Good Breer Piece On McVay (NEW)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BrooklynRam

Rookie
Sean McVay explains why he returned to Rams instead of TV job - Sports Illustrated

Some good tidbits. Staff and Kupp DEMANDED he stay.
Allen Robinson had a verbal commitment with another team before we swooped in.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think McVay is very driven and very competitive.
I think he can see some potential resume history building as well.....let say, 2 Super Bowl Titles before the age of 40.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Almost half that article was Rams material. What a great read. :clinkingbeer:

Some thought provoking comments in there by McVay. I don't think he's the greatest play designer or caller out there by any means, he's really good but I believe his strength is his ability to get all eleven playing hard and fast and with confidence. He straight gets the most from dudes. That's a rare gift in this league but he's also at the top of his game in many of the decision making matrixes that run a head coach's existence, from practice sched and who is rested to ensuring his coaching staff is engaged and all on the same page.

Anyway I just feel fortunate to be a Rams fan after reading that. I certainly appreciate everything he and everyone involved in this team are doing to deliver great content. It's a tough league, a competitive league. It's not easy to do what he has done.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Almost half that article was Rams material. What a great read. :clinkingbeer:

Some thought provoking comments in there by McVay. I don't think he's the greatest play designer or caller out there by any means, he's really good but I believe his strength is his ability to get all eleven playing hard and fast and with confidence. He straight gets the most from dudes. That's a rare gift in this league but he's also at the top of his game in many of the decision making matrixes that run a head coach's existence, from practice sched and who is rested to ensuring his coaching staff is engaged and all on the same page.

Anyway I just feel fortunate to be a Rams fan after reading that. I certainly appreciate everything he and everyone involved in this team are doing to deliver great content. It's a tough league, a competitive league. It's not easy to do what he has done.
decision making matrixes? Dude, are you certain you weren't a fly boi in the air force?

"Indubitably" ~ @den-the-coach

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Excellent read, confirms more about McVay, positive leadership, desire, understanding how to grow people.

All things that every business and anyone in a leadership role should embrace.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lots of tid bits in there;

This was cool:

what made the Super Bowl so special, for him, was that on that Rams team, “everybody wanted it more for somebody else other than themselves.”

I did not know this:

“Like I’d told you, Albert, I had lost my way a little bit in the ’19 and the ’20 seasons. You forget about why you love coaching so much.”

Kupp and Stafford recruited Robinson:

So the quarterback and his star receiver went to McVay not just looking for reinforcements, but with a specific target in mind—Allen Robinson. The Bears’ free agent was in-division with Stafford for years, and was a bigger target, similar to some of the best receivers Stafford played with in Detroit.

I did not like reading this:

Second, my feeling is there’s a likelihood that McVay’s own longevity as Rams coach is tied to that group [Donald, Kupp, Stafford]. When they start to filter out of the league, it’d create the natural point for McVay

Other stuff too. Good find/read @BrooklynRam (y)

MachS

Hall of Fame
Kupp and Stafford recruited Robinson:

So the quarterback and his star receiver went to McVay not just looking for reinforcements, but with a specific target in mind—Allen Robinson. The Bears’ free agent was in-division with Stafford for years, and was a bigger target, similar to some of the best receivers Stafford played with in Detroit.
Recruited him with Woods still on the roster, and OBJ a legit possibility to come back on a new deal once healthy. That's pretty interesting, maybe they both knew Woods wasn't an ideal fit with Stafford.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Recruited him with Woods still on the roster, and OBJ a legit possibility to come back on a new deal once healthy. That's pretty interesting, maybe they both knew Woods wasn't an ideal fit with Stafford.
The first time I read it, I thought the same as you. But upon reading it again, it clearly states that Woods' departure was a done deal BEFORE they approached McVay. There is no way in HECk Staff and Kupp would ask to replace Woody! We should really know better no matter what anyone says.

But for them to scour the FA market and specifically target ARIII, well...let's say it has to be clearly a better fit than LeBron wanting Westbrooks.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The first time I read it, I thought the same as you. But upon reading it again, it clearly states that Woods' departure was a done deal BEFORE they approached McVay. There is no way in HECk Staff and Kupp would ask to replace Woody! We should really know better no matter what anyone says.

But for them to scour the FA market and specifically target ARIII, well...let's say it has to be clearly a better fit than LeBron wanting Westbrooks.
I'm just curious what the hell the plan was at WR if they traded away Woods and didn't sign Robinson. Were they just okay with risking it or do they believe in somebody so much that they thought they wouldn't miss Woods?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wonder who AR verbally committed to. Inquiring minds want to know.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've said it repeatedly, and believe it. McVay will stay as long as Stafford is his QB. His admission that "he lost his way in '19 and '20 is what I pointed to repeatedly in the Goff trade. Am I happy the trade was made? Absolutely, but in my opinion, Goff took the blame for bad decisions by McVay starting with believing Kromer and thinking dismantling the OL in 2019 was fine. McVay has his flaws but at least he's man enough to admit them after the fact.

But what IMO is clear is that the comfort level he has with Stafford is exactly what he wants. A QB that doesn't have to be developed or coached up. Stafford is the key. As long as Stafford plays that is how long McVay will coach.

oldnotdead

Legend
That said Snead is the key to keeping the Rams a Super Bowl contender. As long as he is GM this team will have the talent to keep it in Super Bowl contention.