Good news for neurotics - You may be a creative genius

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
My wife says I'm a bit neurotic but while I'm a decent song writer and musician, I'm not a creative genius. So I get the neurotic tendencies without the side benefit of genius. :(
********************************************************************************
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...be-creative-geniuses-study-says-10475455.html

Moody neurotics are more likely to be creative geniuses, study says
JOHN VON RADOWITZ
It could explain why so many original thinkers suffered for their art

Woody-Allen-Getty.jpg

If you are a tense and moody neurotic, take heart – you could also be a creative genius, as a new study backs up the belief that neurotic misery and imagination go hand in hand.

It could explain why so many original thinkers, such as the famously neurotic artist Vincent van Gogh, the film-maker Woody Allen or scientist Sir Isaac Newton, suffered for their art. What such individuals have in common is a brain more sensitive to perceived threats than those of other people. And that “panic button” tendency is closely linked to an overactive, threat-generating imagination, say psychologists.

The personality expert Dr Adam Perkins, from King’s College London, said: “We’re still a long way off from fully explaining neuroticism ... but we hope our new theory will help people make sense of their own experiences, and show that although being highly neurotic is by definition unpleasant, it also has creative benefits.

“Hopefully our theory will also stimulate new research as it provides us with a straightforward unifying framework to tie together the creative aspects of neuroticism with its emotional aspects.”

Neuroticism is one of the “big five” personality traits recognised by psychologists, along with openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, and agreeableness. It is characterised by negative emotions such as anxiety, fear, worry, frustration, envy and loneliness.

Support for the idea that neuroticism is associated with creativity has come from brain scan studies highlighting neural circuits that regulate self-generated thought.

A “panic button” in the amygdala, a key emotional centre in the brain, is believed to trigger an inappropriate fear response after perceived threats are conjured up in the brain’s medial prefrontal cortex. “High scorers on neuroticism have a highly active imagination, which acts as a built-in threat generator,” said Dr Perkins.

Activity in the medial prefrontal cortex is also a powerful creative force, say the researchers, who explain their theory in the journal Trends in Cognitive Sciences.

Press Association

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
That's something that's been known for a while, but it's interesting nonetheless. It kind of goes along with the stereotype of the brooding artist, like a Leonardo DaVinci or a Van Gogh.

fearsomefour

Legend
Nuerotic==OCD==moody artist.
It's all linked for sure I think. Being able to hyper focus on something.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In my late 20's once the drinking and drugging ended, I had a fear that I would no longer be able to write songs and be a good musician because everything previously had been created by artificial stimulants and emotional pain. I was wrong.

Maybe this explains why so many musicians either die prematurely or live miserable lives. They have a false conception of what triggers their creativity and a fear they will not be able to do what they once did if they're sober, clean, and happy.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
So what do you call someone that exhibits all of the "big five" personality traits? I fear I may be fucked up.:confused:

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I think I'm more in the schitzo-manic-depression camp. But hey, we can be a creative lot as well!!!