Gordon says smoke was second-hand

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WvuIN02

Starter
It's really not ridiculous at all. There's a set program with set punishments for the failing of drug tests. It's not negotiable. It's not a choice. It's set and concrete. The suspensions given to players for actions off the field are at the discretion of the league. It isn't set and it is judgement.

Gordon has been suspended for the year because he has gotten himself to the 3rd level of the league's drug policy through his idiocy. I'm sure if Ray Rice had already knocked his fiance out twice and been arrested for it prior to this, he'd be serving a year long suspension too.

Just because there is a "set program with set punishments" doesn't mean that they are infallible, or shouldn't be subject to scrutiny. Which was the point.

You trying to compare Ray Rice's domestic violence to Gordon's marijuana use is laughable. If Ray Rice had done this more than once he should be banned from the NFL, not just serving a year long sentence.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure why you guys are laughing about this. In my youth I shared many a toke with my girlfriend of the time. Take a drag, exhale into your girlfriend's mouth while you're kissing her. Lots of good memories there. You're lying if you tell me you haven't done it. :ROFLMAO: If you haven't done it you should try it. Waste not want not.

Now that's second hand smoke! :banana: :seizure: I'd acquit him with no regrets. :rockon:

Hahaha, that's whats up!

I wont lie, I've done it plenty.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm not sure why you guys are laughing about this. In my youth I shared many a toke with my girlfriend of the time. Take a drag, exhale into your girlfriend's mouth while you're kissing her. Lots of good memories there. You're lying if you tell me you haven't done it. :ROFLMAO: If you haven't done it you should try it. Waste not want not.

Now that's second hand smoke! :banana: :seizure: I'd acquit him with no regrets. :rockon:

I'd love to be the prosecuting attorney in a case where the defendant claims this as second-hand smoke, lol.

xcp5cx.jpg

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard

Yo Smokie, puff puff pass! You're killing the rotation! haha

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Prime Time forgetting a prime ingredient:
I'd love to be the prosecuting attorney in a case where the defendant claims this as second-hand smoke, lol.
It's all in the jury selection my man. ;) :LOL:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just because there is a "set program with set punishments" doesn't mean that they are infallible, or shouldn't be subject to scrutiny. Which was the point.

You trying to compare Ray Rice's domestic violence to Gordon's marijuana use is laughable. If Ray Rice had done this more than once he should be banned from the NFL, not just serving a year long sentence.

I think the odd part is that you are arguing for less stringent marijuana punishments for habitual offenders rather than more stringent punishments for violators of the conduct code.

Rather than Gordon being punished less, Rice should be punished more.

But regardless of that, Rice likely wasn't punished more based on a couple of factors...mainly being that there was probably precedent for the two games suspension and Rice not being convicted of the crime.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Just legalize it already. It's less dangerous than drinking.

I don't smoke weed. Nor do I care if anyone else does.

WvuIN02

Starter
I think the odd part is that you are arguing for less stringent marijuana punishments for habitual offenders rather than more stringent punishments for violators of the conduct code.

Rather than Gordon being punished less, Rice should be punished more.

But regardless of that, Rice likely wasn't punished more based on a couple of factors...mainly being that there was probably precedent for the two games suspension and Rice not being convicted of the crime.

Why would it be odd? The NFLPA has marijuana use and the punishments stemming from the policy concerning it as one of the major things they want changed. It's not just in the NFL, marijuana use is pervasive everywhere I have lived. From West Virginia, to Atlanta, to now in Orlando, Florida. I don't see it as any more harmful than alcohol (which is far worse imo and a huge component of violent crime....including DA), and laws are become more and more relaxed about it every day in this country. That said, those are personal beliefs of mine.

However, more than anything, the conduct policy is receiving serious backlash around the country because it isn't consistent. And if we're talking about not being convicted of anything.....then what about Ben Roethlisberger? After the evidence came out, it was pretty apparent he was targeted by girls seeking paychecks (from the first crazy woman to the girl in Georgia wearing a "DTF" necklace). No evidence of any wrong doing, nothing came back from a rape kit result....and.....6 games, for what? All it takes is gold diggers to make accusations and you get a huge suspension, yet you have video, and admittance from Rice, and a slap on the wrist?

How can Albert Haynseworth stomp on a defenseless football player's head (a huge man in pads, during a game) and get FIVE games when Rice gets two for hitting a defenseless woman so hard he knocks her out? Watch Kieth Olbermann's piece on it, it sums it up very well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would it be odd? The NFLPA has marijuana use and the punishments stemming from the policy concerning it as one of the major things they want changed. It's not just in the NFL, marijuana use is pervasive everywhere I have lived. From West Virginia, to Atlanta, to now in Orlando, Florida. I don't see it as any more harmful than alcohol (which is far worse imo and a huge component of violent crime....including DA), and laws are become more and more relaxed about it every day in this country. That said, those are personal beliefs of mine.

Political beliefs are irrelevant. My political belief is that weed should be fully legalized and taxed in the US. But that doesn't matter because it's not. There's a set program that lays out the rules, the standards, and the punishments when those standards are violated. The players all know about this program. When they choose not to abide by it, they deserve to be punished...just like any other person that has a job and has consequences for a failed drug test.

Gordon has failed multiple drug tests. He got himself kicked out of two different universities for the same issues. He then drove while under the influence. The guy has shown he just doesn't care. He doesn't think the rules apply to him. He's an adult, he made his bed and now he gets to lie in it. I don't know why excuses are being made on his behalf. This isn't a guy that made one stupid mistake. This is a guy that continues to do the same thing and not care about the consequences.

However, more than anything, the conduct policy is receiving serious backlash around the country because it isn't consistent. And if we're talking about not being convicted of anything.....then what about Ben Roethlisberger? After the evidence came out, it was pretty apparent he was targeted by girls seeking paychecks (from the first crazy woman to the girl in Georgia wearing a "DTF" necklace). No evidence of any wrong doing, nothing came back from a rape kit result....and.....6 games, for what? All it takes is gold diggers to make accusations and you get a huge suspension, yet you have video, and admittance from Rice, and a slap on the wrist?

How can Albert Haynseworth stomp on a defenseless football player's head (a huge man in pads, during a game) and get FIVE games when Rice gets two for hitting a defenseless woman so hard he knocks her out? Watch Kieth Olbermann's piece on it, it sums it up very well.

It isn't consistent. But it's hard to create standards for it. Rice's punishment seems lax but frankly, I don't care in the context of this conversation. This isn't about Rice or the conduct policy. This is about Gordon. I agree with you that Rice should have been suspended for longer.

However, there is a set of guidelines and consequences in the NFL's Drug Policy. Gordon knew this and still chose to break it. He has gotten when he deserves.

Just like if I choose to smoke and then fail a drug test at my job, I deserve whatever punishment they have laid out in their drug policy.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Frankly my dear i don't give a damn - I suspect that there's more to the story than we all know, sounds like Gordon was at the last chance saloon and blew it - or rather inhaled it!!