Good Q & A with Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BEN FREDERICKSON
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/nfl/st-louis-rams/story/QA-Jeff-Fisher-talks-charity-softball-up?blockID=908529&feedID=4218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/nfl/st- ... eedID=4218</a>

787203.jpg

ST. LOUIS — Following the St. Louis Rams' organized team activities on Tuesday, Rams coach Jeff Fisher sat down with FOX Sports Midwest to chat about his upcoming charity softball game, along with the most-pressing questions surrounding his team as it heads into the second season with Fisher at the helm.

This Sunday evening, you will be on a softball field in Sauget, Ill., for your annual charity event, the Coach Fisher & Friends Celebrity Softball Game. Are you ready?

"I'm really excited about it. We did it for 11 years down in Nashville. We raised a lot of money, and had a lot of fun. It's an opportunity for fans to see the players firsthand, without helmets on, and get autographs. I had an option, years ago, to do something. Instead of a classic golf tournament, I wanted to do something different. It took well in Nashville, and we are hoping to do the same here for a number of years. We've got some very worthwhile, needy charities that are going to benefit from it. At the end of the day, everybody has fun. Players have fun, my team wins, and we raise a lot of money. It's really fun to watch these guys compete, to see how athletic they are. Nine out of 10 are really good softball players. And then one out of 10 is just absolutely horrible. And we will have awards for both at the end."

Is Tavon Austin as exciting as advertised?

"Yeah. He's very smart. He's got tremendous football instincts. It's important to him. He knows how to put the time in, and he's doing great. We are moving him around in the offense a little bit now. We are asking some different things of him, which we knew we could do. So far he has done them, and done them very well."

Sam Bradford says it his his responsibility to fill any void in team leadership that was created when Steven Jackson left the team. Have you noticed that taking place?

"With Sam, it just comes natural. At the position, when you're entering your fourth year, it's natural. It's been like that pretty much through halfway through the season last year, and throughout the offseason. It's shaping up well for him."

Is it fair to say that, right now, the backfield is the biggest question mark on your offense? What are your expectations for a group that includes second-year players Isaiah Pead and Darryl Richardson, along with rookie Zac Stacy?

"I wouldn't say a question mark. There's competition. One of the guys — one, or two, or maybe even three — competing right now are going to end up playing in ball games. We're not just going to have a one-man rotation thing where we give one guy the job, and let the others watch. They all have different skills, so we plan on using them differently."

When the Rams signed former Miami Dolphins left tackle Jake Long, Roger Saffold was switched from left tackle to right. How difficult is that, and what goes into a player bouncing from one side of the line to the other?

"It's just a matter of getting the snaps over there, and getting comfortable. It's not difficult, when you talk about someone who is athletic as Roger is. He's handling things fine over there. Football is football. I think he's going to be an outstanding right tackle."

What changes will fans notice from a defense led by first-year defensive coordinator Tim Walton?

"I don't think there will be much to notice, because it's still our defense. We've cleaned some things up terminology-wise, so it makes more sense. But, we are going to continue to do a lot of the things we did last year. So far, it's going well. We are going to challenge people, and take advantage of the strengths that we have up front. I'm excited about [Rams rookie linebacker] Alec Ogletree, where he is at right now in his development. He's an outstanding player who is going to make plays."

The Rams now have two players [running back Isaiah Pead and offensive lineman Rokevious Watkins] who have been suspended for the first game of the upcoming season due to violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Is this a concern for you, and how are you addressing it?

"It [Pead's suspension] doesn't come as a surprise. We have been aware of the situation since last summer. We — in a lot of ways — addressed it last summer when the issue took place, knowing this would probably the result. This thing has taken a long time. In a lot of ways, Isaiah has put this behind him. He's learned from his choices, and I don't expect it to happen again. I think we can use it as an example. Now, with respect to Rokevious, I still respectfully disagree with that decision to suspend him, and the circumstances regarding it. But we have no choice. The league is standing behind that decision. This stuff about lack of discipline in the football team, I made the choice to sit the other two players [Fisher suspended cornerback Janoris Jenkins and wide receiver Chris Givens for one game last season, citing a violation of team rules]. They didn't break any laws, or anything like that. Those were club rules. We have the opportunity to discipline our players outside of the league. With that being said, as far as I'm concerned, we've had, basically, one major issue. It was a one-game suspension, and he's learned from it."

News broke today that Los Angeles Rams great Deacon Jones, the Hall of Fame defensive credited with coining the term 'sack' died at age 74. Had you met Jones, and what was his impact on the game?

"I had met him on numerous occasions over the years. I grew up as a Rams fan in LA, and watched the Fearsome Foursome. I was honored to meet him for the first time when I was in my early years as a head coach. I met him at a function, and got to spend a lot of time with him. He was a classic. There was nobody like him. He will truly be missed. You talk about living life with a passion and a purpose. That's what he was all about."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So pead was in the doghouse before preseason even started last season. It certainly sheds some light on his woes trying to crack the rb rotation at the beginning of the season.

Fresh start this season. He has to make the most of it.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Re: Good Q & A with Jeff Fisher

I grew up in LA as a Rams fan!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Good Q & A with Jeff Fisher

PressureD41 said:

Yeah that was pretty cool.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
What changes will fans notice from a defense led by first-year defensive coordinator Tim Walton?

"I don't think there will be much to notice, because it's still our defense. We've cleaned some things up terminology-wise, so it makes more sense. But, we are going to continue to do a lot of the things we did last year. So far, it's going well. We are going to challenge people, and take advantage of the strengths that we have up front. I'm excited about [Rams rookie linebacker] Alec Ogletree, where he is at right now in his development. He's an outstanding player who is going to make plays."

Haha.....in other words look out opposing QB's.

With AO's speed I expect to see him in the backfield causing a general assache for QB's so it's going to be worse for them than it was last year.

Maybe Shane's prediction comes true. I'd like to see the improvements come against RW and CK just for good measure.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I'm kinda glad they're so hush-hush about the suspensions and circumstances about breaking club rules, but it's also weird to think what Rok was suspended for that Fisher wouldn't agree with. I guess it can be pretty minor, considering even Adderall is banned, so hopefully our other rookies know about this stuff so this doesn't keep happening.

nighttrain

Legend
kurtfaulk said:

So pead was in the doghouse before preseason even started last season. It certainly sheds some light on his woes trying to crack the rb rotation at the beginning of the season.

A lot easier to understand his depression, he pretty much did himself in last season. Hopefully Fisher has it right and he learned from his mistake. I still think he has the most talent of out RB corps
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
nighttrain said:
kurtfaulk said:

A lot easier to understand his depression, he pretty much did himself in last season. Hopefully Fisher has it right and he learned from his mistake. I still think he has the most talent of out RB corps
train

He has the most ability. But it kinda irks me that he moped for an entire season rather than trying to get on the field. It strikes me as having an attitude, and yes one can overcome that......but that's a long time to mope. We're talking months. That's a charachter indicator......and I hope the coaches get him over it because I agree he has talent. And we need someone to emerge from those three guys that can deliver.

I also wonder why they spent another draft pick on the position and that makes me raise an eyebrow.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
PressureD41 said:

One of the reasons I really thought he was going to pick the Rams over the fins. The guy grew up as a Ram fan. It just seemed too ideal for him to pass as long as Stan did his part - which he obviously has.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Fisher said:
"... It's really fun to watch these guys compete, to see how athletic they are. Nine out of 10 are really good softball players. And then one out of 10 is just absolutely horrible. And we will have awards for both at the end."
Does anyone else imagine that sly smile on Fisher's face at the end of this quote?
LesBaker said:
I also wonder why they spent another draft pick on the position and that makes me raise an eyebrow.
That's no mystery. Ganaway didn't get any PT at RB last year. Stacy has a similar running style, if not the same stature. As Fisher said, all their RBs have different skill sets. Stacy is the tough yards type that Jackson was for this team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
+ I think that when you move up like that, it's because he was the best player on your board by a long shot.

nighttrain

Legend
LesBaker said:
nighttrain said:
kurtfaulk said:

train

He has the most ability. But it kinda irks me that he moped for an entire season rather than trying to get on the field. It strikes me as having an attitude, and yes one can overcome that......but that's a long time to mope. We're talking months. That's a charachter indicator......and I hope the coaches get him over it because I agree he has talent. And we need someone to emerge from those three guys that can deliver.

A fifth rounder not a huge risk or loss if he doesn't prove out, but I think as Fisher has said, all will be used, particularly at first.
train