinda surprising that we didn't go after Schwartz, but then again Schwartz could be a head coaching candidate again down the line I guess. Overall I'm excited for Williams, think he fits the team much more so then Walton (based on the games he coordinated this year).

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Very wrong. Williams was part of the original plan by Fisher. Williams was and Fisher were detoured by the suspension of Williams and Fisher feels it's best to continue/finish what he started. Williams proved he is capable of running a stingy, tough, defense that Walton never even flashed through over half a season. Remember that sound bite of Fisher confronting Walton with "I know it' hard, Tim." I think Walton was the one making excuses at some point. It just wasn't his strength for whatever reason. Going back to Williams was a wise decision.

On top of everything, Fisher doesn't need a scapegoat. The injury to Bradford is more than enough to justify our record. This division is brutal, try getting to 10 wins with Clemens. It wasn't going to happen....

laramsoriginal

Starter
I hope the rams draft a CB with one of the first round picks. Tru and jenkins are not good starting cb's for a team dreaming of winning the toughest division in football

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams finished at the bottom of the division. This firing/hiring is pro-active. Nothing else.
Garbage article.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sometimes, when you keep tripping, you fall....all by yourself.

This. Tim Walton took Tyler Perry's play title to heart..."I can do bad all by myself".

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Frankly, it's just disappointing that sports writers think that this sort of TMZ style sensationalism is acceptable writing. He could have taken the time to breakdown Williams's scheme, talk to former players, compare the new scheme to Walton's, show pictures of Williams's favorite groupings/blitzes...but instead, we got a speculative article about nothing. Could be worse, I guess, could have written an article last week about how the Rams need to hire Walton before writing this one(cough Bernie cough).

Still, just sad how bad sports "journalism" has gotten. If you pay me good money just to write about sports, you better bet I'd make the attempt to talk football and try to provide unique football insight to Rams fans out there rather than report on gossip and non-sense.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
He's serves as a scapegoat for who? The fans, or the Rams?

First he says the fans were the ones blaming Walton for the defense. Then he switches to talking about the Rams and finishes with the statement that they're running out of excuses.

Also, he at first says that the Rams were running Jeff Fishers defense, and hints that Fisher was calling the plays himself. Then says you can't blame Walton for the play calling, because he was making up for Fishers poorly assembled roster. So who are we to believe is responsible for the play calling?

The article is pretty contradictory and confusing. Regardless, I would imagine the Rams are trying to make their team better in anyway possible every offseason. They hired one of the most experienced coaches in the league, someone who also already has an existing relationship with the coaching staff. I would think that should be considered a reasonable upgrade over Walton. Despite the "challenges" he faced last year.

He can continue to make contradicting excuses for a first year coordinator taking over a defense that lead the league in sacks last year, and I'll continue to make "excuses" for the Rams here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Frankly, it's just disappointing that sports writers think that this sort of TMZ style sensationalism is acceptable writing. He could have taken the time to breakdown Williams's scheme, talk to former players, compare the new scheme to Walton's, show pictures of Williams's favorite groupings/blitzes...but instead, we got a speculative article about nothing. Could be worse, I guess, could have written an article last week about how the Rams need to hire Walton before writing this one(cough Bernie cough).

Still, just sad how bad sports "journalism" has gotten. If you pay me good money just to write about sports, you better bet I'd make the attempt to talk football and try to provide unique football insight to Rams fans out there rather than report on gossip and non-sense.

He should consider going back to his day job of moderating one of the greatest forums in the history of the internet. One that shines a great light on the city of St. Louis. We're all so proud.

What was the last positive article that rag wrote about their home town team? I think I remember one at some point, but then again I do have a very vivid imagination.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I read this article last night and decided not to post it, frankly I'm tired of the PD writers as a whole .

I'm not a Williams aficionado,I think he's good and all, but what Fisher did was what every smart and successful coach does,he decides if his charges. players and coaches, are doing their job to the standards needed and then retains or lets them go.

Bountygate ,and only that, is responsible for our revolving door at DC Fisher had a vision of what he wanted from our DC ,Williams was the guy he thought would best deliver it,he didn't stop until he got the guy he wanted.
We could speculate as to why Fisher waited to rehire Williams ,I think he wanted to let the heat die down. I think it's pretty clear that Schwartz is a young guy who will get another HC chance and soon so him staying long term is IMO doubtful ,Fisher is just showing consistency hiring Williams a second time especially since him not being here wasn't a result of anything that happened here.
I am farts and giggles, not over Williams himself ,but over that he is who Fisher wanted from the start BECAUSE as Fisher stated Williams will do it in a way that Fisher won't need to focus his time on the play calling which is what he hired Walton to do,Fisher will be free to do his own job.

I wonder how long any of the PD writers think they would keep their job if the papers editor was having to write their columns ,Walton was fired because Fisher felt the need to do Waltons job as per the writer, JEZUS what dolt can't figure that out?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hard to believe that Kevin D had harsh words about the PD when speaking to the season ticket holders last week.

LOL

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fall guy? Hardly. Williams has always been the coordinator. Fisher just needed someone to fill his shoes until his suspension was over. Ryan would have been fired too if he was the DC. Regardless of what the results had been.

Williams was a Consultant in Tennessee. He was never going to stay there either.

It's all very clear to me now.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Fall guy? Hardly. Williams has always been the coordinator. Fisher just needed someone to fill his shoes until his suspension was over. Ryan would have been fired too if he was the DC. Regardless of what the results had been.

Williams was a Consultant in Tennessee. He was never going to stay there either.

It's all very clear to me now.

Yeah ,I see merit in that and it COULD BE Ryan got the message he was gonna be a stop gap and decided to seek more permanent employment