Goodell: Nfl Could Abolish The Extra Point.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
JP
[www.rotoworld.com]

Speaking Monday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league could eventually abolish the extra point.
"The extra point is almost automatic," Goodell said. "I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd. So it's a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play." Goodell said the league is intrigued by a proposal that would automatically grant seven points for every touchdown, but still allow teams to try for an eighth point via a traditional offensive play. The catch is that if you fail to convert, the touchdown then becomes worth only six points. Perhaps the most perfunctory play in sports, extra points serve almost no purpose at the professional level.
Source: NFL.com Jan 20 - 5:11 PM

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Hmmm. I can see times where I'd want the other team to have to make that extra point.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And that would be an improvement? Right Roger. Sometimes leaving shit alone is the best move to not make.

A55VA6

Legend
Pretty soon there won't be any kickoffs, no extra points... Has to piss off kickers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Let's eliminate running plays! I mean, they only average about 4yds. That's not very much.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Stupid idea Commandante goodell. Stupid.

I propose that the NFL should eliminate YOU.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I agree that XPts have become too routine,but i don't like this idea.

I say just move back the extra point 10 or 15 yards. Keep it interesting and easier to block for the defending ST's.

Cory

UDFA
This is why you don't get rid of that extra point! James later blocked another in double OT but that one won the game.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
You want to add excitement? Leave the PAT, and allow the defense to run it back just like in college.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lol. That was the most backwards-assed explanation of a 2 point conversion I ever read. We'll give you 7 with a chance for 8, but if you fail, it's only 6. How about just giving 6 and making teams try to convert the 2 point conversion. It's the same freakin' thing.

RFIP

Is this guy dumber than snake shit or what? 7 is 7, unless its 8...or 6? WTF??

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Instead, they should make teams kick a 55 yarder for the extra point. It would put a premium on kickers in the draft, and make Hekker happy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They need to make kickers kick the PAT through a windmill or Lincoln's jaws.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You want to add excitement? Leave the PAT, and allow the defense to run it back just like in college.

I agree, I have always thought it should be a live ball if it's blocked. Why wouldn't it be right?