Gonzalez: Rams QB Sean Mannion will probably back up Jared Goff in 2017

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You arguing the wrong points. I been acknowledged that this team is going to build with Goff either win or lose with him, but don't think they aren't going to be looking nice and hard at Mannion. Goff can not take all the reps he can't play in every preseason game all 4 quarters. Somehow you think that just because they are building around Goff that they are just going to ignore Mannion, I would hope that they don't no matter who the backup is because that would mean that they are no better then the previous regime. You have to develop every player that's on that roster
I'm not arguing any points, in fact I am not arguing at all.
You brought Goff in to the conversation, not me. His situation and Mannion is polar opposite. Goff, the team/coaching staff is being built around him the way it should have been done in his rookie year.
As for Mannion? Currently he is the #2 QB, as he is the only other QB on the roster. I never said they would ignore him, that's silly. The fact is, he only has 2 years left on his rookie deal, is going to learn a new system, and isn't an overly impressive prospect. But, being he's there he gets somewhat of an inside track. Make no mistake however, the Rams will look to get more arms in camp and that opens the door for him to be beaten out for the #2 job.
No arguments, just stating facts really.
All the "nice things" said about him by the coaches is merely coach speak at this point

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
If Jerod Evans out of Virginia Tech is available in the 6th or 7th round, I'd pounce and make him my developmental QB. I'm sure one will be picked up as an UDFA for a camp arm as well.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not arguing any points, in fact I am not arguing at all.
You brought Goff in to the conversation, not me. His situation and Mannion is polar opposite. Goff, the team/coaching staff is being built around him the way it should have been done in his rookie year.
As for Mannion? Currently he is the #2 QB, as he is the only other QB on the roster. I never said they would ignore him, that's silly. The fact is, he only has 2 years left on his rookie deal, is going to learn a new system, and isn't an overly impressive prospect. But, being he's there he gets somewhat of an inside track. Make no mistake however, the Rams will look to get more arms in camp and that opens the door for him to be beaten out for the #2 job.
No arguments, just stating facts really.
All the "nice things" said about him by the coaches is merely coach speak at this point

We will see how these QBs do in camp in fact we can make any wager you want to. Mannion will the the number 2 qb and he will even outplay and look better than Goff.. he did it last year and he will do it this year too. So keep in my all the "coach speak" that's going on about Goff too.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We will see how these QBs do in camp in fact we can make any wager you want to. Mannion will the the number 2 qb and he will even outplay and look better than Goff.. he did it last year and he will do it this year too. So keep in my all the "coach speak" that's going on about Goff too.
That's where you're wrong. Its not coach speak, Goff didn't have the support he should have so the Rams cleaned house and hired a coach to get him what he needs. Actions speak louder than words. And the Rams actions spoke loudly.
Rams will bring in likely a rookie and I'd figure a cheap vet for camp arms. We'll see if Mannion can hold them off for the #2 spot

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's where you're wrong. Its not coach speak, Goff didn't have the support he should have so the Rams cleaned house and hired a coach to get him what he needs. Actions speak louder than words. And the Rams actions spoke loudly.
Rams will bring in likely a rookie and I'd figure a cheap vet for camp arms. We'll see if Mannion can hold them off for the #2 spot

He will and if Goff doesn't improve he go find that number 1 spot getting warmer

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think if we could bring in Brian Hoyer as a veteran backup would be nice.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I think since this team will be heading into the right direction we can give Hekker more rest on punting on every possession if need be he can be our 3rd QB.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I find it peculiar that is what you hope for, but to each their own.

No I don't hope for anything. I want the Rams to WIN if I feel like qb B can do it instead of Qb A that's on me. You cant point out one time I said I hope Goff fails. It's a far cry from people just flat out dismissing Mannion because he wasn't the number 1 draft choice and say things like Goff he didn't have the right support staff.. every arugument that's made as excuses for Goff I can say the same about Mannion. The difference is the vast Majority believes in Goff while I don't. That doesn't mean I don't want him to succeed because I do. I'm a fan of this Team not Goff

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
. I'm a fan of this Team not Goff
And Goff is the QB of the team. I don't know how to be one and not the other. The team decided to throw all their chips in, and move up to draft their QB of the future. Now they've invested heavily in a staff who is bent on getting him there.
Goff is the future and for Mannion to get a shot, which you are clearly hoping for, requires either an injury or an epic failure. So for me, a fan of the team would not want to have wasted all that draft equity.
So, we'll see how it goes. But clearly the best outcome would involve no other QB taking the field for the Rams than #16.