Gordon: Benching Foles was a Must

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

maximus

Rookie
you mean the short little 10 yard pass to Tavon that Foles still managed to throw over his head forcing him to reach high then as he turned and tried to tuck it the ball got hit out. you want to blame recievers but when's the last time you saw Foles actually hit a reciever between the numbers? the answer is never

It was thrown away the defender. Brady does that all the time. All Tavon had to do was shield it with his body, as the defender was behind him. He hit receivers in the numbers plenty of times. Not all passes can be perfect, receivers for other teams make adjustments all the time on throws high or low. You see it every game numerous times.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
It was thrown away the defender. Brady does that all the time. All Tavon had to do was shield it with his body, as the defender was behind him. He hit receivers in the numbers plenty of times. Not all passes can be perfect, receivers for other teams make adjustments all the time on throws high or low. You see it every game numerous times.
what nonsense are you talking about? the defender was a yard or so behind on the release. and Foles at 6'5 threw it high like usual Tavon forcing a high reach then pull down giving the defender time to get there as he went to secure. and you're full of it if you're telling me Foles is accurate then you've lost all credibility, you've already been given the long list. you're on an island

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm not so sure Keenum will get the ball out in time either. Foles was a major problem, I'm not sure Keenum is the answer though. He may be, but judging by his career numbers he will be similar to Foles. The move had to be made. Let's see if it pays off.
He's more of a gunslinger. He will make throws that Foles won't attempt. It will result in a more risk/reward approach something I know Fishrer disdains. But at this point assuming the defense gets back to its normal level, the offense needs the infusion of a gunslinger mentality.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
He's more of a gunslinger. He will make throws that Foles won't attempt. It will result in a more risk/reward approach something I know Fishrer disdains. But at this point assuming the defense gets back to its normal level, the offense needs the infusion of a gunslinger mentality.
I heard the same thing about Foles being a gun slinger too. Look I'm hopeful Keenum will do better, I'm just not holding my breath. We are screwed at the QB position.

GoldenAges

UDFA
Name
Gold
I seriously think Fisher benched Foles for his own good. Foles will get killed behind that patchwork OL. The OL was one of the best run blocking units in the league for a few weeks there until Havenstein went down.

But back to Foles, he is a pocket passer. He is not very mobile and is terrible under pressure. He needs a few deep threats like he had in Philly (Desean and Maclin) because his deep ball is really good. WR has to be on the tippy top of the 2016 draft list.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm confused here. There's actually a person that wants foles to stay as starter?

The last 2 weeks may have been the worst performances I've seen from a qb. I'm sorry, the game against the Packers was worse. In between there were 2 poor games.

That's 5 games in a row of poor to horrible games from the qb. The last 2 games have been excruciating to watch.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
2811620-1613779424-GIF-A.gif
[av]http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2015-11-15_6184068471285486/movies/planet_apes/planet_apes_insane.wav[/av]

Memphis Ram

Legend
I seriously think Fisher benched Foles for his own good. Foles will get killed behind that patchwork OL. The OL was one of the best run blocking units in the league for a few weeks there until Havenstein went down.

But back to Foles, he is a pocket passer. He is not very mobile and is terrible under pressure. He needs a few deep threats like he had in Philly (Desean and Maclin) because his deep ball is really good. WR has to be on the tippy top of the 2016 draft list.

To me, it seems that most of the deep balls that Foles has thrown have forced the WRs to slow down in order to make a play.

In the end, it's possible that what made Foles was that hurry up offense that the Eagles ran under Kelly which caused confusion amongst tired defenses (That's probably why he pushed for hurry up action with Rams.) With that, he could make it on one read and have some success. That is, before defense adjusted.

In the end Fisher benched Foles because of his performance. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Last edited:

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
CourageousFavoriteGoldenretriever.gif

WelldocumentedUnevenJackrabbit.gif

HappygoluckySimplisticDuiker.gif

SafeLastClumber.gif

InsidiousInfatuatedAlbino.gif

I kept some completions because they still showcase what exactly got him benched, even in his few completions you can see he vastly under or overthrows his mark and barely ever throws away from his first read.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
To me, it seems that most of the deep balls that Foles has thrown have forced the WRs to slow down in order to make a play.

In the end, it's possible that what made Foles was that hurry up offense that the Eagles ran under Kelly which caused confusion amongst tired defenses (That's probably why he pushed for hurry up action with Rams.) With that, he could make it on one read and have some success. That is, before defense adjusted.

In the end Fisher benched Foles because of his performance. Nothing more. Nothing less.
I think you absolutely nailed it. Chip's offense has been sort of figured out as well. Your QB has to go through reads quickly and get the ball out quickly. Foles struggles with this majorly. That's what is holding him back. The scheme in 2013 helped him due to defensive confusion and his primary target being open.

Athos

Legend
I'm not so sure Keenum will get the ball out in time either. Foles was a major problem, I'm not sure Keenum is the answer though. He may be, but judging by his career numbers he will be similar to Foles. The move had to be made. Let's see if it pays off.

I dunno. I've watched a bit recently and he gets the ball out with a quicker release and when he has his guy open deep the ball is in the air for a shot at a big play.

His deep ball seems fine. It's the intermediate stuff I've not seen a whole lot of.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@HometownBoy

excellent work..... I wonder, how does a QB get "used" to primarily throwing to the first read? It doesn't seem like it would ever be successful? Even at the lowest levels....

but some stats mean something....even the 2013 year means something...

FRO

Legend
I dunno. I've watched a bit recently and he gets the ball out with a quicker release and when he has his guy open deep the ball is in the air for a shot at a big play.

His deep ball seems fine. It's the intermediate stuff I've not seen a whole lot of.
Problem is he won't have Andre Johnson, Nuke Hopkins, and Duane Brown. Keenum may be better than Foles. It will hard to be much worse. I'm not holding my breath.