Gonzalez: Special teams should remain a strength for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Special teams should remain a strength for Rams

Alden Gonzalez

From now until the start of free agency on March 7, we've taken a position-by-position look at the Los Angeles Rams in eight installments. The Rams -- coming off a 4-12 season that prompted the hiring of rookie head coach Sean McVay -- have about $40 million in cap space but do not have a first-round draft pick. They also have a lot of needs, all of which can feel a little overwhelming without breaking it down by section. We'll do that here. Last but not least: special teams. (Previous: WR/TE, DL, OL, LB, RB, QB, D
cool.gif

Key returnees: P Johnny Hekker, PR Tavon Austin, LS Jake McQuaide

Notable free agents: K Greg Zuerlein, KR Benny Cunningham

Top free agents available (for now): Ks Phil Dawson, Steven Hauschka, Robbie Gould, Nick Novak, Connor Barth

Key stat: The Rams broke an NFL record by placing 51 punts inside the 20-yard line in 2016, with only one touchback. Hekker, invited to his third Pro Bowl, also led the NFL with a 46.0 net punting average, breaking his own single-season record. The Rams' punt coverage team allowed an average of 4.3 yards per punt return, the lowest in the league.

You can critique a lot about these Rams, but not on special teams. Their punter, Hekker, is the best in the business, someone who is also a threat with the pass on fourth down and someone who was worthy of effusive praise from the typically reticent Bill Belichick. Their kick returner, Cunningham, has averaged 27.1 return yards over the last three years, fifth-best in the NFL. Their punt returner, Austin, has returned three punts for touchdowns in his four-year career, with a handful of others called back because of penalties. Their kicker, Zuerlein, has one of the game's strongest legs, with two field goals of 60 yards or longer in his career. And the likes of Bradley Marquez, Chase Reynolds and Cody Davis are solid in coverage.

The Rams have a decision to make with Zuerlein, who returned on a one-year contract last offseason and improved his field-goal percentage from 66.7 in 2015 (dead last among those with at least 15 attempts) to 86.4 in 2016 (10th). They also have to think about Cunningham, who doubles as a valuable change-of-pace running back for Todd Gurley. If Cunningham doesn't return, Pharoh Cooper, a fourth-round pick out of South Carolina in 2016, could take over on kickoff returns. That will be up to the new coaches. And they'll make those decisions alongside longtime special-teams coordinator John Fassel, a team favorite and one of few holdovers from the Jeff Fisher staff.

“I’m very fortunate, really," Fassel, the interim coach for the final three games of the 2016 season, said of returning. "I’m super happy to be back. Coach McVay invited me back. It took about half a second to say yes because this is where I wanted to be. To be here with the new staff, it kind of feels like you’re joining a new team, even though I’ve been here now in my sixth year. It’s a fun, fresh start.”

[www.espn.com]

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Special teams should remain a strength for Rams

Alden Gonzalez

From now until the start of free agency on March 7, we've taken a position-by-position look at the Los Angeles Rams in eight installments. The Rams -- coming off a 4-12 season that prompted the hiring of rookie head coach Sean McVay -- have about $40 million in cap space but do not have a first-round draft pick. They also have a lot of needs, all of which can feel a little overwhelming without breaking it down by section. We'll do that here. Last but not least: special teams. (Previous: WR/TE, DL, OL, LB, RB, QB, D
cool.gif

Key returnees: P Johnny Hekker, PR Tavon Austin, LS Jake McQuaide

Notable free agents: K Greg Zuerlein, KR Benny Cunningham

Top free agents available (for now): Ks Phil Dawson, Steven Hauschka, Robbie Gould, Nick Novak, Connor Barth

Key stat: The Rams broke an NFL record by placing 51 punts inside the 20-yard line in 2016, with only one touchback. Hekker, invited to his third Pro Bowl, also led the NFL with a 46.0 net punting average, breaking his own single-season record. The Rams' punt coverage team allowed an average of 4.3 yards per punt return, the lowest in the league.

You can critique a lot about these Rams, but not on special teams. Their punter, Hekker, is the best in the business, someone who is also a threat with the pass on fourth down and someone who was worthy of effusive praise from the typically reticent Bill Belichick. Their kick returner, Cunningham, has averaged 27.1 return yards over the last three years, fifth-best in the NFL. Their punt returner, Austin, has returned three punts for touchdowns in his four-year career, with a handful of others called back because of penalties. Their kicker, Zuerlein, has one of the game's strongest legs, with two field goals of 60 yards or longer in his career. And the likes of Bradley Marquez, Chase Reynolds and Cody Davis are solid in coverage.

The Rams have a decision to make with Zuerlein, who returned on a one-year contract last offseason and improved his field-goal percentage from 66.7 in 2015 (dead last among those with at least 15 attempts) to 86.4 in 2016 (10th). They also have to think about Cunningham, who doubles as a valuable change-of-pace running back for Todd Gurley. If Cunningham doesn't return, Pharoh Cooper, a fourth-round pick out of South Carolina in 2016, could take over on kickoff returns. That will be up to the new coaches. And they'll make those decisions alongside longtime special-teams coordinator John Fassel, a team favorite and one of few holdovers from the Jeff Fisher staff.

“I’m very fortunate, really," Fassel, the interim coach for the final three games of the 2016 season, said of returning. "I’m super happy to be back. Coach McVay invited me back. It took about half a second to say yes because this is where I wanted to be. To be here with the new staff, it kind of feels like you’re joining a new team, even though I’ve been here now in my sixth year. It’s a fun, fresh start.”

[www.espn.com]
I think it would be a mistake to not resign Cunningham and Zuerlein. And I'm just as sure the Rams will do it, keeping our ST in tact is critical!
I think, with Fassel Back, This position group will 'Light-it-Up' in 2017!!