Goodell supports a shorter preseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/09/goodell-says-he-supports-a-shorter-preseason/

Goodell says he supports a shorter preseason
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 9, 2017

598b44e2e9493662165881.gif

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell knows the quality of play in the preseason stinks.

“When I go around to fans, that’s maybe the No. 1 thing I hear,” Goodell said, via Bob Glauber of Newsday. “The NFL should do things to the highest possible standards. Preseason games are not that.”

If that's how you feel, then why not toss out the Pro Bowl game as well?

giphy.gif

Goodell said he thinks the NFL could reduce the preseason schedule from four games to three and not lose anything.

“There’s value to them, building a team, evaluating players,” he said. “But there are other ways of doing that. I think we could do it in three [games]. Almost every coach has agreed we could get done what we need to in three games.”

The question is whether Goodell will try to push the players to accept a longer regular season in exchange for a shorter preseason. He indicated that any change to the schedule would be negotiated with the players, and not simply determined by the league.

“Any change in the [overall game] structure, we said that we would collectively bargain,” he said.

Many players would be on board with a shorter preseason. But if Goodell wants a longer regular season or some other concession in exchange for a shorter preseason, that could lead to a battle with the players.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's ridiculous to think the owners will give up a pricey pres-season game without wanting an expanded regular season. This was a big "what if" floated a few years ago. As much as I don't like preseason, HC's across the NFL want as much time as possible to see/test what the new guys can do. Most are a work in progress and really are not quite ready for the NFL, but there is no NFL Europe to function as a semi-pro league. The Kurt Warner's out there are getting lost by not having a semi-pro NFL in the USA. This would make NFL preseason more profitable if the borderline NFL players received coaching away from the glare of Prime Time (dude will stare you down!) before trying an NFL Preseason.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Yeah, I can't see a shorter preseason without increasing the regular season. Most fans would love to see the regular season move up earlier with an extra game or two. We get anxious the closer it gets. But I doubt the players want that. What the fans want doesn't carry as much weight.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wish they could shorten the NFL Off-season. Seems like an eternity!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As much as I don't like preseason, HC's across the NFL want as much time as possible to see/test what the new guys can do.

Give the coaches more time with the players before the preseason games, the way it was in the old days.

away from the glare of Prime Time (dude will stare you down!)

Yes I will. :coach:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
For teams like the Rams, they're still putting their offense together 4 games into the regular season due to the CBA and new coaches and players, and teams like the Patriots and Packers they have had all their coaches and playbooks in place for years and can start the season with a huge advantage. Shortening the pre season hurts young teams with new coaches and helps old teams that have little turnover.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
They should concentrate in important things. Like lowering beer prices at the games.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's ridiculous to think the owners will give up a pricey pres-season game without wanting an expanded regular season. This was a big "what if" floated a few years ago. As much as I don't like preseason, HC's across the NFL want as much time as possible to see/test what the new guys can do. Most are a work in progress and really are not quite ready for the NFL, but there is no NFL Europe to function as a semi-pro league. The Kurt Warner's out there are getting lost by not having a semi-pro NFL in the USA. This would make NFL preseason more profitable if the borderline NFL players received coaching away from the glare of Prime Time (dude will stare you down!) before trying an NFL Preseason.

Well that, and that fans (no matter how much they deny it), WANT football, as much as possible.

Apparently the boring HoF game had higher ratings than every NBA finals game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
look concerned about player safety....you know they charge full price for preseason games?

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I have an idea.... Teams Play 20 Games but you are allowed to exclude 4 games from your record. That way teams that need practice can use those up in the beginning of the season and Teams that are headed to the playoffs can exclude a few games at the end.