Gonzalez: Rams QB Sean Mannion will probably back up Jared Goff in 2017

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams QB Sean Mannion will probably back up Jared Goff in 2017

By Alden Gonzalez

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- At this time last year, the Los Angeles Rams were all about the quarterback. They entered the scouting combine with the 15th overall pick in the upcoming draft, and the likes of Jared Goff, Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch weighed heavily on their minds. The Rams eventually traded up for the No. 1 overall pick and drafted Goff out of Cal.

Now the quarterback position is the furthest thing from their mind.

Goff will be the starter this coming season, and Sean Mannion, a third-round pick in 2015, is expected to be his backup. The Rams won't pay much attention to the quarterback position, be it in the draft or in free agency or via trade. The most they're expected to do is sign a third-string quarterback down the road, for training camp and the preseason.

Tony Romo and Jay Cutler are expected to be made available, but the Rams won't really care. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown, Matt Schaub, Matt McGloin and Mike Glennon are appealing backup options in free agency, but the Rams are expected to stay in-house. They have too many other needs, particularly at receiver and along their offensive line. And they're intrigued by Mannion, who was taken 89th overall out of Oregon State in 2015.

The Rams are hopeful that Mannion -- and Goff, of course -- can take a big developmental step under new coach Sean McVay, who worked wonders with Kirk Cousins in Washington.

Mannion has only thrown 13 passes in his NFL career. He spent most of the last two years as an inactive third-string quarterback, but towards the end of the Rams' eventual 4-12 season in 2016, Mannion was promoted to backup duties. He jumped ahead of Case Keenum, who will soon become an unrestricted free agent, for the final three games. And he got some snaps towards the end of their regular-season finale.

"I feel like I've made huge strides," Mannion said as the season was winding down. "... Without getting a chance to play, maybe it doesn’t show to you guys and you guys aren’t able to see it, but I certainly feel like I’ve been getting better and better each day and each week, from last year to this year. That’s something I feel good about."

[www.espn.com]

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Don't mind having 2 Nor. Cal boys leading this Team. I am fine with Goff as 1 and Mannion as 2. They both indeed will be developed properly under McVay and do great things down the road.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
The next captain obvious article: Gonzalez: The Rams will play in Los Angeles.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What are we gonna do with all the receivers already on the roster????

Who is this "they" that Gonzales speaks of?
McVay said it himself he was evaluated Mannion in college said that he really liked him because he was a 4 yr starter very smart played under center and can make all the throws.. scirca posted a interview a while back when he made those statements

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
What are we gonna do with all the receivers already on the roster????

Who is this "they" that Gonzales speaks of?
"They" are the lint balls in his pockets.

Ram65

Legend
Interesting preseason for the QBs this year. They both need reps. Goff has to play with the ones as much as possible. How much is a good question. Obviously that have to play it save but, they also have to have Goff learn the offense and develop timing with everyone including new WR(s). Some good things about Mannion are that he doesn't cost much and is now going into his 3rd year as a pro. He should be a decent backup but, we have seen much of him to know what he will provide.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
McVay said it himself he was evaluated Mannion in college said that he really liked him because he was a 4 yr starter very smart played under center and can make all the throws
McVay likes everybody right now...:yess::violin::blah:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Can't wait until McVay develops Mannion to the point we have a valued asset and teams want to trade for him!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't mind having 2 Nor. Cal boys leading this Team. I am fine with Goff as 1 and Mannion as 2. They both indeed will be developed properly under McVay and do great things down the road.
I so hope that you are right..I have little confidence in any coach, able to develop anyone into anything more than they naturally are....Hope I am wrong.

Jayson

UDFA
Name
Jayson
Kind of goes without saying that they won't bring Keenum back but glad to officially hear it. I like mannion a lot and I think him and goff working together, only, will be great for this team.

jap

Legend
Johnny: "Of course, the team knows who the real QB star is - namely, me!, the bastard grandson of ole Slingin' Sammy Baugh himself. Too bad these modern NFL teams are afraid to use triple threat guys like me in all three phases of my game today. I could be the league's top signal caller, one of the best lock down CB's, and - of course - I'm already the best punter. It's such a pity they are only using a third of all I can be."

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Never would have happened under Fisher. Mannion would either be trade bait or waste his last year with continuing lack of dev. I'd have bet all my ROD bucks that Fisher would have kept Keenum.

Just one more reason why McVay >>>>>>>> Fisher and they haven't even had a practice or meeting, yet.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I wouldn't mind this but who would be the 3rd? I'm pretty sure Keenum is leaving , so do they draft a rookie or go veteran?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't mind this but who would be the 3rd? I'm pretty sure Keenum is leaving , so do they draft a rookie or go veteran?
I think they really only plan on carrying 2 qbs on the active roster, they are bringing in a camp arm and might stash someone on PS but with soo many other holes in the roster they plan on using that 3rd qb slot for another player

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they really only plan on carrying 2 qbs on the active roster, they are bringing in a camp arm and might stash someone on PS but with soo many other holes in the roster they plan on using that 3rd qb slot for another player
If we ever get down to a 3rd QB starting, we are probably picking Top 5 in the 2019 Draft anyways...

jap

Legend
They need a couple of camp arms. You can't have just two QBs throwing all off-season and preseason. That's just too much wear & tear on the biceps and shoulders. One camp arm may very well be an older vet who will hang around as a third stringer.