Gonzalez: Rams QB Sean Mannion will probably back up Jared Goff in 2017

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They need a couple of camp arms. You can't have just two QBs throwing all off-season and preseason. That's just too much wear & tear on the biceps and shoulders. One camp arm may very well be an older vet who will hang around as a third stringer.
Guys like Case Keenum, Kellen Clemmens and other 2nd stringers, seem to have a long life in the NFL. If you want to collect a paycheck year after year with little physical contact, going 2nd string QB or Kicker is your path to riches....

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Guys like Case Keenum, Kellen Clemmens and other 2nd stringers, seem to have a long life in the NFL. If you want to collect a paycheck year after year with little physical contact, going 2nd string QB or Kicker is your path to riches....

Shaun Hill 37 & 15 year career. Still backing up Sam Bradford .

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm excited to see Mannion get some real opportunities in camp this year. I think he can play.

Meanwhile my boy David Fales is still wasting away buried in Chicago. He'd be a real nice fit in McVay's offense.

I think McVay will handpick somebody to possibly challenge in camp.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can count on at least 2 more QB in camp. I know Mannion has a cult following, but I don't see that the staff has endorsed him in any way, he just happens to be the only other QB on the roster at the moment...
I wouldn't be surprised if they draft a QB and sign a PS player that may be familiar with either McVay or LaFleur. Matt Simms would be a guy I'd like to get in camp. He tore it up in PS last year for Atlanta

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You can count on at least 2 more QB in camp. I know Mannion has a cult following, but I don't see that the staff has endorsed him in any way, he just happens to be the only other QB on the roster at the moment...
I wouldn't be surprised if they draft a QB and sign a PS player that may be familiar with either McVay or LaFleur. Matt Simms would be a guy I'd like to get in camp. He tore it up in PS last year for Atlanta

I agree with this.

But, I do think Mannion has a good shot at sticking as BU #1.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They have endorsed Mannion from Snead to McVay they both have talked about liking him a lot. McVay likes qb who have played a lot in college he likes the fact that Mannion is already ahead of the curve when it comes to reading defenses and making protection calls. That's the one area he keep mentioning that Goff has to improve on.. you don't hear him talk about Mannion because reporters aren't asking about Mannion. Listen to his interview when he was on a Washington radio station and you will hear it all

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Matt Simms definitely didn't tear it up in Preseason 1 touchdown 2 interceptions with 2 fumbles lost.. meanwhile you have Mannion who is younger played with and being coached by a severely inept coaching staff and he has 4 touchdowns only 1 interception no fumbles lost.. lol but Matt Simms tore it up

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
They need a couple of camp arms. You can't have just two QBs throwing all off-season and preseason. That's just too much wear & tear on the biceps and shoulders. One camp arm may very well be an older vet who will hang around as a third stringer.

Bring in a salty veteran QB with good mentoring skills. Cut him after camp but tell him be ready in case of emergency.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They have endorsed Mannion from Snead to McVay they both have talked about liking him a lot. McVay likes qb who have played a lot in college he likes the fact that Mannion is already ahead of the curve when it comes to reading defenses and making protection calls. That's the one area he keep mentioning that Goff has to improve on.. you don't hear him talk about Mannion because reporters aren't asking about Mannion. Listen to his interview when he was on a Washington radio station and you will hear it all
Of course they are saying nice things about him. He's under contract. You think they'd say "we'll replace him as soon as we find an ample replacement"??
He'll get a chance to make the team, but he's gonna have to earn it

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course they are saying nice things about him. He's under contract. You think they'd say "we'll replace him as soon as we find an ample replacement"??
He'll get a chance to make the team, but he's gonna have to earn it

You can use that same argument about everyone on the roster. I was just replying to you because you said they wasn't talking up Mannion.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can use that same argument about everyone on the roster. I was just replying to you because you said they wasn't talking up Mannion.
No you cant. Mannion isn't a factor. McVay and staff are entirely focused on getting Goff ready, making up for lost time that Fisher blew. He has a shot to make the team, to be the back up. But its far from guaranteed

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I really must've missed the interview where he specified what he liked about Mannion. One thing I'll say and I don't care if Sean is the backup or not. A young coach teaching a young team a new system is very likely to bring in a veteran QB familiar with his system to help out. There's a very good shot that Sean could be QB3 again and inactive on Sundays. I'd say just as good of a chance as he's the backup.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Matt Simms definitely didn't tear it up in Preseason 1 touchdown 2 interceptions with 2 fumbles lost.. meanwhile you have Mannion who is younger played with and being coached by a severely inept coaching staff and he has 4 touchdowns only 1 interception no fumbles lost.. lol but Matt Simms tore it up
Yeah, pre-season 1 wasn't great but he killed in game 2, where Mannion was pedestrian at best.
You know how many players struggle in the 1st game of pre-season?
He's just an example of a jag that can come in and compete with Mannion

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, pre-season 1 wasn't great but he killed in game 2, where Mannion was pedestrian at best.
You know how many players struggle in the 1st game of pre-season?
He's just an example of a jag that can come in and compete with Mannion
lol that was his entire preseason stats. He has been in the league longer than Mannion and the guy just isn't good.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really must've missed the interview where he specified what he liked about Mannion. One thing I'll say and I don't care if Sean is the backup or not. A young coach teaching a young team a new system is very likely to bring in a veteran QB familiar with his system to help out. There's a very good shot that Sean could be QB3 again and inactive on Sundays. I'd say just as good of a chance as he's the backup.

Yeah Scirca posted it a while back I'm sure you can find it and listen to it. I'm not saying they aren't going to bring in a camp arm or veteran I'm just fairly certain that with our cap space and Sean Cheap deal that he will be the backup

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No you cant. Mannion isn't a factor. McVay and staff are entirely focused on getting Goff ready, making up for lost time that Fisher blew. He has a shot to make the team, to be the back up. But its far from guaranteed

You think they go come out and say yeah Goff really stunk it up last year his accuracy was terrible and we don't like him.. lol they are keeping everything diplomatic. And that's what they are supposed to do the backup qb position is the second most important position on the team. So you better hope Mannion is a factor that's if you actually like the team and not just a player

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'll put ROD bucks that Mannion has a better grasp of the new offense...by a LOT and a whole lot quicker.

Still think Goff is the guy, but Mannion was the first to learn the plays when they traded for Nick Foles and Mannion was a Rookie that year.

Won't surprise me if Mannion looks a little better early. Doesn't mean he's the guy or anything, but just saying that due to Mannion being a coach's kid, gym rat and super high football IQ, I think he starts out faster.

Good news is that we finally have offensive coaches who are going to develop both our QBs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think they go come out and say yeah Goff really stunk it up last year his accuracy was terrible and we don't like him.. lol they are keeping everything diplomatic. And that's what they are supposed to do the backup qb position is the second most important position on the team. So you better hope Mannion is a factor that's if you actually like the team and not just a player
They are building the team around Goff.
If you can't see that, well I guess there are those who think the world is flat too.
Mannion may make the team but he's going to have to work for it

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are building the team around Goff.
If you can't see that, well I guess there are those who think the world is flat too.
Mannion may make the team but he's going to have to work for it

You arguing the wrong points. I been acknowledged that this team is going to build with Goff either win or lose with him, but don't think they aren't going to be looking nice and hard at Mannion. Goff can not take all the reps he can't play in every preseason game all 4 quarters. Somehow you think that just because they are building around Goff that they are just going to ignore Mannion, I would hope that they don't no matter who the backup is because that would mean that they are no better then the previous regime. You have to develop every player that's on that roster