Goodell's idea to help inconsistencies among officials

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...goodell-knows-nfl-officiating-is-inconsistent

An encouraging and fairly remarkable admission came forth Sunday morning from an unlikely source: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Speaking to reporters in Minnesota, Goodell made clear that he and the league office are not thrilled with the statistical inconsistencies among officiating crews. He even suggested a reasonable solution!

I've been fascinated for years by the significant discrepancies in total penalty calls as well as within individual penalty categories. As a season advances, it becomes clear which crew is more likely to nail a team for a violation and which one will let it go. In some cases, as I'll demonstrate below, we see crews who make eight or nine times as many calls for a particular penalty than other crews.

"We see that there is a range from high to low as far as the number of fouls that have been called," Goodell said. "What can we do to try to make sure that is done consistently? There should not be as much of a range. Obviously, some of that, as you know, is based on the game. If fouls are occurring, they should call more fouls. Over a season, that should start to become pretty level."

Washington Redskinscornerback Chris Culliver, whose right forearm made contact with the neck area of Carolina Panthers tight end Greg Olsen during a game-changing play in the second quarter at Bank of America Stadium. The contact was not severe, but Boger enforced a 2015 update to Rule 12, Section 2, Article 7(b-1) that prohibits players from "forcibly hitting" a defenseless player's head or neck area with the "helmet, facemask, forearm or shoulder" during the process of an interception.

The unnecessary roughness penalty wiped out Culliver's 75-yard interception return in a game that was tied at 14. The Panthers finished the possession with a touchdown en route to a 44-16 victory. Boger's crew finished the game with 24 total penalty calls against a pair of teams that entered Week 11 with two of the NFL's seven-lowest penalty totals.

The issue is not so much that Boger strictly imposed a rule but that other officiating crews seem less likely to do the same. Would every crew have seen the contact as "forcible?" The numbers tell us no.

To be clear, some variance, of course, is unavoidable as long as humans officiate sporting events. We accept as much in other sports, be it different strike zones among baseball umpires or a range of foul frequency from referees in basketball.

In some cases, as Goodell noted, the efficiency of teams -- or lack thereof -- can be responsible for penalty rates. Talent levels vary across the league. Some are better at avoiding penalties than others. But over time, that variance should probably even out among crews who migrate around the league during the season. What I've found in the past few years of watching this is that it does not.

Below are a sample of ranges among crews in significant penalty calls entering Week 10, courtesy ESPN Stats & Information. These are the numbers Goodell had available to him as he made his comments. Go ahead and take a look, and then we'll consider the merits and flaws of his suggestion to improve them.

Defensive holding

High: 17 (Clete Blakeman)

Low: 6 (Tony Corrente, Jeff Triplette)

Defensive pass interference

High: 17 (Ronald Torbert)

Low: 4 (Brad Allen, Blakeman, Triplette)

False start

High: 26 (Tony Corrente, Craig Wrolstad)

Low: 10 (Brad Allen)

Illegal use of hands

High: 10 (Corrente)

Low: 1 (Wrolstad)

Offensive holding

High: 40 (Boger, Triplette)

Low: 19 (Steratore)

Offensive pass interference

High: 11 (Torbert)

Low: 0 (Steratore)

Delay of game

High: 9 (Allen)

Low: 2 (Hussey, Morelli)

Intentional grounding

High: 5 (Blakeman)

Low: 0 (eight crews)

Roughing the passer

High: 9 (Boger, Triplette)

Low: 1 (Brad Allen)

Behavior

High: 21 (Boger)

Low: 6 (Cheffers)

Penalties don't always fall along these rates, of course. Sunday's NFC North matchup between the Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings featured six offensive holding penalties. Referee Walt Coleman's crew had entered the game with 25 such calls, the fifth fewest in the league.

Goodell, however, spoke publicly for the first time that I can remember about a suggestion first voiced last January by NFL executive vice president Troy Vincent. Rotating members of officiating crews during the season, Goodell reasoned, could help spread the human bias more evenly and make it more difficult for crews to establish a wide-ranging variance.

The suggestion makes some sense from afar, although there is no doubt the officials themselves won't like it. They consider themselves similar to an offensive line, which usually grows efficiency through continuity over time. It would stand to reason that an operation would run less smoothly among people who don't know each other and aren't used to working with each other.

On the other hand, familiarity also could breed unintended bias. Shaking up the people involved could shake out the bias. To the extent possible, no game should be impacted by the individual proclivities or interpretations of officials.

The solution isn't perfect, but it's encouraging to see that the league recognizes what has seemed apparent to third-party observers. It's a start.

FRO

Legend
Here is what they should do, thin out the playbook. Too many rules lead to too many penalties which leads to boring football. Football was so much better just 10 years ago. It's become so boring due to penalties.

rams2050

Starter
Miss a possible concussion and this is what awaits you:

firing_squad_in_iran_640_430_90.jpg

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Hope the NFL starts looking into the refs by firing Boger and his crew! That's 1.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
1) Full Time Refs

2) Rule Reformation. Make it so anyone can know what is a catch from the stands if they saw it and other rule reforms to simplify the game for players, officials and fans.

3) Thorough training to standardize how calls are made and grade refs not only calls made and missed, but on uniformity because the rules need to be enforced down to down and game to game the same across the league.

Stel

Starter
Inconsistency between crews is less of a problem than inconsistency within crews.

Classic example: It takes a lot more "holding" to get a call in favor of Quinn than it takes to get a call against Robinson.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
They should also look into why some teams get the benefit of the doubt more than others.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
fucking fire all those corrupt little pricks and bring in fresh meat. untainted. hell make that new chick ref a head official. can't hurt at this point with this disgusting display we're seeing. won't matter for the Rams tho cus choke holds against our Dline don't count as holding. they can all get hit by a bus for all I care those overpaid little bitches.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
1) Full Time Refs

2) Rule Reformation. Make it so anyone can know what is a catch from the stands if they saw it and other rule reforms to simplify the game for players, officials and fans.

3) Thorough training to standardize how calls are made and grade refs not only calls made and missed, but on uniformity because the rules need to be enforced down to down and game to game the same across the league.
I really like this, new refs old refs, whatever, let's just start making it possible to hold them accountable.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I'm not making excuses for the NFL refs (I don't know maybe I am) It is much harder than you think to make calls from the field than it is from the stands because of the angle. I do Jr High and High school games and even at this level things happen pretty fast and if you aren't 100% sure, we don't make the call. A lot of times your view is blocked or your key was somewhere else and you hear the fans bitching because you missed something.
There isn't much training provided at my level ( though I study game film anytime I get a chance) but I know that Division 1 college and NFL refs are constantly training and watching film and attending meetings. They get enough. We are all pretty professional about it and 99% of us do it for the love of the game and no other reason. (No job could get me out of the house for 4 hours, for $50 on a Friday night.) Maybe put a few refs on cherry pickers, I can see that helping

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm not making excuses for the NFL refs (I don't know maybe I am) It is much harder than you think to make calls from the field than it is from the stands because of the angle. I do Jr High and High school games and even at this level things happen pretty fast and if you aren't 100% sure, we don't make the call. A lot of times your view is blocked or your key was somewhere else and you hear the fans bitching because you missed something.
There isn't much training provided at my level ( though I study game film anytime I get a chance) but I know that Division 1 college and NFL refs are constantly training and watching film and attending meetings. They get enough. We are all pretty professional about it and 99% of us do it for the love of the game and no other reason. (No job could get me out of the house for 4 hours, for $50 on a Friday night.) Maybe put a few refs on cherry pickers, I can see that helping

You're only making the case for full time refs. Everything you posted only reinforces my suggestions. With their full time jobs, there are lots of things they can't do. The league could hire a "scrimmage squad" and have them scrimmage twice a week and rotate crews through that scrimmage while everyone else watches and have each ref given a eye level camera. So if a call is made or looks to be missed, the scrimmage can be stopped and the refs can all look at what that ref saw who made the call and what they all should be looking for. We may find we need another ref on the field or a ref on a crane or an actual ref in the booth. I don't know. But I do know that this part time crap is horse manure. If I as a fan can wake up and in less than 10 minutes think of a viable plan to significantly improve the officiating in the NFL, what are they waiting for???

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Personal fouls and PI's should be reviewable upstairs.

Word.

I'm reminded of the Sims hit on Romo last year.
http://thebiglead.com/2014/12/18/the-ten-worst-roughing-the-passer-plays-of-the-2014-nfl-season/

And the Brockers hit on McCown
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mike-pereira-breaks-down-nfl-week-12-calls-112413

Maybe because of the Rams rep, maybe because the NFL is fixed, the Rams just seem to get more of these penalties that other teams (at least from where I sit). And more severe penalties. And more critical timing. (e.g. defensive holding on an incomplete pass on 3rd and 7).

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Personal fouls and PI's should be reviewable upstairs.

And that PI rule should include the PIs that are NOT called.

~~~

Really, they should just give the flags to the COACHES, not the REFS. Coaches get unlimited FLAGS as long as they are right each time. They only get 4 WRONG flags per half. All COACH flags are reviewed "UPSTAIRS". And the UPSTAIRS ref should have to explain their decisions to the media after the game.

Refs should be there to place the ball, blow the whistle and break up fights. If a ref ever blows a whistle prematurely, they should be shot. And nobody would mind, cuz refs just suck.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I completely disagree with the full time ref premise. You can't force them to quit other means of enrichment so most refs will continue with other careers. And these guys have ample opportunity to get better at their jobs. Holding them accountable would be the only way to successfully force them to fine tune their skills and ensure that they get better at their jobs. You don't pay more in hoping that they will get better. You pay more BECAUSE they got better.

This idea of moving refs between crews will only hide a few of the bad refs in that the fans won't be able to identify a crew as the problem. Thus the NFL once again is trying to figure out a way to look like they care while doing absolutely nothing about the real problem. Who the hell cares if Triplette or Boger is offset by someone else not making those same calls? Did that make Triplette or Boger better refs? Do teams know their games will be called any more consistently?

Quit dicking around Rog and give the coaches the opportunity to challenge a couple calls and/or have the replay booth call down to overturn. It's not like it will take any longer than these several minute long conferences the refs are having almost every time someone throws a yellow hanky.

And yeah - while you're at it. Simplify the damn rules. It's obvious that the refs can't keep them all in their heads while trying to call such a rapid fire game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I really like this, new refs old refs, whatever, let's just start making it possible to hold them accountable.

Originally Goodell and the NFL wanted to do several things mentioned in this thread.

The refs have a union and they didn't want to go there, that's why the NFL locked them out. Then the replacement refs made the same kinds of mistakes the regular refs did and fans were throwing a tantrum and complaining enough that the NFL was forced to cave.

So to all of you guys who were really, really vocal about the replacement refs......fuck you for making it EVEN WORSE.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Human error is acceptable to a point if it speeds up the game. Full time refs, keep rules clear and simple, and quit nuking everything with replay.

Allow coaches ONE challenge per game. That will eliminate them questioning stupid $h!t early in games. Stop reviewing every effing scoring play.

Refs need to be a little empowered. Ones that suck get fired. Accountability and building the best crews is the answer not cutting their balls off and questioning everything they do.