Gordon: Benching Foles was a Must

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

maximus

Rookie
Keep making excuses. What you fail to acknowledge in the bolded part of your commentary above is that every single one of those throws as is the case with MOST...... Were late. He continually tries to force throws and when he is late it gives the defender plenty of time to close on the receiver.

How many times does he attempt to throw an simple out route from the far hash mark? The problem isn't that he lacks the arm strength to make the throw. It's that he needs to have the ball gone as the receiver starts his break. Instead he waits too long and give the CB time to contest the throw.

People like to flame on the receivers for their inability to get separation. But more often than not, they are open. But by the time the ball arrives they aren't any longer.

What you call drops are quite often contested balls made so much more difficult because the BALL IS LATE!

The ball hit both Britt and Kendricks in both their hands before going to the ground. LATE or NOT LATE. That is IRRELEVANT. That is a DROP.
The Tavon drop in the redzone on 3rd down, the ball was NOT LATE, it was well placed, away from the defender, Tavon caught but he did not secure it. That is a DROP.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Foles missed throws and sailed some over Quick, but the throws to Britt and Kendricks on third down were dropped, the ball hit them in their hands. The 4th down to Quick was well defended by the CB, the ball was well thrown, the CB was right there to defend it.
One third down conversion to Austin was negated by a holding call.
When the Rams kicked the last FG, the 3rd down pass was dropped by Tavon, a well thrown pass, TA had it in his hands.
Cutler and the Bears were 3-12 on 3rd down, not better than the Rams.

Many drives were killed by holding calls, one by a blindside block, the refs really had it for the Rams, while they let the Bears get away with everything. Foles did not play well, but the penalties and the drops really made it worse.

I'm sure you're correct about the circumstances, but honestly, does it make things any better? This teams a lot further away from "getting over the hump" or whatever euphemism one cares to mention. Will this QB change help, who knows, maybe, I hope so....but I honestly don't believe it will make that much difference by week 17........hope springs eternal I suppose. :thinking:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The ball hit both Britt and Kendricks in both their hands before going to the ground. LATE or NOT LATE. That is IRRELEVANT. That is a DROP.
The Tavon drop in the redzone on 3rd down, the ball was NOT LATE, it was well placed, away from the defender, Tavon caught but he did not secure it. That is a DROP.
You have no concept of what it means to catch a poorly thrown LATE football with guys draped all over you. But even if I were to concede those three passes. You're going pretty deep to find three examples to try to save your boy.

You seem to want to minimize how bad he's actually been. Every team and every QB has dropped passes. You make it sound like those are the sole reason Foles has struggled.

Come back next week when Keenum actually gets the ball out ON TIME and to the open receiver. And tell me how bad the passing game is.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Keep making excuses. What you fail to acknowledge in the bolded part of your commentary above is that every single one of those throws as is the case with MOST...... Were late. He continually tries to force throws and when he is late it gives the defender plenty of time to close on the receiver.

How many times does he attempt to throw an simple out route from the far hash mark? The problem isn't that he lacks the arm strength to make the throw. It's that he needs to have the ball gone as the receiver starts his break. Instead he waits too long and give the CB time to contest the throw.

People like to flame on the receivers for their inability to get separation. But more often than not, they are open. But by the time the ball arrives they aren't any longer.

What you call drops are quite often contested balls made so much more difficult because the BALL IS LATE!
Or low, or not the correct velocity, or wide, or behind the receiver, or high in the middle of the field, or etc. Accuracy in an NFL QB, is VERY important, and sometimes overlooked.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
3 drops, ball goes right between Britt's hands, that is a drop. On some of the throws Foles was not throwing catchable balls, that is true, to claim that he did it on all of them is an outright lie. Plenty of Cutler's passes were also not catchable. That is why he was 3-12 on 3rd down without drops.

Tavon was clearly a drop, he had it in his hands but did not protect it. To claim that is not a drop really shows the need to scapegoat Foles for all the problems in the game.
1 drop. I'm going to go ahead and use the NFL's metric over some guy who really, really, really wants Foles not to be as bad as he looked.

maximus

Rookie
You have no concept of what it means to catch s poorly thrown LATE football wo H guys draped all over you. But even if I were to concede those three passes. You're going pretty deep to find three example me to try to save your boy.

And you seem to not know the old saying, if the ball hits both receiver's hands, he should catch it. I'm not even going pretty deep, those were obvious drops. In critical moments also, all of them on 3rd down. 1 of them in the redzone. You're going pretty deep with your Foles hatred, that is for sure.

You seem to want to minimize how bad he's actually been. Every team and every QB has dropped passes. You make it sound like those are the sole reason Foles has struggled.

Every team has drops, what a great insight you have. Cool. The difference is that some of the have more than others, the Rams being near the top. The Rams TEs have led the league in drops, and TEs are supposed to be the QBs best friend. A crucial drop by Kendricks against Pitt, perfect deep ball from Foles, no other QB could had thrown it better. Against Vikings, well thrown deep ball to Tavon, drop. Catch those two, Rams win 2 more games and sit now at 6-3.

No, the drops aren't the only reason. Just in this last game, drive after drive after drive was killed by holding penalties. TD nullified, 3rd down nullified. Gurley a total non-factor outside the first drive, and this offense is supposedly a run first offense. A rusty Welker stops his route 1 yard short of the sticks in the redzone on a 3rd down, he gets tackled there and the Rams kick a FG instead of having a 1st and goal near the 5 yard line.. Bears with a good pass defense, could focus on the pass all game long after the 1st drive.

Foles got all the blame, despite the D crapping the bed, the run game non-existent outside the first drive, many holding calls which put the offense in very bad situations, drops, an opponent with a good pass defense which could focus on defending the pass all game long, a rusty Welker in his first game in a long time. But I'm minimizing how badly Foles played Right. I should just hate him and just ignore the circumstances of the game.

Come back next week when Keenum actually gets the ball out ON TIME and to the open receiver. And tell me how bad the passing game is.

You mean against the Ravens, one of the worst pass defenses in the league? I can't wait to see how he beats both Seattle and Arizona, since he's so much better than Foles. Can't wait.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
And you seem to not know the old saying, if the ball hits both receiver's hands, he should catch it. I'm not even going pretty deep, those were obvious drops. In critical moments also, all of them on 3rd down. 1 of them in the redzone. You're going pretty deep with your Foles hatred, that is for sure.

Every team has drops, what a great insight you have. Cool. The difference is that some of the have more than others, the Rams being near the top. The Rams TEs have led the league in drops, and TEs are supposed to be the QBs best friend. A crucial drop by Kendricks against Pitt, perfect deep ball from Foles, no other QB could had thrown it better. Against Vikings, well thrown deep ball to Tavon, drop. Catch those two, Rams win 2 more games and sit now at 6-3.

No, the drops aren't the only reason. Just in this last game, drive after drive after drive was killed by holding penalties. TD nullified, 3rd down nullified. Gurley a total non-factor outside the first drive, and this offense is supposedly a run first offense. A rusty Welker stops his route 1 yard short of the sticks in the redzone on a 3rd down, he gets tackled there and the Rams kick a FG instead of having a 1st and goal near the 5 yard line.. Bears with a good pass defense, could focus on the pass all game long after the 1st drive.

Foles got all the blame, despite the D crapping the bed, the run game non-existent outside the first drive, many holding calls which put the offense in very bad situations, drops, an opponent with a good pass defense which could focus on defending the pass all game long, a rusty Welker in his first game in a long time. But I'm minimizing how badly Foles played Right. I should just hate him and just ignore the circumstances of the game.

You mean against the Ravens, one of the worst pass defenses in the league? . Can't wait.
Already making excuses to CYA.

And btw. I don't hate Nick Foles. I actually got to meet him at training camp. He's a very personable guy. But I'm not a fan of how he's played QB this year.

You're actually quite amusing. And have you noticed there is not one sole coming in here to support your opinion?

Not turning this into a ongoing back and forth. I've had my say. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

maximus

Rookie
1 drop. I'm going to go ahead and use the NFL's metric over some guy who really, really, really wants Foles not to be as bad as he looked.

NFL metric? You really have no idea what you are talking about. Here is the NFL's OFFICIAL passing stats page. Nowhere do they list drops
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...Category=RECEIVING&season=2015&seasonType=REG

Not acknowledging that Tavon dropped that 3rd down in the redzone, when he had the ball in his hands, shows how really, really, really you want Foles to look as bad as you want.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
NFL metric? You really have no idea what you are talking about. Here is the NFL's OFFICIAL passing stats page. Nowhere do they list drops
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...Category=RECEIVING&season=2015&seasonType=REG

Not acknowledging that Tavon dropped that 3rd down in the redzone, when he had the ball in his hands, shows how really, really, really you want Foles to look as bad as you want.
Why are you so argumentative? Not necessary on this forum. But yet you seemed determined to take on anybody who disagrees with you.

You made your point. Let it go. Please.

maximus

Rookie
Why are you so argumentative? Not necessary on this forum. But yet you seemed determined to take on anybody who disagrees with you.

You made your point. Let it go. Please.

What is wrong with supporting my position? I bring facts, I bring arguments, I bring debate. I should just disappear so Foles haters can have a field day. Right. He should be the scapegoat for all the problems, anyone who disagrees should just shut up and get lost. Right. Great Coach. Nice standards you have there.

I just love how you ignored all the arguments and facts I did bring to the discussion. So once again.

Foles got all the blame, despite the D crapping the bed, the run game non-existent outside the first drive, many holding calls which put the offense in very bad situations, drops, an opponent with a good pass defense which could focus on defending the pass all game long outside the 1st drive, a rusty Welker in his first game in a long time.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFC&type=Receiving&rank=232&year=

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFC&type=Receiving&rank=232&year=

Britt had 3 on the year before Sunday, Kendricks had 2, Tavon had 1.

After the update, Britt still has 3, Kendricks now has 3, Tavon still at 1.

One drop.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What is wrong with supporting my position? I bring facts, I bring arguments, I bring debate. I should just disappear so Foles haters can have a field day. Right. He should be the scapegoat for all the problems, anyone who disagrees should just shut up and get lost. Right. Great Coach. Nice standards you have there.

I just love how you ignored all the arguments and facts I did bring to the discussion. So once again.

Foles got all the blame, despite the D crapping the bed, the run game non-existent outside the first drive, many holding calls which put the offense in very bad situations, drops, an opponent with a good pass defense which could focus on defending the pass all game long outside the 1st drive, a rusty Welker in his first game in a long time.
They're your opinion not facts. Dropped passes are the most subjective stat out there. And you seem to act as if they are gospel.

You've not given one fact that wasn't opinion based. And yes. You aren't debating anything. You're repeating the same tired arguments. And just trying to lick fights for arguments sake. That plays on another forum. Not here.

But apparently you have decided to grace us with that nonsense in the hopes of being the king shit disturber in here.

Find another target. I'm done with you.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
3 drops, ball goes right between Britt's hands, that is a drop. On some of the throws Foles was not throwing catchable balls, that is true, to claim that he did it on all of them is an outright lie. Plenty of Cutler's passes were also not catchable. That is why he was 3-12 on 3rd down without drops.

Tavon was clearly a drop, he had it in his hands but did not protect it. To claim that is not a drop really shows the need to scapegoat Foles for all the problems in the game.
you mean the short little 10 yard pass to Tavon that Foles still managed to throw over his head forcing him to reach high then as he turned and tried to tuck it the ball got hit out. you want to blame recievers but when's the last time you saw Foles actually hit a reciever between the numbers? the answer is never

RedRam

Pro Bowler
From the LA Times...

la-sp-nfl-dads-pictures-003

Larry Foles, father of the Rams' Nick Foles, covers his face as he watches his son play in an NFL game at the DirecTV Fantasy Zone TV set.

Michael Nagle / For The Times

Welcome to the family Larry! :grouphug: Believe me, we understand... :shocked: :palm: :headexplosion:

RamzFanz

Damnit
The sad part is everyone's right. Foles has sucked, line has sucked, penalties have sucked, and there have been a ton of dropped balls.

TA has had close to a half dozen so there's no way the sportingchart drops are accurate.

That being said, an improvement at QB would have also produced more wins. Many open receivers missed.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Something nobody, to my knowledge, has touched on.

If you bench a QB too early, you lose credibility, with the team. If you bench a QB too late, you lose all credibility with the team. The line is finer, than we want to make it.

I saw things that I didn't like game 1. Game two was horrendous, and I noted it. We didn't really win any games, because of Foles, yes it's a team game, we all know that, but the QB is a huge part of that.

Saying that, it would have been way too early to pull him after his 2nd game. It sends the wrong message to the team. They voted him team captain, not Fisher. Now, after the third, or 4th game, too soon? Maybe.

After a couple more stinkers, it has to be seriously considered. I wish it would have happened a few weeks ago, because I thought we had a large enough sample by then. I also think, we probably lost any chance to make the playoffs now. Fisher, couldn't have waited another game, the last two were designed to let Foles make it, or break it. We all know what happened.

If Fisher would have crossed that blurry line, with another poor start by Foles, IMO, he would have lost the team.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

If you bench a QB too early, you lose credibility, with the team. If you bench a QB too late, you lose all credibility with the team. The line is finer, than we want to make it.

I saw things that I didn't like game 1. Game two was horrendous, and I noted it. We didn't really win any games, because of Foles, yes it's a team game, we all know that, but the QB is a huge part of that.

Saying that, it would have been way too early to pull him after his 2nd game. It sends the wrong message to the team. They voted him team captain, not Fisher. Now, after the third, or 4th game, too soon? Maybe.

After a couple more stinkers, it has to be seriously considered. I wish it would have happened a few weeks ago, because I thought we had a large enough sample by then. I also think, we probably lost any chance to make the playoffs now. Fisher, couldn't have waited another game, the last two were designed to let Foles make it, or break it. We all know what happened.

If Fisher would have crossed that blurry line, with another poor start by Foles, IMO, he would have lost the team.

I think the way this has played out indicates Fisher is finally feeling some pressure to produce. I include that fake punt in the mix. I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been more criticism regarding Foles shall we say, short comings all this time. My lack of confidence in this head coach sadly continues. It's beyond disappointing to play with two-thirds of a team.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Well said Dr.
I still think he may have waited too long...that 2nd half...after he yelled at them during halftime...the defense was pissed...and didn't look invested...I saw Donald get off late..and barely move on a 3rd down play....it pissed me off...

FRO

Legend
You have no concept of what it means to catch a poorly thrown LATE football with guys draped all over you. But even if I were to concede those three passes. You're going pretty deep to find three examples to try to save your boy.

I'm not so sure Keenum will get the ball out in time either. Foles was a major problem, I'm not sure Keenum is the answer though. He may be, but judging by his career numbers he will be similar to Foles. The move had to be made. Let's see if it pays off.