Gordon says smoke was second-hand

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
2gtbw42.jpg

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honest. He just hangs around massive stoners - but he didn't inhale. That would have been out of character for him.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I tried that excuse, Dr. told me I would have to have been locked in a very small room with a lot of pot being smoked for well over 8 hrs in order to have high enough levels to be detected by urine test. According to the Dr that I spoke with it is impossible to ingest enough second hand smoke to even get a positive test result.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This stuff is measured in nano-grams...they allow for the second hand amount, so I'm not sure what that would register as.....but much lower than if it gets in the blood stream through the lungs....He should said he accidentally bit a brownie...and didn't swallow

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
You have to understand he meant from his right hand to his left or his second hand! lol

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
This stuff is measured in nano-grams...they allow for the second hand amount, so I'm not sure what that would register as.....but much lower than if it gets in the blood stream through the lungs....He should said he accidentally bit a brownie...and didn't swallow

I think anything over 7 nano grams/ ml or liter not sure which but there is a big difference between the 2,is considered a positive test and obviously anything less would be negative.

Guess I shoulda read the article. 15 nanograms is a high threshold for a positive result, pre employment drug screens consider 7 a positive, in my experience.

Last edited:

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
"And lastly, Gordon's attorneys also will point out that with their client being subject to over 70 drug tests"

Say what? 70?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I kind of believe him. The levels he was at isn't very much from the little I know and what I've read. Their threshold is REALLY low apparently.

cracengl

Rookie
He watched Bonaroo from a small tent for the entire festival with Ziggy Marley.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I kind of believe him. The levels he was at isn't very much from the little I know and what I've read. Their threshold is REALLY low apparently.

20somethin nanograms/ml= about 15 yrs of heavy daily use followed by 7 days off the pot and a glass of pickle juice every night. The lesson I learned was there is no way to cheat on a drug test using your own urine, and pickle juice is nasty, not even whiskey could help that stuff.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Then the next question to ask is why is an NFL player who's already on the watch list hanging around with people smoking pot?
------------------------------------------
Here's another point of view...

Report: NFL Drug Testing Is Screwed Up And Screwed Josh Gordon
By Barry Petchesky

wwnyjdwvdewfmkf6kan7.jpg

Mike Florio at Pro Football Talk has some very interesting details about Josh Gordon's failed marijuana test that has him facing a full-season suspension. And if it's true, the NFL's drug testing procedure is more messed up than we could have imagined—and Josh Gordon doesn't deserve a suspension.

Gordon's appeal of his 16-game suspension, which is scheduled to be heard on Friday, will reportedly hinge on inconsistencies in measurement of his urine sample, which was split into two containers.Florio:

Urine samples routinely are split into two bottles, the "A" bottle and the "B" bottle. If the "A" bottle generates a positive result, the "B" bottle is tested. Amazingly, the "B" bottle doesn't have to independently show a violation. Instead, the substance abuse policy states that the "'B' bottle Test need only show that the substance, revealed in the 'A' bottle Test, is evident to the 'limits of detection' to confirm the results of the 'A' bottle Test."

For Gordon, the "A" bottle showed a concentration of 16 ng/ml, only one nanogram per milliliter above the limits of 15. The "B" bottle showed a concentration of 13.6 ng/ml — less than the threshold.

To emphasize, Gordon's "A" and "B" bottles came from the same urine sample. The "B" was only tested to confirm that the "A" wasn't tainted or wildly out of bounds—it doesn't matter that the "B" wouldn't have been a violation had it arbitrarily been labeled the "A" bottle, or that there was a sizable discrepancy between the two tested bottles. It's tough shit for Josh Gordon, despite the fact that his urine averaged out to be below allowable limits.

But, this is how the NFL's Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse (the renegotiation of which has more or less been going on for three years) dictates testing should go. It's the same document that mandated Gordon, a repeat offender, be tested every few days.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Gordon landed in Stage III of the program last year as part of a negotiated two-game suspension for the use of cough syrup that contained codeine. Once in Stage III, a player never leaves. And he must pass up to 10 drug tests per month.

According to the source, Gordon has passed at least 70 drug tests.

The NFL's marijuana policy is a retrograde embarrassment. It's not technically on appeal here, in what sounds like a pretty strong case for Josh Gordon, but maybe it should be.

Update: Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Gordon's appeal will also maintain that his drug test was so marginally positive that it could have been the result of second-hand smoke.​

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Then the next question to ask is why is an NFL player who's already on the watch list hanging around with people smoking pot?
------------------------------------------
Here's another point of view...

Report: NFL Drug Testing Is Screwed Up And Screwed Josh Gordon
By Barry Petchesky

wwnyjdwvdewfmkf6kan7.jpg

Mike Florio at Pro Football Talk has some very interesting details about Josh Gordon's failed marijuana test that has him facing a full-season suspension. And if it's true, the NFL's drug testing procedure is more messed up than we could have imagined—and Josh Gordon doesn't deserve a suspension.

Gordon's appeal of his 16-game suspension, which is scheduled to be heard on Friday, will reportedly hinge on inconsistencies in measurement of his urine sample, which was split into two containers.Florio:

Urine samples routinely are split into two bottles, the "A" bottle and the "B" bottle. If the "A" bottle generates a positive result, the "B" bottle is tested. Amazingly, the "B" bottle doesn't have to independently show a violation. Instead, the substance abuse policy states that the "'B' bottle Test need only show that the substance, revealed in the 'A' bottle Test, is evident to the 'limits of detection' to confirm the results of the 'A' bottle Test."

For Gordon, the "A" bottle showed a concentration of 16 ng/ml, only one nanogram per milliliter above the limits of 15. The "B" bottle showed a concentration of 13.6 ng/ml — less than the threshold.

To emphasize, Gordon's "A" and "B" bottles came from the same urine sample. The "B" was only tested to confirm that the "A" wasn't tainted or wildly out of bounds—it doesn't matter that the "B" wouldn't have been a violation had it arbitrarily been labeled the "A" bottle, or that there was a sizable discrepancy between the two tested bottles. It's tough crap for Josh Gordon, despite the fact that his urine averaged out to be below allowable limits.

But, this is how the NFL's Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse (the renegotiation of which has more or less been going on for three years) dictates testing should go. It's the same document that mandated Gordon, a repeat offender, be tested every few days.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Gordon landed in Stage III of the program last year as part of a negotiated two-game suspension for the use of cough syrup that contained codeine. Once in Stage III, a player never leaves. And he must pass up to 10 drug tests per month.

According to the source, Gordon has passed at least 70 drug tests.

The NFL's marijuana policy is a retrograde embarrassment. It's not technically on appeal here, in what sounds like a pretty strong case for Josh Gordon, but maybe it should be.

Update: Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Gordon's appeal will also maintain that his drug test was so marginally positive that it could have been the result of second-hand smoke.​
RdVqeve.jpg

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Did the NFL make Josh Gordon smoke pot? The only sure way to not test positive is to not smoke it, regardless of who administers the test. Josh Gordon can only blame himself, maybe he should man up and go to rehab like Aldon Smith did, seemed to buy him some leniancy from the comish.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I don't understand how two samples from the same specimen could yield two different results. Particularly if the consequences from a certain threshold are "year long suspension" vs "no suspension" and one sample shows above the threshold and one below.

Also, why is there a threshold at all? Does the test detect something that could be found in the body other than drug use?

Also, 70 times? Really? That's nutty.