Gonzalez: Todd Gurley wanted another chance with Rams RB coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
upload_2017-2-14_20-5-19.png

Todd Gurley gained only 885 yards on 278 carries last season. Kelvin Kuo/USA TODAY Sports
Todd Gurley wanted another chance with Rams RB coach

By Alden Gonzalez

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay was in the process of putting together his coaching staff and was getting ready to sit down with the incumbent running backs coach, Skip Peete, when he got a call from an unrecognized North Carolina phone number. It was Todd Gurley. He wanted Peete back. He wanted another chance to work with him.

McVay obliged.

"When you've got a key player like that," McVay said, "I think you want to be able to try to demonstrate that you’re going to listen to your players. Their opinion matters."

Peete inherited Gurley as the reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year. He finished that 2015 season with 1,106 rushing yards -- third in the NFL -- despite coming off the torn ACL he suffered at Georgia and starting only 12 games. But Gurley dropped off considerably in 2016, gaining only 885 yards (lowest ever for a running back with more than 275 carries) and averaging only 3.18 rushing yards per attempt (41st among 42 qualified running backs in 2016).

Peete pointed to frequent miscommunication between Gurley and the offensive line, something young guard Jamon Brown alluded to the day after the season.

"Everybody has to be cohesive and be on the same page," said Peete, heading into his second season with the Rams. "The key is the timing of the block, you as the runner setting the front for the linemen, so when they come off the double team, the back is in a certain position so he can come off the block. You can’t predetermine and say, ‘OK, I’m going to make it look like I’m going to do this, and then I’m going to go over here.’ It’s got to naturally happen that way; you can’t predetermine. It’s kind of a combination between all of that."

Gurley ascended quickly, totaling 566 rushing yards in the first four starts of his NFL career. But then defenses began to pick up on his tendencies and game-planned around stopping him, and the Rams were never able to adjust. Gurley has now rushed below 100 yards in 23 of his past 24 games. This past season, he broke off runs of 20 or more yards only two times, 10 fewer than in 2015.

When holes didn't open up early, Peete noticed Gurley getting impatient and going away from the playcall.

"He started changing what he was trying to do," Peete said. "The most important thing, like we talked about, is you have to have total confidence in the scheme of the play."

Those who don't contribute on special teams typically get together with their position coach during special teams meetings, so Gurley and Peete spent a lot of alone time this season. Peete talked to Gurley about how fleeting success can be in the NFL. He preached patience with his runs, and he told Gurley that sometimes failure can be a blessing.

"I think sometimes he pressed, and he wanted to make more things happen," Peete said. "Sometimes it worked out, and sometimes it didn’t. But he is a very talented runner. He has good run instincts and runs with good balance."

Gurley was called on to do a lot more in his second year, as expected. He was utilized far more frequently in the passing game, targeted more than twice as many times. He received 67 of his carries with the quarterback operating out of the shotgun, 60 more than he did as a rookie, which can be a major adjustment for downhill runners like Gurley. And he was on the field for 711 offensive snaps, fourth-most among running backs.

Peete believes that might have taken a toll and suggested it might be better to limit his workload once again.

Asked to identify the biggest thing Gurley needs to correct, Peete smiled.

"This is going to blow your mind," he said. "It has nothing to do with the running game. I think the most important thing in this league, as far as a running back is concerned, is his ability to pass protect, whether it’s first or second down. Because they think it’s easy. They’ve all come into the league comfortable as a runner. But that aspect of it is a little bit different than you’re accustomed to coming out of college. He and I talk about that all the time -- your ability to completely understand the blocking scheme, whether it’s run or pass."

Peete has spent 18 years coaching NFL running backs, making prior stops with the Raiders, Cowboys and Bears. He usually starts his end-of-season meetings by putting the onus on the player and asking them what they believe they could have done better. Peete asked the same of Gurley at the end of his disappointing 2016 season.

"He had a long list," Peete said.

Gurley talked about becoming more patient in the running game, becoming more disciplined with his footwork and becoming more physical in pass protection, all music to Peete's ears.

"He was very disappointed in the season and in himself," Peete said. "Very prideful guy. Works hard, understands what he needs to do in order to get himself prepared to play. But like I always tell young players, sometimes you’re not necessarily sure if that’s true, what you think. What you think you’re fine at, you might not be truly fine at. You still need to fine-tune some things."

[www.espn.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's be honest here, it would have been very easy for Gurley to blame his position coach, hell most of us did including yours truly, but Gurley showing character and going to bat for Peete showcasing it was not his fault and was more on Gurley.

Overall Peete did have a fine resume and the fact he had worked with Kromer in Chicago and with Wade Phillips in Dallas (when he was Head Coach) I'm sure aided in the equation, but I am looking forward to a huge comeback year for Gurley and under McVay not only running, but also catching the football.

SanAnRam

Just an educated redneck
Everybody has to be cohesive and be on the same page," said Peete, heading into his second season with the Rams. "The key is the timing of the block, you as the runner setting the front for the linemen, so when they come off the double team, the back is in a certain position so he can come off the block. You can’t predetermine and say, ‘OK, I’m going to make it look like I’m going to do this, and then I’m going to go over here.’ It’s got to naturally happen that way; you can’t predetermine. It’s kind of a combination between all of that."

I'm sorry, but WTF??

Can someone translate?

jap

Legend
Stay tuned for the upcoming 2017 Sunday Afternoon Special this coming fall: The Return of the Gurley Express - The Assault on the 2000 Yard Plateau, at a TV/video stream near you.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sorry, but WTF??

Can someone translate?

In essence sometimes the running back needs to read the block of his linemen and not just run to the hole and hope that it is there. Running plays are designed to go in certain areas, however, the running back must have the ability to read his blocks and at times when is designed to go off tackle for example, if he reads the guard right take the play inside as opposed to outside.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I am looking forward to a huge comeback year for Gurley and under McVay not only running, but also catching the football.
I agree, especially at catching. Gurley actually looked good this season as a receiver. Doubled his receptions, almost doubled his yards, 5 receptions of 20+ yards, 15 1st Downs. Peete probably wants Gurley to improve his pass pro so Gurley could be in an all three downs, which would also make Gurley a more effective player.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I sure hope things work out. Todd has lost his timing and instinct. He needs to get out of his head and run with his gut...no time to think. The OL play was dismal and Todd didn't help to take advantage when the lanes were there. Seasons like last year are very difficult to overcome for RB's. They are rhythm players and it is not always easy to get back on beat. He has to much talent to not be able to get back to form. I sure hope Todd puts it behind him. Lets get the Gurley train going it is an absolute must to be successful.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Everybody has to be cohesive and be on the same page," said Peete, heading into his second season with the Rams. "The key is the timing of the block, you as the runner setting the front for the linemen, so when they come off the double team, the back is in a certain position so he can come off the block. You can’t predetermine and say, ‘OK, I’m going to make it look like I’m going to do this, and then I’m going to go over here.’ It’s got to naturally happen that way; you can’t predetermine. It’s kind of a combination between all of that."

I'm sorry, but WTF??

Can someone translate?
Just like Den the coach says...Read the hole...read your blocks....read your keys...Every play may be meant to go one way, but the defense will dictate that you change where & when you cut up in there. The line also needs to get more in tune...but Gurley needs to help them.

The 3 linemen I think really have a chance with Croomer are Robinson, Saffol, and Jamon Brown...

I like how Gurley saved Pete's job....I wonder could Britt have saved Groh's? Could Saffold have saved Boudreau's?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think running the ball under center is going to help out a lot 60 more runs from shotgun then last year is very telling. Part of that was Goff comfort level taking snaps under center but I think once we get back to that he will be fine I'm not worried about Gurley 1 bit. This team can right the ship fairly quickly but everything is riding on Goff

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
So what do you think Gurleys strength on running plays were, taking a running play with a 5-7 yard drop with Goff under center or taking a hand off from Goff in the pistol formation.
To me from the couch it seems like the best position is with Gurley getting the ball from Goff from under center because I think he can get more time to see the play develop and also more time to see a blitz to develop if he stays in for pass protect or for a delay draw or a screen pass

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In essence sometimes the running back needs to read the block of his linemen and not just run to the hole and hope that it is there. Running plays are designed to go in certain areas, however, the running back must have the ability to read his blocks and at times when is designed to go off tackle for example, if he reads the guard right take the play inside as opposed to outside.

That's why Gurley kept running up the middle when there was no hole, but the outside was wide open. I often wonder if he was spoiled by Georgia's dominant run blocking in college. The holes were always where they were supposed to be against most teams.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I like how Gurley saved Pete's job....I wonder could Britt have saved Groh's? Could Saffold have saved Boudreau's?

I doubt it, especially if the rumors of the Rams being willing to part with Britt are true. I think McVay, being the passing guru he is, and former WR coach, knew who he wanted there before he got the offer. He was likely more open to the running back coach, and Gurley being a blue chip player helped.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

This ^ completely. A lot of it is the quality of the O-line but Gurley needs to go back to being patient and reading his blocks. I like the LeVeon Bell running style.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Yaaaay another Gurley/Offensive line thread :blah:

Is it me or does it seems like the same subjects pop up just different titles?