Gordon: Foles' steady play is just what Rams need

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gordon: Foles' steady play is just what Rams need
By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_b3911a88-e78c-5aa4-afdd-1cc7096b701d.html

Quarterback Nick Foles looks like the right quarterback at the right time for the still-developing Rams.

He has provided steady leadership through the months of preparation and the tumultuous first month of play. He isn’t a wizened veteran, but he has handled himself like one.

He has remained upbeat and publicly supportive of oft-struggling teammates while they learned through trial and error. Reporters wish his media sessions were more colorful, but Foles is careful not to create distractions.

He has only pointed fingers to identify good plays, not the bad ones. He has projected a positive demeanor in the locker room, on the practice field, along the sidelines and on the playing field.

Foles shouldered responsibility for his costly late interception in the 12-6 loss to the Steelers, although myriad breakdowns by assorted teammates earlier in that game positioned the Rams to lose.

Then he went right back to work to help deliver a stunning 24-22 upset at Arizona, throwing three touchdown passes against the Cardinals’ vaunted “No Fly Zone” secondary. His third TD pass of the game illustrated his calm under fire.

The walls starting closing in on Foles as wide receiver Tavon Austin made his move to the middle of the field. But Foles waited another tick or two for Austin to get clear, then led him with his throw to keep the ball out of traffic. He trusted him to get there.

“Tavon is a playmaker,” Foles said. “He made some plays that not many people can make. Especially on end-arounds, catching the deep ball and his last touchdown getting across that guy’s face.”

Austin had to extend to catch what proved to be the decisive 12-yard TD pass in the Rams’ breakthrough victory.

“Being able to come down with that throw,” Foles said, “he has to just keep going.”

Continuing a pass route into open space is a just small thing, but such nuances can define careers. They separate impact receivers from the athletic sorts who come and go from the NFL without catching many passes.

Foles sees Austin becoming a difference maker, which was the whole idea when the Rams drafted him eighth. Austin caught six passes for 96 yards and two touchdowns Sunday and added two runs for 20 yards.

“He is one of those guys where the sky is the limit,” Foles said. “He has a great work ethic and I was proud of him today.”

Austin’s collegiate running mate, Stedman Bailey, should also blossom with Foles running this offense. They are quickly developing chemistry playing pitch and catch. Bailey has reliable hands and a knack for getting open.

“He is a really friendly target that can make all the plays,” Foles said. “He is a very savvy route runner and he has a great feel for the game. He is a guy we have to utilize and get him the ball because he can make plays.”

That was evident when Bailey shook free behind the Cardinals’ secondary for an 18-yard TD catch in the third quarter. The Rams worked on this particular play last week at Rams Park.

“I saw (man-to-man) coverage on Sted and Sted ran a really good route,” Foles said. “That is something we worked on this last week, just talking about what we wanted out of that route. He got to the right spot and he came down with a huge play. Great job by Sted giving me a chance to get the ball to him.”

Bailey had confidence in that play. In fact, that he had a TD celebration all planned out. He slid down into a resting position, using the football as a pillow.

Dare we say this long-sputtering offense developed a bit of swagger Sunday?

This was just one victory, but it was a huge victory against an excellent opponent in a hostile environment. The offensive line came of age and rookie running back Todd Gurley had his long-awaited breakout game after recovering from knee surgery.

Rather than finding a way to lose this game, the Rams found ways to win. Maybe, just maybe, they found their turning point.

Foles deserves considerable credit for this. He stepped up and led the way. Time after time he made good reads and accurate throws under duress.

The Cardinals pride themselves in forcing turnovers, but Foles avoided making the Big Mistake that would have doomed the Rams. The youthful line finally pulled itself together after a difficult first half and finally created some running seams.

That allowed Gurley to ran wild on the Gridbirds, gaining 146 yards on 19 carries in his first NFL start.

“The O-line did a great job of getting some seams going for Todd and Todd ran really hard,” Foles said. “That run game really opened up our offense and got us going and into some rhythm. That was huge.”

That effective ground game made it easier for Foles to sell his play-action fakes to freeze Cardinals linebackers and safeties. While Foles may not possess Sam Bradford’s pure passing skills, he makes throws Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill and Austin Davis could not make while filling the past few seasons.

“We have talented guys all around,” Foles said. “The important thing is to spread it around and give the playmakers the ball and let them do their thing.”

That sounds easy enough, but of course it’s not. That Foles made it look easy gives this long-sputtering offense hope for exciting times ahead.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Lol... Foles flew threw TD's through the no fly zone. That's pretty funny.

One of my favorite plays was Gurley breaking one and popped back up to jaw with Honey Badger. Huge win.

RAMBUSH

Starter
Oh baby , can you imagine 2 wins in a row !!!! Seems like it's been a while ... Oh fudge ! Packers...

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Oh baby , can you imagine 2 wins in a row !!!! Seems like it's been a while ... Oh fudge ! Packers...
Rams defense should be able to keep Rodgers in the pocket and make him rush throws, I see a couple of picks coming.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
“We have talented guys all around,” Foles said. “The important thing is to spread it around and give the playmakers the ball and let them do their thing.”

Yup, and TG is going to change defenses game planning and Foles and the WR's are going to love him for it.

walt189

UDFA
Name
Walt
"He has remained upbeat and publicly supportive of oft-struggling teammates while they learned through trial and error. Reporters wish his media sessions were more colorful, but Foles is careful not to create distractions."

Which is why IMO the Philly (and East Coast) media hated him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We should be able to run...They have a rookie corner on the other side of Shields, and I don't think much of :eek:Shields. There offense is wounded...Only real threat is Cobb. I welcome seeing Lacy....Eff their O-Line....We kill the head :shooting:(Rodgers) the body is sure to follow...As you can tell, I'm pumped up!!!!(y)

Time for some long, ball controlled drives from Foles. Show that he's already comfortable in Cigs offense....Can I get a lil Brian Quick to go with my Mountaineers, please? Oh and a bunch of my Georgia Bulldog!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Maximus - welcome.
You from across the pond?