Goodell looking to speed up pace of games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Hire Chip Kelly as Commissioner of Speed? That would be right up his alley. :) I doubt if the NFL would mess with the amount of commercials each game, especially considering the 8% drop in ratings last season.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...king-speed-pace-games-reduce-stoppages-action

NFL looking to speed up pace of games, reduce stoppages in action
Kevin Seifert/NFL Nation

The NFL could change game management procedures to speed up the pace of games and reduce stoppages, commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday in Houston.

Goodell, giving his annual news conference at the site of Super Bowl LI, provided examples, most notably a new play clock that would minimize the time between point-after attempts and the ensuing kickoff.

He said the discussions began several years ago, but acknowledged the urgent timing after the NFL's television ratings fell by 8 percent in 2016 compared to the previous season.

"What we're trying to do is make our product as exciting, and our games as exciting and action-packed, as possible," Goodell said.

Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti has previously said he thinks the game needs to speed up.

"It doesn't take a genius to figure out that nobody wants to see two minutes of commercials, come back, kick the ball and then go to a minute-and-a-half of commercials," Bisciotti said in early January.

The changes Goodell mentioned included:
  • A time limit for teams to be ready for a kickoff, reducing the duration of what is typically the least-eventful sequence of an NFL game. The purpose would be to avoid "delays getting the teams assembled and back onto the field," Goodell said.

• Using Microsoft Surface Pro tablets for replay reviews. The league has experimented with the tablets for replay in previous preseasons and Pro Bowls. Currently, they are approved only for coaches and players to view photographs on the sidelines. Goodell suggested using the tablets would be faster than the current replay stations.

• Cutting the referee announcement that a play is under review.

• Reducing the number of commercials from five per quarter to four. "We think less is more in this area," Goodell said. "And we can do it with the right balance that will improve the quality of experience either in the stadium or on television."
Details for most of those changes would be developed by the NFL competition committee and considered by owners this spring or summer. Typically, however, initiatives that Goodell advances in January are approved.

"I expect to see a lot of those changes in the offseason," Goodell said.

Information from ESPN's Jamison Hensley contributed to this report.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Excellent start, Roger!!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Does sound like a good start.

I'm not sure about removing that 5th commercial break every quarter though. I think the players make good use out of those delays in the action. It's not the time... it's the content. They should just replace the 5th commercial break every quarter with what's going on at the actual game during the break.... especially some camera time for the totally neglected cheerleaders who are working their asses off during these breaks. We need to pay them some respect and close-ups at least once a quarter. Tell me you wouldn't watch that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
"It doesn't take a genius to figure out that nobody wants to see two minutes of commercials, come back, kick the ball and then go to a minute-and-a-half of commercials," Bisciotti said in early January.

Evidently they weren't genius enough to NOT do it...........so there ya go.

It's the cheddar.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
None of it's gonna matter when they add another official who is pulling that flag out of his pocket. There will be more penalties, more game stoppages, more reviews, and more game outcomes being decided by the zebras.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
" Cut the commercials to '3' and through out all the rule changes you have made Goodell. Then things may speed up, when players are allowed to play ball!!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Oh, good. Roger's gonna try and improve the NFL.

My life is now complete...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Get rid of the stupid first down chain marker and use technology to determine 1st downs. Its such a joke that in today's era we have to have a walk off of a chain and stretch it out to determine 1st down. Talk about a waste of time.
We have driverless cars, drones delivering packages and google earth can pick out a fly's azz from space but we still need to walk it off? Get the eff out a here...

DeaconJones

Rookie
TD scored. 2 minute break. Subsequent kickoff. 2 minute break. Ugh. Get rid of one. Also make all timeouts 30 seconds or less. Heck give them a 4th timeout, which merely allows the clock to be stopped but does not result in extra stoppage (i.e. makes an in-bounds play just like an out of bounds play or incomplete pass).

Bring in bulldozers to shovel slightly-injured players off the field in an expeditious manner (just kidding).

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Right? He's a CEO not a commissioner.
Making the NFL more money > The quality of the game > The fan experience

Well, no matter what he's said, his actions pretty much spell that out in explicit terms.

All sarcasm aside.

In his first press conference, he said his job was, "to defend the shield".

yeah, that meant to protect the corporate interests of the NFL against the specter of potential damage resulting from what became CTE. The coward Tagliabue didn't want that to be his legacy...so he ran and left us with freakin' Lumbergh as Commissioner...

office-space-bill-lumbergh-01.jpg

Yeah....if you could not talk about concussions and move your office to the basement....that'd be great...mmmkay?

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Make steroids mandatory. I want my kickers making 75 yard field goals and wide receivers jumping twelve feet to catch a pass... just watch out for that 340lb safety than runs a 4.1 40!

Zero

Pro Bowler
Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti has previously said he thinks the game needs to speed up.

A owner who actually gets it.

whitedk57

Ram fan for life
Name
Duane
Just cut the commercials from 5 to 3. The referee saying that the play is under review - that's for the stadium fans, otherwise they'll be all confused as to what's going on.

Commercials are the biggest source of angst among tv watchers - it's agonizing!