Good for Gurley: Browns rank last against the run/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Good for Gurley: Browns rank last against the run
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c08c9ae6-71c9-5555-9571-ba420ecbfac6.html

On Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome, Rams running back Todd Gurley can become only the second rookie in NFL history to rush for 140 or more yards in three consecutive games.

At face value, the visiting Cleveland Browns look like the perfect candidate to help Gurley get there, joining Pro Football Hall of Famer and one-time Ram Eric Dickerson.

The Browns rank 32nd, or dead last, in the NFL in run defense, allowing 149.8 yards per game. And they’re next to last in yards allowed per carry (5.0). With the exception of San Diego, every Browns opponent so far this season has gained at least 152 yards on the ground against them.

And here’s the thing. It’s not as if the Browns have gone up against the league’s top rushing teams every week. Yes, the New York Jets rank first in NFL rushing offense. But as for the rest of Cleveland’s foes this season: Baltimore is 15th, Tennessee 16th, Oakland 27th, San Diego 29th, and Denver 30th in rushing offense.

The Broncos had topped 70 yards rushing in a game only once all season until last week’s 26-23 overtime victory at Cleveland when Ronnie Hillman gained 111 yards and Denver had 152 as a team.

Now comes Gurley, the new kid on the block in terms of star NFL running backs. He has rushed for a total of 305 yards his last two contests and is looking forward to the first home start of his NFL career in Sunday’s noon kickoff.

So it doesn’t take Vince Lombardi to figure out the biggest challenge facing Cleveland (2-4) this week. It’s about as blunt as a Gurley stiff-arm.

“Offensively, I don’t think you have to go any further than the run game with Gurley,” Browns coach Mike Pettine said. “That’s a significant challenge. I think our struggles against the run have been well-documented.

“So it’s very clear to us. It’s their strength, the Rams’ strength, vs. our weakness. We’re expecting a lot of run. Gurley is as advertised. We had a very high grade on him coming out of the draft, and he’s certainly lived up to the hype. He’s playing at a very high level.”

The Rams selected Gurley at No. 10 overall in the draft last spring; Cleveland was up two picks later at No. 12 overall. Had the Rams gone in another direction at No. 10, would the Browns have taken Gurley?

“I don’t remember exactly how we had it stacked, but had he been available it certainly would’ve been in the discussion,” Pettine told St. Louis reporters on a conference call.

If nothing else, the Browns will get an up-close look at what might have been. With Gurley off the board, they selected 339-pound defensive tackle Danny Shelton out of Washington at No. 12. The Shelton pick made sense because Cleveland’s problems stopping the run didn’t just crop up this season. The Browns also were last in the league in run defense in 2014.

Shelton has come under some criticism this season. He has been a part-time player and hasn’t been a disruptive force in the middle so far with 14 tackles and one tackle for loss.

“He’s been inconsistent,” Pettine said. “I think he’s played well some games. Other games, he’s left some plays out there. But overall, we’re pleased with where he is. There’s a learning curve there for NFL defensive linemen.”

But the real problem for the Browns’ run defense in 2015 has been on the perimeter. Their front seven can’t seem to consistently hold the edges. They have been susceptible to stretch plays that work their way outside.

With more zone-blocking concepts in their run-game scheme this season, the Rams have those types of plays in their arsenal.

Even though all signs point to this being a favorable matchup, the Rams are showing Cleveland’s defense the utmost respect this week. Rams coach Jeff Fisher, for one, thinks the Browns’ No. 32-ranking in run defense is deceiving.

“They’ll be good 19 times out of 20,” he said. “Then, the last, the 20th attempt will go for 40 (yards). So that’s how it’s gone against them.”

As for Shelton, Fisher said: “The big man from Washington is a load. Inside, he’s a penetrator. He’s going to be a tough matchup for our interior three.”

But surely the Rams have seen some things on film they can exploit, right?

“Well, you’d like to think as you game plan there are things that could give you an advantage,” offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti said. “But once again, this is the National Football League. Every Sunday is a challenge. They’re an excellent defense.”

As for Gurley, he may be privately licking his chops at a chance to get after the Browns’ defense. He may want to greet them at Lambert Airport on Saturday, make sure their hotel accommodations are satisfactory.

But he’s savvy enough to know that a ranking never made a tackle, or clogged the line of scrimmage, or stacked the box with an extra defender or two. The Browns will be highly-motivated to shut him down and make the Rams’ passing game, which stumbled badly against Green Bay, beat them.

“Those type of things sound good,” Gurley said of the Browns’ ranking. “But at the end of the day when Sunday hits and it’s time to get on the field, it’s all about executing and not letting that man across from you beat you.

“So those guys can come Sunday and play like they’re the No. 1 defense. Those guys had a great game last week against the Broncos in overtime. So I never really look at the ranking.”
===================

ohiorams

Rookie
The Saints D is last in lots of things too...and look what happened to Atlanta

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I hope a bunch of folks aren't in for a let down if they see it as a given that Todd goes for 140+ simply because the Browns look statistically primed to allow it I would love to see it and I hope he goes for more than that...But how many times does weird stuff happen ???...

jap

Legend
Statistics are records of the past: they show trends: they are not! reliable prognosticators of the future. It is very unfortunate that so many misuse statistics as a predictive tool. We are only 5-6 games into the season. Just as we hope the Horns get their offense together for this game, the Browns are trying to get their defense together as well.

TGII has his head screwed on correctly. As he indicated, if the Browns are successful stacking the box against him, it should mean a big day for the Horns' passing game.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...r-reports-expert-consensus-projections/page/5

Biggest Mismatch
hi-res-d91577793904e06daeacfd158f1e0b98_crop_north.jpg

Jeff Haynes/Associated Press

Expert Consensus Pick: Todd Gurley vs. Cleveland Browns run defense—five votes.

The Browns have allowed an astonishing 149.8 rushing yards per game this season. Not only is that the worst overall total, but their per-carry average allowed of 5.0 yards is second-worst. They aren't just facing teams who run a lot; they're making every back they see look like Jim Brown.

What happens when rookie sensation Todd Gurley—who is averaging a stonking 5.7 yards per carry—gets to tee off on the league's softest run defense?

You get the week's biggest mismatch, say five of our NFL writers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Lets hope that the overstocked LOS will provide Foles the opportunity to get his grove back & make better decisions where he places that aired football.

The running game with Gurley, Cunningham & Watts should be very effective as these articles point our but lets hope to get Foles settled back down and feeling more confident in his OL pass blocking....where my real concerns :notsure: are.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I hope a bunch of folks aren't in for a let down if they see it as a given that Todd goes for 140+ simply because the Browns look statistically primed to allow it I would love to see it and I hope he goes for more than that...But how many times does weird stuff happen ???...

With this team? So often that I am not sure you can even call it weird anymore. It is the new normal for this organization.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...r-reports-expert-consensus-projections/page/5

Biggest Mismatch
hi-res-d91577793904e06daeacfd158f1e0b98_crop_north.jpg

Jeff Haynes/Associated Press

Expert Consensus Pick: Todd Gurley vs. Cleveland Browns run defense—five votes.

The Browns have allowed an astonishing 149.8 rushing yards per game this season. Not only is that the worst overall total, but their per-carry average allowed of 5.0 yards is second-worst. They aren't just facing teams who run a lot; they're making every back they see look like Jim Brown.

What happens when rookie sensation Todd Gurley—who is averaging a stonking 5.7 yards per carry—gets to tee off on the league's softest run defense?

You get the week's biggest mismatch, say five of our NFL writers.
5 out of how many!?!

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
The Saints D is last in lots of things too...and look what happened to Atlanta

exactly. any given Sunday.

I hate these "oh man this is a PERFECT matchup" articles. That's all we keep hearing is that the Browns are dead last against the run and Gurley should run for 150 no problem

just like "we should beat the Redskins easily" and "Rodgers never throws an interception at home" :whistle:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
exactly. any given Sunday.

I hate these "oh man this is a PERFECT matchup" articles. That's all we keep hearing is that the Browns are dead last against the run and Gurley should run for 150 no problem

just like "we should beat the Redskins easily" and "Rodgers never throws an interception at home" :whistle:
Yes! " Shit happens EVERY Sunday!:LOL: That why they have to play the games!! While we sit on the edge of our seats!!

upload_2015-6-24_14-27-1.jpeg
thumb-up.jpg