Gordon: Rams must salvage season, credibility

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gordon: Rams must salvage season, credibility
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...a-964d-e27919055405.html#.VBHA-ugcpT8.twitter

The Rams have 15 weeks to prove this regime is not as hapless as the clown shows that preceded it.

Experts are understandably skeptical. The Rams just opened Year 3 of the Jeff Fisher/Les Snead era by taking a 34-6 beatdown from the Middling, er, Minnesota Vikings on their home field.

ESPN ranked the Rams dead last in its Week 1 power rankings, behind the Browns, Jaguars and Raiders. That designation was richly deserved.

Long shot Austin Davis is working with the first-team offense these days with Sam Bradford eradicated by another knee injury and back-up Shaun Hill hobbled with a quadriceps strain.

Defensive end Chris Long is off for surgical repairs on his ankle. His reign as Iron Man is over.

He hopes to return later this season, but when? His recovery could take eight to 10 weeks.

Given the fierce competition within the NFC West and the Rams' daunting schedule outside the division, there is ample reason for pessimism as the Rams prepared to play at Tampa Bay.

"We’ve got a huge challenge," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said after Wednesday's practice. "We’ve got a similar set of circumstances, although the Bucs made a comeback late and had a chance.

"Nonetheless, both teams lost home openers. As coach (Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith) says down there, they’ve got a lot to improve on, as we do.”

The Rams talked about their team "24-hour rule," requiring them to let go of a loss (or victory) and move on to the next challenge. But that easier said than done after Sunday's meltdown.

"You want to remember how that felt," middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said after Wednesday's practice. "You never want to have that feeling again."

The Rams did make some plays against the Vikings. It's not like they got bullied from start to finish. They did not suffer endless physical abuse and humiliation, as previous Rams teams have done.

But they committed myriad blunders in most game facets, often at most inopportune times. This is a young team, true, but most of the core players have been around for a while.

There was no excuse for much sloppiness, especially at home after months of preparation.

"Everybody continued to make mistakes," said William Hayes, who steps in for Long as the starting left defensive end. "The game wasn't as bad as the score was."

Yeah, well, we've heard that talk before from Scott Linehan and Steve Spagnuolo when they were hopelessly overmatched as head coaches.

Back in the exciting Mike Martz Era, got the "shoot, we'll fix that" line week after week as the Greatest Show on Turf slowly deteriorated. (Alas, stuff did not get fixed.)

If the Rams can't win some games and develop some more good young players, here are some of the questions we could be asking in December:

• Given Bradford's injury history, why didn't the Rams use one of the many good draft picks to draft one of the many high-end young quarterbacks in the 2014 draft?

• Why have the Rams invested so much money in veteran free agents that were either slowing down (Cortland Finnegan) or broking down (Jake Long)?

• Why hasn't Tavon Austin become a big-time offensive weapon like so many of the receivers taken behind him?

• Why have the Rams had more luck drafting running backs late in drafts (Daryl Richardson, Zac Stacy) than in the middle of drafts (Isaiah Pead, Tre Mason)?

• How could this regime go into its third season with so much inexperience in the secondary behind the impressive front seven?

We could go on and on, but you get the point. The Rams will have a shot at winning at Tampa Bay, if they clean up their act.

They should compete against the Dallas Cowboys at home, based on how America's Team looked in Week 1.

The bye could give them an early chance to regroup. But then their schedule turns ugly, putting Fisher and Co. on the spot.

Will the Rams have a powerful running game by then, taking some pressure off of Hill and/or Davis?

Will new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams have the Rams attacking from every angle to break down offenses?

Will the Rams consistently protect the ball, eat clock, avoid penalties and use their special teams to tilt the field against their foes?

We shall see. The journey from losing by four TDs at home to playing stout, mistake-free football against elite competition is long and difficult.

But that is the road awaiting a regime that arrived with great fanfare and then struggled to fulfill its vast promise.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The Rams have 15 weeks to prove this regime is not as hapless as the clown shows that preceded it.

I would dispute that the last two seasons preceding this one were clown shows.

Why have the Rams had more luck drafting running backs late in drafts (Daryl Richardson, Zac Stacy) than in the middle of drafts (Isaiah Pead, Tre Mason)?

Linking Tre Mason with Isaiah Pead when he's yet to have a chance to prove himself? Really?

The rest of the article is hard to dispute.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I would dispute that the last two seasons preceding this one were clown shows.

Linking Tre Mason with Isaiah Pead when he's yet to have a chance to prove himself? Really?

The rest of the article is hard to dispute.

I think he meant coaches and front office not the two previous seasons.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
At least Fisher isn't force feeding players based on draft position.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Ok fine...but it also says something about their drafting ability if the higher picks aren't hitting.

I beat the patience drum for Brian Quick and Isiah Pead to death...Quick is finally rewarding me for that, and Pead may have but I'd suspect if he does at this point it's probably for a different team. Brockers and Ogletree are fine players, but I'd like to see one of them breakout this season and at least be in discussion for a probowl. Austin has all the talent in the world but if we continue to not get production out of him there is a problem...is that Austin or is it the scheme?

All of those players are extremely talented...but that talent needs to start producing or it is going to fall back on someone...either the players themselves, the coaches...or both.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
@RamBill please know that I'm "Liking" the fact that you are continuing to provide good information for us RODers. It's damn hard to like what is being said. Painful.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
The article is pretty damn snarky in its presentation but does raise some fair/difficult questions. I noticed that he said "We" in there. I smell a big fat blowhole whose name begins B.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Ok fine...but it also says something about their drafting ability if the higher picks aren't hitting.

I beat the patience drum for Brian Quick and Isiah Pead to death...Quick is finally rewarding me for that, and Pead may have but I'd suspect if he does at this point it's probably for a different team. Brockers and Ogletree are fine players, but I'd like to see one of them breakout this season and at least be in discussion for a probowl. Austin has all the talent in the world but if we continue to not get production out of him there is a problem...is that Austin or is it the scheme?

All of those players are extremely talented...but that talent needs to start producing or it is going to fall back on someone...either the players themselves, the coaches...or both.
I think the talent would have produced last week with Bradford or even a healthy Hill.
The QB situation is tough. Some teams only carry two all season long. We were already talking about 3rd and 4th guys on depth charts 2 quarters of football into the season.
Our defense has to keep their head on straight and get the other teams offense off the field.
Our o line has to run block.
Our players have to be ready.

If we win last week. Nobody would care that our 3rd rnd pick wasn't suited for the game

V3

Hall of Fame
I kinda wish he would force feed them. They need their players to develop faster than 3 years. What do they have to lose this season?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hate saying this , but all we can do is take a wait and see attitude for now. How can you project anything if you don't know who's starting were!!

iced

When you see how the Vikings used Patterson and how the Cardinals used Rookie John Brown, you gotta wonder what the hell schotty is doing with tavon

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think the talent would have produced last week with Bradford or even a healthy Hill.
The QB situation is tough. Some teams only carry two all season long. We were already talking about 3rd and 4th guys on depth charts 2 quarters of football into the season.
Our defense has to keep their head on straight and get the other teams offense off the field.
Our o line has to run block.
Our players have to be ready.

If we win last week. Nobody would care that our 3rd rnd pick wasn't suited for the game

If we win last week the argument that our draft picks "don't need to play" because we have greater talent now would hold water.

The QB situation does put this team behind the 8-ball...but if the offensive line were to have played as well as expected I don't think it would have been a 28 point loss.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Fair questions. But seriously:
YEAH ,I got little to no patience with people who get paid to write who don't proof read their work, looks like the PD is uniting to demand a team on it's third string QB play above expectations.
I said in another post considering the length of injury for Long and Bradford the injury to Hill ,the key nature of their positions we have reached IMO a situation commensurate to the 2011 season ,we shall now see if Fisher Can do better than was done back then ,I think he can how much better I don't know,if and when Bernise and Gordon need to eat some crow