Goodell apologizes for Ray Rice decision

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
It's probably just me then, but it still comes across as "we're making it up as we go along and we have no fucking clue about what we're doing, sorry about that" but whatever.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
It's probably just me then, but it still comes across as "we're making it up as we go along and we have no freaking clue about what we're doing, sorry about that" but whatever.

That's how rules (and laws) get made. People try a framework, it either succeeds and becomes popular or it fails and you tinker and revise until it succeeds. The NFL's not impervious to the fallibility of a guess and check decision making process, regardless of how popular the league is.

Philly5

Rookie
Typical stupid Goodell. He apologizes for a 'decision' he just made. Fix it.

Some NFL teams just seem better connected than others.

That's how rules (and laws) get made. People try a framework, it either succeeds and becomes popular or it fails and you tinker and revise until it succeeds. The NFL's not impervious to the fallibility of a guess and check decision making process, regardless of how popular the league is.

So it took him a few weeks to realise how awful a decision it was, one worth apologising for, but it wasn't obvious at the time. If that was the standard that judges are held to then the entire system is a joke.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
So it took him a few weeks to realise how awful a decision it was, one worth apologising for, but it wasn't obvious at the time. If that was the standard that judges are held to then the entire system is a joke.

That's why the Constitution is a living document made up of Amendments (synonym for changes). Decisions made by humans can't be seen an infallible, we make mistakes, (sometimes) we take accountability, and we try to do better the next time.

That's life man. Not sure what you're expecting.

That's why the Constitution is a living document made up of Amendments (synonym for changes). Decisions made by humans can't be seen an infallible, we make mistakes, (sometimes) we take accountability, and we try to do better the next time.

That's life man. Not sure what you're expecting.

It just seems that if you can reach a decision on your own that that decision you made a few weeks ago was wrong, that you can make the decision that it's wrong when making the decision, but apparently not. I'd hope that if a judge came out and said "you know that $375,000 judgement I made the other week, it should have been $1.1m soz" he'd get ridiculed for it rather than praised for apologising. But whatever, as you say that's life, we have very low standards for people.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
It just seems that if you can reach a decision on your own that that decision you made a few weeks ago was wrong, that you can make the decision that it's wrong when making the decision, but apparently not. I'd hope that if a judge came out and said "you know that $375,000 judgement I made the other week, it should have been $1.1m soz" he'd get ridiculed for it rather than praised for apologising. But whatever, as you say that's life, we have very low standards for people.

Well, the alternatives, as I see them, are:

1.) Never making a mistake (not possible).
2.) Never admit you're wrong (which seems to be the M.O. for a lot of folks, but kind of a cruddy way to contribute towards advancing a civilization, IMO).

If you think folks should be publicly horse whipped every time they make a mistake, you're gonna encourage a whole lot more folks to pursue route #2, I'd think.

Goodell has a lot of issues. He's been far from a perfect Commish. But I thought today showed some class. No point in deriding him because he owned up to messing up, IMO.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You're not cynical enough. You're viewing Goodell's actions as deciding he was wrong. That's not why he changed the penalty. It was a business decision - the league was getting bad publicity that didn't stop after a day or so, and was being brought up with every subsequent penalty he imposed. To take the light off of the Rice decision he changed the policy so that it would stop being a reason to criticize the league, and get a lot of people very upset and less likely to watch and spend money. That's all it was. Goodell is a corporate head. I'm sure he has a conscience, but that has little or nothing to do with it. It was column after column criticizing the league as being soft on partner abuse that did it. Once he saw it was a negative business decision, he changed the policy so the issue could fade before the season actually began.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now, this will get interesting. 6 games and at least a year for #2! I love it. If that doesn't make these guys behave and treat a lady like a lady, then nothing will.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Hope he gets the A Smith decision right! Oh wait, it's a 9r's player! Probably won't.:(

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Goodell buries anything that might tarnish the integrity of the league. All you have to do is look back to the Patriots tapes of practices and walkthroughs that were destroyed.

The people hate him, but he works for the owners...and he does a good job at protecting their investments. Love him or hate him, he knows how to protect his "shareholders" interests.

Well the new tapes are out. Scary to think this new tape has been out there so long.
I actually heard on Boston local radio this morning that there is more on the tape that he does not want to get out. Or there is another tape, something along those lines. He even said, Goodell was going to try to bury this. This might be the first step in trying to get in front of the herd so people will focus on football and not Ray Rice.

I wish I knew who the reporter was that day. He nailed this.

Alan

Legend
Prime Time setting appropriate limits:
And yes I do have a sense of humor but not when it comes to domestic abuse.
Thank you PT.

And for me, those limits would include joking about people finally being able to get health care for themselves and their families. That's a question of life or death for many. I say that as just another member of this community and not as a mod but I hope that my friends here will keep in mind that there are limits to what's in good taste. Common sense should be the rule of the day IMO.