Gonzalez: Sean McVay likes to attack deep, will seek more balance with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sean McVay likes to attack deep, will seek more balance with Rams

Alden Gonzalez

LOS ANGELES -- The sample size is too small for Sean McVay. He has only been an offensive coordinator for one team; only called plays for two seasons. At 31 -- younger than any head coach in the NFL's modern era -- McVay is too early in his career to have solidified his offensive philosophy, which is part of what makes his transition to the Los Angeles Rams so unpredictable and so enthralling.

With the Washington Redskins, McVay helped Kirk Cousins compile the NFL's fourth-highest Total QBR from 2015 to '16 and led an offense that ranked sixth in yards, ninth in points and third in third-down conversions over that two-year stretch. But McVay was handling a more experienced quarterback, a better group up front and a dynamic collection of receivers. With the Rams, he takes over an offense that has amassed the NFL's fewest yards each of the last two years -- with a 22-year-old quarterback, an uninspiring group of pass-catchers and perhaps the game's worst offensive line.

How much of McVay's scheme moves with him from D.C. to L.A. remains wholly uncertain, but that doesn't mean we can't learn from the evidence presented to us. Below are three of the main takeaways from McVay's Redskins offense.

Stretching the field vertically

Seven days before McVay was hired as the Rams' head coach, he sat alone with Jared Goff and went over film for two hours. Goff left that meeting ecstatic about what McVay's offense could do for his career. He talked about how "everything kind of runs through the quarterback" and said he expects McVay to "bring out the best in me."

Goff, the 2016 No. 1 overall pick, was forced to make a lot of adjustments coming out of Cal, which ran an Air Raid offense that spread the field and prompted Goff to take almost every snap from the shotgun. But McVay often resembled a spread offense with the Redskins. He frequently ran formations with DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Jamison Crowder and Jordan Reed, a tight end, out wide, designing an assortment of deep vertical routes mixed with short, easy targets to take advantage of a soft middle of the field. He loved trips formations, running complex routes off of them that confused defenders. And he did a nice job of using motion before the snap to set up deep strikes down the field.

The play below illustrates several key aspects of McVay's offense: (1) motion before the snap, (2) use of play action, (3) unique routes off trips. It came in the season finale against the Giants, in the third quarter of a 19-10 loss. On first-and-10 with less than three minutes left, Cousins sent tight end Vernon Davis in motion to the right side of the screen. At the snap, the two outside receivers ran post routes towards the middle of the field, while Davis ran a deep fade up the right sideline.

upload_2017-2-1_7-47-59.png

The safety had to pay attention to the deep post and the outside corner had his eyes fixed on the outside receiver. That allowed Davis to beat the slot corner in single coverage and make a 31-yard, heel-tap catch near the 15-yard line. You can see the finish here.

upload_2017-2-1_7-48-32.png

Only one team, the Steelers, attempted more passes of at least 20 yards than the Redskins this past season. The Redskins used three-receiver sets more often than all but four teams, and in the vast majority of those sets, a tight end -- either Reed or Davis or both -- also acted as a downfield threat. Their vertical passing game opened things up, but it also became a hindrance in the red zone. Only 45.9 percent of the Redskins' red zone drives resulted in touchdowns, fourth-worst in the NFL, because spreading things out doesn't work so well with a shrunken field.

They needed a bigger threat with the run, which brings us to our next point.

Unbalanced attack

Chris Cooley, the former Redskins tight end who is now part of the organization's broadcast team, will tell you McVay "believes in a true run-pass balance system." He just wasn't able to implement that with the Redskins. McVay's offense averaged 23.7 rushing attempts per game, ranked 27th in the NFL even though it didn't play from behind very often. Cousins, meanwhile, was one of six quarterbacks to attempt more than 600 passes in 2016.

The Redskins averaged a solid 4.5 rushing yards per carry, but Cooley will tell you that's "entirely misleading, because there were 10 games this season when we could not run the football at all."

As a result, the Redskins threw frequently and unconventionally. They attempted 232 passes on first down and 80 passes in the red zone, both marks within the top 10. One of McVay's best skills was designing plays that put the Redskins in favorable third-down situations, evidenced by the fact they needed 3 or fewer yards on 32.2 percent of their third-down plays in 2016, fourth-highest in the NFL. But they were rarely able to do it on the ground, and correcting that will be a major focus for McVay with the Rams.

Todd Gurley, coming off a disastrous sophomore season, is traditionally a downhill runner who prefers to run behind a fullback or a pulling guard. Goff is more comfortable taking snaps from the shotgun and running a spread offense. McVay must strike a favorable balance, which brings us to our last point.

Ability to adapt

A turning point for McVay came on Dec. 7, 2015. The Redskins lost to the Cowboys, 19-16, on Monday Night Football and ran the ball on 16 of their 23 first-down plays. Their play-calling was too predictable and too basic. McVay vowed to turn up the aggressiveness. He soon adapted to an offense that was better-suited for throwing the football. He maximized Jackson's abilities as a deep threat, utilized Reed's skills on the outside and, according to several of those who watched that offense closely, constantly put his receivers in position to succeed.

Some say McVay was simply running an offense installed by head coach Jay Gruden. But there were shades of Mike and Kyle Shanahan, particularly the outside stretch zone and the bootlegs. McVay also incorporated the power run concepts of offensive line coach Bill Callahan. And he added his own wrinkles, too.

Two weeks after that fateful Monday night loss to the Cowboys, Cousins wasmic'd up for NFL Films in a game against the Bills. At one point, Cousins walked over to McVay on the sideline and said, “Look at what putting our foot on the gas pedal the whole time has done.” McVay's response: “That's what we did last week, too. I'm going to keep doing that. I'm learning, too.”

The Redskins beat the Cowboys, 34-23, to finish the 2015 season. When the two teams met again in Week 2 of the 2016 season, the Redskins lost, 27-23, but gained 432 yards from scrimmage, even though Cousins missed two open receivers for long touchdowns. There was no way Cousins could miss Josh Doctson in the early stages of the fourth quarter, however. The rookie receiver was too open. It happened, once again, on first down, with motion before the snap and off play-action passing.

upload_2017-2-1_7-49-18.png

Doctson was motioned to the other side of the field, lining up almost directly behind Jackson. At the snap, Jackson ran a post and took both defenders with him, leaving Doctson wide open on a fly route for a 57-yard gain. The Redskins led by three, were just starting their fourth-quarter drive and had lined up in an offset-I formation. A deep pass down the field was the last thing the Cowboys expected. You can see the play here.

upload_2017-2-1_7-49-52.png

McVay has a lot to learn as a young, first-year head coach, but he will call plays for the Rams in 2017.

And he promises to adapt to his personnel.

"When you talk about forming an offensive identity, it's about first let's figure out what our players do best," McVay said at his introductory press conference. "What does Jared do best? How can we maximize Todd, and Tavon [Austin], and our linemen up front? We're going to continue to get to know our players, figure out what they do best, and fit our scheme to their skill-sets."

[www.espn.com]

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Man I forgot they drafted Josh Doctson....dudes gonna be a beast.

I'd personally like to see our current roster running these schemes....I remember Davis...the TE...looked like garbage. Now, he's a mentor to Reed...and productive. what happened?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remember opening night against the 9ers when they were jumping on everything sideline to sideline because the rams weren't threatening them with vertical routes? Yeah this article has me excited about changing that

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But McVay was handling a more experienced quarterback

Hate to split hairs but Alden is stretching things a bit there. He did not inherit a QB who had much more experience when he started out with the Skins than he will this year with Goff. Cousins grew with McVay just like Goff will.

But anyway. The running game is going to be crucial for us, no doubt, but what is interesting about McVay's offense is it is similar to what we had under Martz in unpredictability, tendency to strike downfield on early downs, and desire to make a defense defend the entire field. So his YPC numbers in the run game in Washington reflect that, in that defenses can't focus solely on the run and they'll pop big carries, but when the defenses know they need to run it like in the redzone they struggle.

What I find interesting is that he will have a RB in Gurley who has that gear for busting longer runs, so it might be a really nice marriage. That and introduction of more power blocking concepts to focus on what this group of OL should do best, plus an addition in FA and the draft, and we might have something there.

I'm pretty pumped to see what this offense does. Can't wait to watch them start assembling the pieces.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
If he can bring back last year's Todd Gurley we will be just fine , goff doesn't need to be a pro bowler for this team to win .

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
If he can bring back last year's Todd Gurley we will be just fine , goff doesn't need to be a pro bowler for this team to win .
Getting Gurley back on track would help but I have to disagree with you on Goff. He needs to be a Pro bowler type of QB for this team to turn the corner. Game manager is not going to cut it. We paid a ton for the kid if he's average or just above average he's a bust because of the cost to get him. We need all the help we can get.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I don't want last years Todd Gurley. Give me the 2015 one from the year before last.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am most interested in what happens with the offensive line. Do they bring in new players? Does Kroemer coach them to play better? Do they move them around a bit? Also do we finally see Quick shown the door? Do they bring in any more reliable pass catchers? Or do they like some of the younger guys like Spruce, Thomas, and Cooper?

jap

Legend
But anyway. The running game is going to be crucial for us, no doubt, but what is interesting about McVay's offense is it is similar to what we had under Martz in unpredictability, tendency to strike downfield on early downs, and desire to make a defense defend the entire field. So his YPC numbers in the run game in Washington reflect that, in that defenses can't focus solely on the run and they'll pop big carries, but when the defenses know they need to run it like in the redzone they struggle.

What I find interesting is that he will have a RB in Gurley who has that gear for busting longer runs, so it might be a really nice marriage. That and introduction of more power blocking concepts to focus on what this group of OL should do best, plus an addition in FA and the draft, and we might have something there.

I'm pretty pumped to see what this offense does. Can't wait to watch them start assembling the pieces.

Exactly! This is what I have been screaming for since 2015 when we saw what the Gurley Man is capable of. Make the defense defend the entire field, every single stinkin' blade of grass, artificial or natural. The onus will be on young Jared to prove he can beat the defense when they key on Todd . . . just as the unproven Kurt Warner had to show he could hurt defenders when they muscled up against the known threat, Marshall Faulk.

We gotta get some receivers with seriously soft hands and good-to-great route running skills to force defenders to play honest. We need some seriously good pass blocking to keep Jared upright while he executes seek-and-destroy missions against opposing secondaries. Assuming Todd comes back pumped for 2017 (and he had better be, dammit!!!!), there isn't much defenses that even have a prayer of containing him with defenders who are forced to play the whole field.

Will we be partying like it's 1999 anytime soon?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we want to attack deep, we gotta get an OL in front of Goff.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yep, it all hinges on whether this OL can pull their collective heads out of their ass. It is almost incomprehensible that this Rams "brain trust" may have whiffed on every OL pick they have ever made....and they have made a TON of them.

TexasRam

Legend
I love the fit Mcvay is for Goff. I'm confident he can turn Goff into a big time QB. But it will be a process.

Building an Oline and WR crew in one season is not easy.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Getting Gurley back on track would help but I have to disagree with you on Goff. He needs to be a Pro bowler type of QB for this team to turn the corner. Game manager is not going to cut it. We paid a ton for the kid if he's average or just above average he's a bust because of the cost to get him. We need all the help we can get.
It's only year 2 no way he needs to be top qb for this team to win games , they were competitive in alot of the games this past season and played good against a few playoff teams . If Gurley steps up and they protect Goff , it will be night and day compared to last seasons joke of an offense.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
It's only year 2 no way he needs to be top qb for this team to win games , they were competitive in alot of the games this past season and played good against a few playoff teams . If Gurley steps up and they protect Goff , it will be night and day compared to last seasons joke of an offense.
I don't care what year it is he cost us a lot of draft picks he can't be "just" a game manger. This offense sucks and it's been like this for a couple of years now. Being competitive and losing is still losing. The only reason we weren't blown out in more games was because of the defense. It's possible that starting next we could lose the remaining half of our starting secondary from 2 years ago! Our defense will slip because rookies can't replace guy's like Jenkins, Tru, McDonald and McLeod. Only way this offense gets better is if Goff plays lights out. He needs to because outside of him and Gurley there is no talent on this awful offense.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The positive ripple effects of top notch coaching on a struggling O cannot be overstated.

Goff
Higbee
Austin
Britt (if retained)
Cooper
Gurley
Several OL players

All will feel like new men under the tutelage of this McVay staff.

Plus we can probably expect a couple of FA and a couple of high draft picks to be brought in for this O, as well.

Gonna be a night and day difference on O this year, gentlemen.

I'm pumped!