Goodell apologizes for Ray Rice decision

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...dell-apologizes-for-decision-in-ray-rice-case

"At times, however, and despite our best efforts, we fall short of our goals," Goodell wrote. "We clearly did so in response to a recent incident of domestic violence. We allowed our standards to fall below where they should be and lost an important opportunity to emphasize our strong stance on a critical issue and the effective programs we have in place. My disciplinary decision led the public to question our sincerity, our commitment, and whether we understood the toll that domestic violence inflicts on so many families. I take responsibility both for the decision and for ensuring that our actions in the future properly reflect our values. I didn't get it right. Simply put, we have to do better. And we will."

A lot of people who were so outraged at Rice's suspension will probably never even hear about this, but I have to commend Goodell here. It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. Most are just too stubborn to acknowledge when they messed up, let alone actually do something about it.

jjab360

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Then take steps to put it right.
In the detailed letter, Goodell announced that violations of the Personal Conduct Policy regarding assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involve physical force "will be subject to a suspension without pay of six games for a first offense." A second offense will result in banishment from the NFL for at least one year. An individual can petition for reinstatement after one year, but "there will be no presumption or assurance that the petition will be granted."

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I actually heard on Boston local radio this morning that there is more on the tape that he does not want to get out. Or there is another tape, something along those lines. He even said, Goodell was going to try to bury this. This might be the first step in trying to get in front of the herd so people will focus on football and not Ray Rice.

So what's stoping him from applying that to Rice? If he recognises he's made a mistake, then put that mistake right rather than waiting for the next person to do something.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what's stoping him from applying that to Rice? If he recognises he's made a mistake, then put that mistake right rather than waiting for the next person to do something.

I would think that changing the penalty for the worse that has already been imposed on a player would open up a whole different can of worms, and would get the NFLPA involved - and for good reason. OTOH, if Rice is involved in domestic violence again, it would be a year's suspension at least.

I would think that changing the penalty for the worse that has already been imposed on a player would open up a whole different can of worms, and would get the NFLPA involved - and for good reason. OTOH, if Rice is involved in domestic violence again, it would be a year's suspension at least.

Apply, the 6 game ban, let the NFLPA argue that players shouldn't get that level of a ban and watch the public outrage at the NFLPA :popcorn:. The headlines write themselves "NFLPA in favour of domestic violence" and so on.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ah, but the issue is retroactive justice - it'd go to an arbitrator, who almost certainly would reverse the penalty. That would keep it in the news longer, and give the league more bad publicity. Goodell wants it to go away so the league can grow even more revenues. Your solution wouldn't please the league owners or their accountants.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Agreed but it would be a second offense and as per a report on Sirius second offense is lifetime ban

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
According to the article, a second offense is only a year suspension.

They can appeal to be allowed back in after a year - but Goodell made it clear that the decision would be on a case by case basis - not a sure thing.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter

The relative unfairness with which the American public would view an ex post facto decision, that has been engrained in our understanding of judiciary decisions, even non government, corporate decisions, since Article IX, Section I of the Constitution was written.

People in America don't like when folks gets punished for rules that are made after the sentencing.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
@Legatron4 - this is the second time today I've deleted a sentence like the one you posted. Even in blue font it's inappropriate. And yes I do have a sense of humor but not when it comes to domestic abuse.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I actually heard on Boston local radio this morning that there is more on the tape that he does not want to get out. Or there is another tape, something along those lines. He even said, Goodell was going to try to bury this. This might be the first step in trying to get in front of the herd so people will focus on football and not Ray Rice.

Goodell buries anything that might tarnish the integrity of the league. All you have to do is look back to the Patriots tapes of practices and walkthroughs that were destroyed.

The people hate him, but he works for the owners...and he does a good job at protecting their investments. Love him or hate him, he knows how to protect his "shareholders" interests.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Then take steps to put it right.

No, that's a form of double jeopardy and that's pretty low to bring the topic back. They have ruled, its over, and that's how it should be.

I respect Goodell a lot for coming out on this and saying he was wrong.

I wish all the anti-Obama party would do the same, unrelated.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...dell-apologizes-for-decision-in-ray-rice-case

A lot of people who were so outraged at Rice's suspension will probably never even hear about this, but I have to commend Goodell here. It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. Most are just too stubborn to acknowledge when they messed up, let alone actually do something about it.
nah he's just sorry he's getting so much shit for it. he spent a lot of time before he made a decision the first time. the ship has sailed for this guy. he's an asshole. doesn't take a college degree to know a 1 year suspension for smoking bud and a 2 game suspension for beating a woman to unconsciousness is a sick joke

jjab360

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
nah he's just sorry he's getting so much crap for it. he spent a lot of time before he made a decision the first time. the ship has sailed for this guy. he's an arsehole. doesn't take a college degree to know a 1 year suspension for smoking bud and a 2 game suspension for beating a woman to unconsciousness is a sick joke
To be fair, the year suspension came after multiple offenses and a DUI, Rice was a first time offender with an otherwise perfect record. Goodell made a mistake and owned up to it, but I guess some people are going to oppose no matter what..

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
To be fair, the year suspension came after multiple offenses and a DUI, Rice was a first time offender with an otherwise perfect record. Goodell made a mistake and owned up to it, but I guess some people are going to oppose no matter what..

I still want to know what he and his wife said to Goodell when they met with him. I think that played a big part in the fact that he got only two games.